Vet And Puppy Pre School Recommendations In Melbourne Eastern Suburb

merikuri

Hi everyone!

I am getting a Golden Retriever puppy and am living in Balwyn. I have just moved into my new place this week so I am not very familiar with the vets in the eastern suburbs.

Can anyone recommend vets around this area? I don't mind traveling. Around 20-30min drive is ok for me if the vet is really good or if there is no good vet around. So far from what I've read on this forum, Boronia Vet and Glen Eira Vet have been recommended many times but both are almost 30min drive from my place.

Another one is High Street Road Animal Hospital at Mount Waverly which is only 15min drive from my place. Does anyone who want to second this? :laugh: It would be great if I can get the name of the veterinarian too!

I also plan to bring my puppy to preschool. Do people normally attend the session at their vets? Or are there any preschools highly recommended by dolers?

Thanks for the help!

p.s. this morning when I woke up I realised my puppy is coming home next week and I started to panic at how unprepared I am!! :eek: so far I've only got the puppy food and bowls ready :doh: looks like it's going to be shopping time this weekend! :rofl:

Hi Mericury.

Yes, there are some good vets around.

Mont Albert Veterinary Hospital

443 Mont Albert Rd (cnr Elgar Rd)

Mont Albert VIC 3127

ph: 98901728

web: montalbertvet.com.au

Ask for Dr Alain Marc or Dr Alastair Fearn

Box Hill Veterinary Hospital

767 Whitehorse Road (cnr Hotham St)

Mont Albert VIC3127

ph: 9890 6071

web: bhvet.com.au

Ask for Dr Elaine Ong or Dr Jayde Kunst

Hope it helps

Regards,

D

Having recently become involved with Hawthorn East Vet (we run puppy class there) i have heard nothing but good things from all of their clients and have been really impressed with all of the staff i have met there. Shouldn't be too far from Balwyn i wouldn't think.

I'm happy with my vet in Eltham but that's prob even further for you :(

it's quite far but thanks for your reply, Inka!! will keep that in mind :)

Hi Mericury.Yes, there are some good vets around.Mont Albert Veterinary Hospital443 Mont Albert Rd (cnr Elgar Rd)Mont Albert VIC 3127ph: 98901728web: montalbertvet.com.auAsk for Dr Alain Marc or Dr Alastair FearnBox Hill Veterinary Hospital767 Whitehorse Road (cnr Hotham St) Mont Albert VIC3127ph: 9890 6071web: bhvet.com.auAsk for Dr Elaine Ong or Dr Jayde KunstHope it helpsRegards, D

Dmayma, according to google map, Box Hill Veterinary Hospital is only 2 minutes drive from my place!! :thumbsup: i have never noticed it there! thank you!!

Having recently become involved with Hawthorn East Vet (we run puppy class there) i have heard nothing but good things from all of their clients and have been really impressed with all of the staff i have met there. Shouldn't be too far from Balwyn i wouldn't think.

thanks Cosmolo! will keep this in mind! hawthorn east is only 10min from my place, maybe I should go there for the PPS class! :D

LOL - what a wonderful time you have ahead of you, merikuri :thumbsup:

While it is very comforting to have a vet close by, the most important thing is to have a vet whom you trust implicitly and with whom you have a good rapport.

Good luck and remember that we DOLers demand puppy photos :laugh:

We went to high st rd animal hospital for over a decade and found them to be fantastic.

With our current dog we use Blackburn Vet Centre (296B Middleborough Rd, Blackburn) and couldn't be happier with them. All the staff are incredibly friendly and we have seen each of the vets there are found them all to be fantastic. Plus they're open Saturdays and send text message reminders of every appointment. When we had a scare with our dog eating aspirin they called us between appointments to check in. You know a vets alright when you're dog gets excited when he gets there :p

I'm happy with my vet in Eltham but that's prob even further for you :(

it's quite far but thanks for your reply, Inka!! will keep that in mind :)

Hi Mericury.Yes, there are some good vets around.Mont Albert Veterinary Hospital443 Mont Albert Rd (cnr Elgar Rd)Mont Albert VIC 3127ph: 98901728web: montalbertvet.com.auAsk for Dr Alain Marc or Dr Alastair FearnBox Hill Veterinary Hospital767 Whitehorse Road (cnr Hotham St) Mont Albert VIC3127ph: 9890 6071web: bhvet.com.auAsk for Dr Elaine Ong or Dr Jayde KunstHope it helpsRegards, D

Dmayma, according to google map, Box Hill Veterinary Hospital is only 2 minutes drive from my place!! :thumbsup: i have never noticed it there! thank you!!

thanks Cosmolo! will keep this in mind! hawthorn east is only 10min from my place, maybe I should go there for the PPS class! :D

You wont regret it if you do. Cosmolo is awesome :)

The most important thing is to find a vet that you can build a good rapport with. If you don't like them, the dog wont either. My dog loves any vet that comes near her, she considers them waiters or chefs or the like, given the amount of liver treats that come from there hands!!! But I have recently moved as I needed to find a vet that I could love and work with.

For puppy preschool I highly recommend ones run by Delta Society Trainers, they can be found here: http://www.dpdta.com.au/ I do know of one in East Kew that was great that I saw years ago and that would be near you.

• 1 month later...

Just thought better to dredge up and older thread than start a new one.

We're in the west but travel isn't much of a big deal, obviously closer is easier, but alas I work painful hours and it would have to be on a weekend.

Any good suggestions? We have one on as a backup but it's a Tuesday night and I'd have to sprint from work, and we all know when you're in a rush it'll go badly.