Help With Separation Anxiety

mantis

The man in the unit next to me has a lovely Whippet, but he suffers badly from SA. When his owner goes out he howls the place down, I do what I can, by giving him treats & talking to him.

Some of the other people at the units have threatened to let him out, to find a new owner.

His owner is like me, older & suffers depression so doesn't need the extra strain of people saying they will let his dog loose.

He adores this dog & before he started suffering depression, he used to breed Staffies, so knows how to look after dogs.

Any help would be appreciated, he can't afford a behaviourist.

A thundershirt? Only about $35 and they do help some dogs. Otherwise food dispensing toys or a DAP collar?

I have given him a kong, but that doesn't work for long. I have also given him a tug rope

& ball, he destroyed that in about 15 minutes.

You could try playing the radio, it supposedly helps although I have no direct experience.

Depending on the age, the best thing is another dog to play with.

I don’t really like to suggest it, but I know that many vets would suggest medication…

Is the dog kept outside the unit? How would it be possible for the neighbours to let it out? Separation Anxiety is difficult to manage if you don't have financial resources - medication is just as expensive as behaviourists. He could try the more natural remedies that contain tryptophan - they are relatively inexpensive you can get a supplement at the chemist or pet stores I think it is called "Tranquil"? Otherwise he could work on the behavioural programs around gradual separation etc - there is plenty on here if you do a search or the internet has heaps of structured programs. Has he had the dog for long?

The owner leaves the back door open so he can go in & out when he likes. That's good,, because like last night I was able to go over & give him some food & top up his water.

I'm not sure how he would get on with my dog, because he is hyper & he is legs are so thin, I'm scared Cougar might break him if she decided to play.

It's amazing how some larger dogs work out the best way to play with a smaller and more delicate friend... check how Harper plays with her 3kg little friend...

12-01-2013-harper-snooky025_zpsdc140724.jpg

T.

I know that Kenny used to drop when his Maltese X girlfriend used to come & play with him. I guess I'm a bit paranoid now because of BSL & terrified to put Cougar at risk.

Yes I know it's my fear that stops her playing with smaller dogs, if she was younger I'd probably try it, but because she's an older dog, I don't want to risk it. I guess I have too many memories of what Kenny went through.