Show Potential Dogs/ Breeders

HuskaChi Mum

I hope you don't mind, but I have a few question regarding dogs with show potential and breeders. Any info you could give on the subject would be great.

1: Did you have to make any kind of commitment to showing your dog a certain number of times or have it reach its championship by a certain age?

2: How do breeders decide on the best home, do they generally turn away beginners for established breeders?

3: How much experience did you have with the breed before your first show prospect?

4: How long did you wait before talking to breeders?

How soon is too soon to ask questions?

I'm just curious, I know if I ever get another dog I would wait and get one with show potential.

After researching the breed standard for a certain breed, I have become increasingly interested in showing someday when I feel experienced enough in the breed.

Edited by Julieanne

show potential is just a promising puppy, it makes no claims on how the adult will turn out re quality for showing. Breeders tend to run on pups and will place older ones as the potential didn;t live up to the early promise.

I sold a pup last year as show potential to a person who has the breed but never shown before, that pup was a crufts this year, which is a great achievement considering it isn;t a popular colour with some judges.

Have you been to any shows and met people in the breed? It is a good way to see if showing will be for you.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a few question regarding dogs with show potential and breeders. Any info you could give on the subject would be great.

1: Did you have to make any kind of commitment to showing your dog a certain number of times or have it reach its championship by a certain age?

2: How do breeders decide on the best home, do they generally turn away beginners for established breeders?

3: How much experience did you have with the breed before your first show prospect?

I'm just curious, I know if I ever get another dog I would wait and get one with show potential.

After researching the breed standard for a certain breed, I have become increasingly interested in showing someday when I feel experienced enough in the breed.

1. This it really an individual thing to be discussed with the breeder and different people will make different arrangements. As mentioned though, with a pup potential just means it looks good at the time but time will tell and not all live up to early expectations. You take the risk with a pup and hope for the best.

2. Again an individual thing. In general though breeders tend to be more comfortable placing main register males with a novice. The more a breeder knows you the better your chances of them trusting you with their dogs.

3. The first show dog of my breed was after owning one as a pet and showing a dog of a different breed. My first show dog though was after owning a pet (of a different breed), but training in obedience with that dog and getting to know a lot of breeders and show people. I got to know the breeder well before the litter I got my first show puppy from and the breeder became a good friend and mentor.

4. I started talking to breeders way before I wanted a puppy. They became friends first. And I have been prepared to wait for the right pup. In one case I waited 2 years. In other cases opportunities sometime just happen if you have put the groundwork in and are a 'known entity'. The better a breeder knows you the more confident they will be placing a good dog with you. And you may actually be considered as a home for a 'better' one than you might have otherwise.)

Edited by espinay2

Personally no, but I know of some breeders that do have these sorts of expectations. However unless they're prepared to guarantee the show potential puppy (ie replace it if it doesn't fulfil it's early potential) then I don't see how anyone can insist that the owner must get the dog's title by a certain age - it may be that the show potential pup grows into a dog that has no chance of ever gaining it's title regardless of how long it's shown.

I prefer to place my pups in the best home for that puppy be it a possible show home or a pet home. If I have someone I think will make a good owner and they are interested in showing they will get the best pup I can provide for them which also fits their lifestyle (won't place a pup in a home not suited to it's temperament regardless if it's show or pet) I prefer to sell males to novices.

None. My first dog was my first show dog. He was extremely successful and is behind every dog I have now - 34 years later.

Never too soon. Some breeders may prefer to breed only once every couple of years and in some breeds this is common (breeds hard to find homes for), so if you don't make your intentions clear very early in the piece chances are someone else will be in front of you for the limited number of show potential pups available.

It really does depend on the breed. In my breed it is quite difficult to breed a show quality dog that is really competitive and if I ever had one that I didn't want to keep it would be reasonably easy to place it with other established breeders. It is unlikely that I would entrust that dog with someone who may or may not show. A newcomer would have to be very keen indeed.

That said it would be easier if they were looking at a male and easier still if they were happy with something that was nice but perhaps not top quality. Some breeds half the litter has show potential so it would be easier in that case.

