Crate Size For Dalmation Puppy

Mthetealady

We will be welcoming our new Dalmatian puppy into our home in a few weeks time and I have decided to crate train her. I was wondering whether I should purchase a smaller crate for her to use during her puppyhood, or if I should just go straight to the adult size? If I were to go straight to the adult size, what size do you guys think would be best for an adult Dal? The crate will mainly be just for sleeping in - she will have access to roam the house and yard during the day (as an adult dog).

Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by Mthetealady

I would go straight for the adult size; some come with a partition to make them smaller or you could make your own if need be...

If you go to the commercial market place thread, k9 pro is having a sale on their wire crates ;-)

I wrote a reply earlier but then the forum went offline :(

My dally Cleo has a 42" crate (Kramar brand, it's the XL). It's very roomy for her, and I could fit another dog in there with her! She likes to sleep all stretched out though so it's perfect for her.

I hope you post lots of photos of your baby! I'm getting a 2nd dally pup next year (fingers crossed!).

If you're on facebook, you may want to have a look at this group that I am a part of --> http://www.facebook.com/groups/Dals.of.Aus.and.NZ/

we're all just dally lovers on that page and any dally owner or lover is welcome :) might be helpful if you have any dally specific questions!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone :) it sounds like a 42 inch crate is the go. This pup will be our second Dal. We lost our beloved Pippa last year (she was a month shy of 17 years old) - she's the Dally in my profile photo. We are so excited to welcome our new puppy into our family as we have really missed having Pip by our sides these past months. I will post photos as soon as we take ownership of our puppy - I'm not sure of the etiquette involved with posting photos from the breeder, but I don't want to put any photos up here unless they are pics we have taken ourselves. She is a gorgeous little girl though (not that I'm biased or anything) :D Thanks too Dotdashdot for the Facebook link - I have just asked to join the group and I see that our puppy's sire's owner is also a member of that page!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone :) it sounds like a 42 inch crate is the go. This pup will be our second Dal. We lost our beloved Pippa last year (she was a month shy of 17 years old) - she's the Dally in my profile photo. We are so excited to welcome our new puppy into our family as we have really missed having Pip by our sides these past months. I will post photos as soon as we take ownership of our puppy - I'm not sure of the etiquette involved with posting photos from the breeder, but I don't want to put any photos up here unless they are pics we have taken ourselves. She is a gorgeous little girl though (not that I'm biased or anything) :D Thanks too Dotdashdot for the Facebook link - I have just asked to join the group and I see that our puppy's sire's owner is also a member of that page!

I think I saw you added on there, you wrote about having a dal before. I'm Sarah L on that page. You'll see me post from time to time.

Who is the sire's owner if I can ask? (feel free to PM) I'm starting to get to know all the breeders now, which is handy coz not knowing anyone at shows is daunting!

I think I saw you added on there, you wrote about having a dal before. I'm Sarah L on that page. You'll see me post from time to time.

Who is the sire's owner if I can ask? (feel free to PM) I'm starting to get to know all the breeders now, which is handy coz not knowing anyone at shows is daunting!

I have PM'd you :)