Weight Limits And Worming Pills

teekay

So 2 of my dogs are now right on the limit for the top end of the weight range for their Interceptor spectrum tablets (22kgs). I weighed Luka today and he was 22.2kg, he possibly still has some filling out to do and will probably go further over that limit.

How accurate are they do you think?

The next size up tablet is for 22-45kgs so if they are only just over 22kgs that's a big dose. Something I would rather avoid but obviously want to make sure they are protected.

What do others do for their 'just on the limit' dogs?

I go to the vet and get our worming tablets. I say how much (roughly) each dog weighs and they work out how many each dog needs and put them in a little envelope with the dogs name on it. I'm not sure what brand they are. They always seem to round their weight off to nearest 5 kilos and for my 7 kilo dog they gave me enough for a 10 kilo dog (2 tablets)...they assured me it was standard practice and would be fine. Then when I got home I did the usual thing and hid the pills in pieces of fritz, which they gobble straight down. But this time when I tossed the last piece out the my GSD the boxer who had already had his dose grabbed it quick as a snake and swallowed it before I could do anything. I worked out he had extra amount enough for an extra 20 kilos. I rang the vet in a panic but they said just to watch him but it would probably be ok and it was. Next time I have to be much more careful.

I use the Drontal tablets and cut them up accordingly. One tablet is per 10 kilos and my boy Zeus fluctuates between 14.8 kilos to 15.2 kilos, which doesn't help because he's very close to 1 and a half tablets. I'll usually just give him one full tablet and just over half, although I'm pretty sure the instructions say to round dosage off to nearest whole number.

Not sure with Interceptor though.

Guest donatella

I heard that you can round up with worming without harm.

With mine 1 tablet does 2 of them (as 1 tablet does up to 10kg). So half a tablet does 5kgs and a 1/4 does 2.5kgs.

Lucy gets 1/2 tablets (she is not 5kgs)

Bonnie gets 1/4 tablet (she is not 2.5kgs)

So mine get a bit over but there is no way I could get their exact body weights in tablet. No harm done as yet :)

I wish interceptor did smaller increments. I wouldn't mind going up to 30kg if they are 23kg but a 45kg dose for a 23kg dog seem so ove rthe top. Maybe I should look at seperating the heartworm and intestinal worming pills. Off to Google :)

For advantix my guys are right on the cusp - they are 10kg, but with a few too many treats one often ends up just over 10kg but I'm not going up to the next one just for a kg, so I still give the 4-10kg.

For worming, I prefer to go over, rather than under. At worst, they'll have loose poo the next day, better than not giving them enough to actually clean up an infestation and possibly creating worms that are now more resistant to the active ingredients used.

I'm not a huge fan of chews because they tend to have absurdly broad weight ranges- there's a big difference between 20kg and 45kg. I stick to things like the Wormex, Canimax* or Paratak Plus as these are 10kg tablets so getting a closer dose is a lot easier.

*Canimax might be 20kg, I forget.. but either way, still easier to split than a chew.

OKl just found a little bit more info on the Novartis website

Milbemycin oxime interferes with nerve transmission in invertebrates, which helps protect against heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm (minimum dose rate: 0.5mg/kg).

Praziquantel causes muscle spasm in tapeworm, which are then attacked by enzymes and disintegrate (minimum dose rate: 5mg/kg). It kills all intestinal forms of tapeworm except Spirometra spp, which require a higher than standard dose rate.

Going by those doseage rates you are fine with a 23kg dog (that works out to 11.5mg of milbemycin oxime, which is exactly what the 11-22kg pills have) for most worms and are ever so slightly under for the tapeworm protection. A 23kg dog needs 115mg of praziquantel and the pills have 114mg.

Think I am fine for now staying at that dose. Just hope Luka hasn't got too much filling out to do. Gotta watch those treats. :D

Ok, I have just found Milbemax which has a slightly higher concentration of the active ingredients and would suit up to 24kgs so I think I will give them a try next time. :thumbsup:

Thanks Hardy's Angel but I don't think they cover heartworm do they? I have to be careful with Luka being an Aussie Shepherd so some of the heartworm only stuff is no good for him. Looks like Milbemax will be the way to go unless he puts on more than 2 kgs. He's 13 months old now, so time will tell. I like to keep my dogs lean anyway.

Ok, I have just found Milbemax which has a slightly higher concentration of the active ingredients and would suit up to 24kgs so I think I will give them a try next time. :thumbsup:

Thanks Hardy's Angel but I don't think they cover heartworm do they? I have to be careful with Luka being an Aussie Shepherd so some of the heartworm only stuff is no good for him. Looks like Milbemax will be the way to go unless he puts on more than 2 kgs. He's 13 months old now, so time will tell. I like to keep my dogs lean anyway.

We don't get heartworm down here so I don't actually worm for it. I rotate wormers so they get a Heartgard Plus about three times a year (which covers heartworm, roundworms and hookworms).

As I understand it, the dose rate of ivermectin in Heartgard is safe for the collie-related breeds.

We don't get heartworm down here so I don't actually worm for it. I rotate wormers so they get a Heartgard Plus about three times a year (which covers heartworm, roundworms and hookworms).

As I understand it, the dose rate of ivermectin in Heartgard is safe for the collie-related breeds.

Yes, they do say it is safe but I would rather not risk it when there are safe alternatives.