No, I didn't. For puppies that I sell into homes, I ask that the dog is titled for the new owner to get full ownership signed over to them. That is, the puppy is co-owned until the dog gets a title (its champ title or otherwise), and then it is signed over to its new owners. This is written in the contract. If the person chooses to never show or trial the dog, then the dog is just in co-ownership forever. Most pet people don't care about this.

I'd pick the best home for the puppy. I think I am more likely to prefer newbies than established breeders. :)

I showed my first dog, but only during baby puppy. 6 years later, I got a bitch with the intention to show. But I have sold to people who have purchased their first dog AND their first show dog at the same time.

4: How long did you wait before talking to breeders? How soon is too soon to ask questions?

I probably didn't talk to breeders as much as I should have, but I was involved enough to know what lines/types I wanted and then just pursued those breeders who had what I wanted. I think it's fantastic for new people in a breed to go to as many speciality shows and see as many dogs as they can before choosing the type and breeder that they like.

Hope that helps.

Depends on your breed. If you have a common breed, or a popular breed for BYB's, puppy farmers (even registered ones), it may be harder to get one on Main Register of any sex, let alone a female. In my breed, 95% are sold on limit register to prevent people from breeding either for colour or using high profile kennel names and trading on they have a dog from "XYZ" kennel. If the line has colour in, many show breeders are also wary. If you do get one on Main Register, often it is will be in a co-own arrangement with the contract conditions varying significantly.

I see you are also in WA - and I am told there is generally only one show on at any given time, so competition is fierce for points. Again if you have a popular breed, gaining points can be hard and in this circumstance I would not be expecting any breeder to say the dog must be titled by any set age. Different here as there are often 2-3 shows in relatively close proximity and also other shows further out for competitors to choose from.

Depends on who is enquiring. If the beginner has the right intentions and is prepared to learn what it takes (breed standard, learning to judge each dog for its positives AND their negatives critically, showmanship etc) then I think many would be willing to guide and assist. If the person is there for a quick buck or the easy road or is known for not being good to their animals, then breeders would be more discerning. Just because someone maybe established, does not necessarily make them ethical or good.

None. I learnt and made the same mistake any newbie does along the way. I am still not an avid showie that has the need to win it all attitude. to me it is still a hobby and is meant to be fun..

I did my basic homework first. breed traits, looked at different people's websites and animals. Attended a few shows/obedience comps etc. Worked out "WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR" - I think this is the most important. First and foremost to being a competitive dog, it is my companion and I have to live with it for the next 14-16 years. I don't care if it is the best winning show/competition dog if it has a personality I cannot stand (too active/destructive, too timid, loves to bark/howl, too aggressive, too playful, brains, no brains, loves men/hates men etc). You need to know the full breed traits - The good, the bad and the DAMN ugly. Within each bloodline, there are styles and types and you need to know which style and type you like over the next. What is also "fashionable" in the show ring. An old more traditional type might night be the current flavour - and while still correct, how important is winning to you if another style or type is preferred and often put up?

Be upfront and honest with your breeder. Nothing is worse than finding out later that the person tells you all along they don't want to breed, then all of a sudden after some weeks hits you up and says "of course I want to breed with it". Some people just love to show, but not breed. Others want to do both, some work out down the track it may be option. Let the breeder know this. Be willing to gain their trust and even be mentored by them.

Never really too soon. But think of what your questions are. Some breeders do not like to be bombarded with 100 questions up front. Some newbies send a list of questions to breeders like a multiple choice exam they have to pass first. These are not a good way to start off with gaining a good rapport with breeders. Particularly if you have not done the basic homework in the first place and are either not prepared or unable to answer some of their questions back about why do you want one of THEIR dogs. (go back to style/type, health testing if relevant, the look of their animals etc).

Be serious in your intent. Again as a breeder, nothing like going to all the effort when the person asking is not serious and is only shopping around on a maybe some time down the track.Tell the breeder your intent: "I am looking at getting a dog in XYZ amount of time" or, "I am doing my homework now on the breed and am after some information etc" or "I am looking at getting into showing, what do I need to do and (if you are serious on a puppy from them) looking at getting a show puppy from you when you have your next litter (or this litter)" And then be prepared to back it up with "Why do I want a puppy from you.."