Remove Stains From Beard

How do i stop the beard of my schnauzer from turning brown. My mini never had this problem but noticed a change in colour recently. I chop that part off but it goes brown again.

He doesn't drool or salivate but he licks things a lot and is a messy eater and drinker.

I was told to use tear stain solution and I read somewhere baking powder but not sure how to apply

• Like 1

Food is often the major factor ,chopping it wont do anything except make the beard sit like a dummy brush & take years to regrow back,every inch of that beard is the age of the dog & desn't grow like the leg hair.

Diet & cleaniness plays a big part

Food is often the major factor ,chopping it wont do anything except make the beard sit like a dummy brush & take years to regrow back,every inch of that beard is the age of the dog & desn't grow like the leg hair.

Diet & cleaniness plays a big part

Weird. He has been having the same diet since he was a puppy and only seemed to have started to colour recently. And doesn't happen with my other schnauzer who eats the same thing :confused:

Sometimes red staining can be yeast. I have found over the years that different foods do make a difference.

You could try washing the beard with Malaseb shampoo - is your dog scratching its ears and do they smell? Often if they have yeast in the beard their ears are affected.

Sometimes red staining can be yeast. I have found over the years that different foods do make a difference.

You could try washing the beard with Malaseb shampoo - is your dog scratching its ears and do they smell? Often if they have yeast in the beard their ears are affected.

Nope. ears are fine too.

I think Malaseb is too strong. I tried it on the body of one of my dogs with allergies and I can feel my hand burning. Don't want to put that anywhere near the mouth especially since he is a licker.

I'm currently using aloveen, but that doesn't clean the staining up at all.

One of my girls gets bad staining around her face, anywhere she licks a lot or chews changes the same colour as her face. None of the other three have this happen. I sometimes wonder if it is acidity in her body that causes the change in fur colour coming from her saliva? She used to chew her feet a lot till I changed her diet and her feet were the same colour as her face but since the diet change her feet are fine as she doesn't chew them any more but around her mouth is still stained, she also gets the staining in the corners of her eyes as well. I have always wondered if there is anything that can change the acidity and maybe that might make it go away but never been successful in finding anything. I could be on the totally wrong track here, its just a hunch really.

Interesting schnauzer. My dogs are on a grain free diet and Lucy still gets this.

giraffez - are your guys still on BH? It contains brewer's yeast

Yep still on BH but planning to switch soon. My big boy has been scratching like mad recently. Even so, i don't think its the kibbles thats causing the staining, both dogs eat the same thing, only one has staining.

Schnauzer, will give that a try next time. I read somewhere that breeders use baking soda to clean the beards for show, am i dreaming this up or do they really?

Edited by giraffez

Interesting schnauzer. My dogs are on a grain free diet and Lucy still gets this.

giraffez - are your guys still on BH? It contains brewer's yeast

Yep still on BH but planning to switch soon. My big boy has been scratching like mad recently. Even so, i don't think its the kibbles thats causing the staining, both dogs eat the same thing, only one has staining.

Schnauzer, will give that a try next time. I read somewhere that breeders use baking soda to clean the beards for show, am i dreaming this up or do they really?

If you chose to head down the show ring approach then you need to be prepared to do all the extra maintenance work that goes with it.Baking soda works BUT it is very drying & You need to use a very good after care approach BUT the staining won't go away unless you solve the issue.

Many of us in the ring simply use white chalk if required & then wash it out but a white beard is part of daily care & diet & that may mean whats good for one is bad for another .

We don't feed BH anymore as it makes ours itch like crazy .

Staining products are a short term solution & can be harsh .

Food does play a major part & if there a big drinker then there beard stays very moist & can because yeasty or itchy & they lick to soothe,

Ours aren't messy drinkers or eaters BUT the mor eyour time the beard the more that gets dirty because you trim the funnel edge off.

Do they get pig ears or any other things ??

Dies the dog have bad tonsils

If you chose to head down the show ring approach then you need to be prepared to do all the extra maintenance work that goes with it.Baking soda works BUT it is very drying & You need to use a very good after care approach BUT the staining won't go away unless you solve the issue.

Many of us in the ring simply use white chalk if required & then wash it out but a white beard is part of daily care & diet & that may mean whats good for one is bad for another .

We don't feed BH anymore as it makes ours itch like crazy .

Staining products are a short term solution & can be harsh .

Food does play a major part & if there a big drinker then there beard stays very moist & can because yeasty or itchy & they lick to soothe,

Ours aren't messy drinkers or eaters BUT the mor eyour time the beard the more that gets dirty because you trim the funnel edge off.

Do they get pig ears or any other things ??

Dies the dog have bad tonsils

Ah you also have itching with blackhawk? Mine too. He didn't use to but recently, he has been very itchy. So thinking of switching to fish kibbles instead.

No they don't get pigs ears. Just the occasional bone. Maybe you are right. The little one has been messy with drinking water and eats quickly (even with a slow feeder bowl), but he has been like that all his life so why only now is it staining? If i clean it on a daily basis, would the staining eventually go away?

When he gets a bath, i scrub it with my hands using aloveen. Why doesn't the staining come off with shampoo and water? And what can i do to ensure it doesn't build up to bateria and yeast?

Edited by giraffez