Breed Homework Help

Raya

Hello All I tried to post this on the miniature schnauzer topic but it come up with the list is closed due to not being used in over 365 days so I'll post here...hope its ok :confused: .....

Hello I have been doing my homework on this breed and have come across this question many times with different answers so thought I would ask it here..... which sex is better? well my personal question is more which sex out of the males or females are more happy to stay by your side and which is easier to bond with? :)

I have both male and females dogs of different breeds and find my male to be very sooky where the female is happy to do her own thing.

I have the best mini in the world (not that I am biased). Waldo is a male aged 23 months and he has bonded well with me. I am not sure I know much about gender differences. I would suggest that you make contact with some breeders and enquire about their dogs temperament. I would make contact with the Schnauzer Club of Victoria. they are amazingly supportive of owners and interested owners.

The mini is a great dog. Strong and robust. Happy. Can be stubborn but I have loved training Waldo. He has responded very well to positive training methods. Waldo will be 2 in May. He has his CCD and Rally Novice titles. He is a great companion. He visits in the nursing homes with the Lort Smith visiting program.

Hope this helps.

Minis are awesome. Female one here. Has bonded to more than one person (her "mum" and to me, her trainer) and loves cuddles but also her alone time. I'm not experienced with male dogs of any breed, but I constantly hear they are sookier as a gender, but I personally think my girls love just the right amount of cuddles (love a pat and cuddle and then go and lay down elsewhere).

I beg to differ though, Sue and Waldo, the best mini lives with me :D :p

i have had minis all my life.

risole, rosie, schnebbie, betty, jigga and coconut :)

Jig is the only male i have had and from personal experince i have found Jigga to be a bit calmer and more placid then the girls. in saying this they all were/are excellent dogs - my favourite breed in the world.

i dont think i could say either sex was more loyal then the other.

Waldo schmoldo.

My girl is as others have described - bonded with me, works very well and is VERY focused when training (using motivational techniques, wouldn't work out of "respect" or other such nonsense) but she is happy to play in the garden for a few hours and is comfortable being by herself.

Fergus likes to watch me go to the loo.... Seriously though, he is much more of a snuggle bunny, but is also works very well and is very focused when training. Lucy is slower to learn but Fergs can get a bit over excited and silly at times.

Together, they make a great pair.

Thank you everyone, I think its better to hear from owners rather than just read comments from websites :D as you can see from my avatar I have a mini poodle (he was meant to be a toy but thats another story :mad ) so I can do my own clipping and have been looking at the mini schnauzer for awhile now and have spoken to a couple of breeders to do as much homework as I can, our kids are grown up now and hubby and I do about 4 to 6 km walk (for about an hour) per night so this breed would fit well into our way of life, we have two other dogs currently that are elderly but both well trained furkids :)

Also Ive found the mini schnauzers to be hard to find, not many puppies :confused:

We tell our puppy buyers that the males are more often more loving than the females .

Bonding i am not a fan of this word because a dog can only enjoy the type of ownership it is given .

How it bonds depends more on the owners & there expectations of any dog they own .

Natures within the colours can vary as well

Mini puppies aren't hard to come buy sadly they have become to popular with lots of BYB breeders & sold via pet shops .

Last saturday was the Schnauzer Club of Victoria champ show so you missed a good one there but Vic has plenty of good breeders but you generally need to put your name down & wait .

i have noticed an increase in back yard breeders for this breed since there popularity has risen lately.

we got all ours from breeders here on DOL. we were on the waiting list for 8 months with our last one ( coconut, drove me crazyyyy waiting lol was worth every days wait in the end.

i now also have a jack Russell WOAHHHH talk about different personalities lol

post-41414-0-96960400-1363841485_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone, I think its better to hear from owners rather than just read comments from websites :D as you can see from my avatar I have a mini poodle (he was meant to be a toy but thats another story :mad ) so I can do my own clipping and have been looking at the mini schnauzer for awhile now and have spoken to a couple of breeders to do as much homework as I can, our kids are grown up now and hubby and I do about 4 to 6 km walk (for about an hour) per night so this breed would fit well into our way of life, we have two other dogs currently that are elderly but both well trained furkids :)

Also Ive found the mini schnauzers to be hard to find, not many puppies :confused:

You can always rescue one.

I have had five males and two bitches. I currently have three rescue dogs - two bitches and a male. Schnauzers are beautiful, very active, great trainable temperament, forever the clown :D , sometimes mischevious, affectionate and adorable. All my dogs have bonded well to me, so don't believe there is any difference between male or female.

post-4430-0-03367400-1363842417_thumb.jpg

Edited by schnauzer

I will only buy from a breeder all my dogs past and present where all from a breedeer not pet shop or back yard breeders but in saying that I was fooled when I got my mini poodle (pic in avatar) as his pedigree papers say he is a red toy poodle but he kept growing into a large miniature poodle and is a tad 'over' the size of a miniature :( so you cant always believe what their papers say :mad anyway thats another story :laugh: but my point is yes I believe in only buying from breeders and am in no hurry to wait for the right furbaby :D but am seriously looking at a miniature schnauzer :thumbsup: we have always had females and my poodle is my first male dog but I find him more sooky and cant do anything without our other dog where she is happy to come for some love then go do her own thing, so Im tossing up which sex to go for next :) meanwhile I'll keep doing my homework.

I have had five males and two bitches. I currently have three rescue dogs - two bitches and a male. Schnauzers are beautiful, very active, great trainable temperament, forever the clown :D , sometimes mischevious, affectionate and adorable. All my dogs have bonded well to me, so don't believe there is any difference between male or female.

Yes I have actually giving this some thought....can you give me more info on rescuing one?

Yes I have actually giving this some thought....can you give me more info on rescuing one?

The Schnauzer Club of NSW and also Victoria rescue, rehabilitate and rehome. Where are you located?

Minis are great cleaners. There was no need to replace our cobweb broom when Pippa came along :D

65786_10150610235938036_1352526818_n.jpg

And they are great snugglebums :love:

554825_10150916361998036_755494822_n.jpg

hahahahahaha :rofl: I love that pic of pippa Id love to see more :thumbsup: