Dangerous Dog Declaration (not Bsl)

Tazar

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has had their dog declared dangerous due to an incident in an off lead park (middle aged medium sized dog was charged by SWF and caused it injury)?

What steps did you take to try get the decision overturned? Vet reference, temperament test, training/behaviour modification with accredited organisation, solicitor??

Did you have success?

TIA

It only takes one incident and it doesn't matter if it is an off leash park.

I suggest ringing Steve of K9Pro. He is in another state but he has helped a few people with these so he might be able to offer advice or at least point you in the right direction.

Given you're in Victoria, how the dog looks will play a big part too, no doubt.

I thought you had to have documented incidents before it was claimed as a dangerous dog , not an incident in a dog park goodness ,,,, that is scary ..

Owners of the offending dog must have provided contact details at the scene for the ranger to catch up with them?. If your dog is genuinely in the right, tell them nothing as the owners of the injured dog will quite possibly try to stitch you up with council even when their dog was the cause.

Unfortunately the owners are honest people and gave their details, paid money towards medical expenses then gave their version of the story to the council without knowing how serious the situation was. If they just used better terminology to at least get it down to menacing dog they could have kept their old, arthritic dog for a few more years. (not so old and arthritic that it should be put down though).

They are shattered and cannot provide the containment part of the dangerous dog requirements. The reason the council gave was that the dog caused serious injury to another.

I have always hated dog parks now I think they should all be closed if this kind of thing can happen......

Will get on to the suggested contacts first thing in the morning (thanks) but I don't think they have a hope as the act says once declared it cannot be revoked.

What a sad, ludicrous state Victoria has become....

:mad

Unfortunately the owners are honest people and gave their details, paid money towards medical expenses then gave their version of the story to the council without knowing how serious the situation was. If they just used better terminology to at least get it down to menacing dog they could have kept their old, arthritic dog for a few more years. (not so old and arthritic that it should be put down though).

They are shattered and cannot provide the containment part of the dangerous dog requirements. The reason the council gave was that the dog caused serious injury to another.

I have always hated dog parks now I think they should all be closed if this kind of thing can happen......

Will get on to the suggested contacts first thing in the morning (thanks) but I don't think they have a hope as the act says once declared it cannot be revoked.

What a sad, ludicrous state Victoria has become....

:mad

Its not ludicrous at all.

What it does is it points out how seriously DOs should take their responsibilities and obligations when it comes to protecting their dogs.

I don't know about Victoria but in NSW the Declaration can be annulled after twelve months.

But you are absolutely right, a DDD is no life for a dog.

I think your best position is that: There is an expectation that dogs in off leash areas will behave like dogs. Therefore there is an obligation on each dog owner to provide for the welfare of the dog. Irrespective of the off leash expectations dogs are still protected by the provisions that it is not an offense if the dogs is; provoked teased or protecting property. Property includes protecting your person.

My case was a bit dfferent.

My dogs were simply at large and unfortunately encountered a woman with psychiatric issues.

The Council's case that the dogs were ordinarily dangerous was vacuous.

DDD Revoked

Edited by Tralee

Unfortunately the owners are honest people and gave their details, paid money towards medical expenses then gave their version of the story to the council without knowing how serious the situation was.

So after doing the right thing, the owners of the offending dog were dobbed in to council......wonderful :mad