Pet Loo

BT-Argo

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help. We have a pet loo and our dog is using it fine for doing poo's when he needs to go. The issue is with peeing. He seems to like to pee on the side of it i.e. puts his two front paws on the it and leave the beg legs on the ground and pees.

I was wondering how we can change this habit so he actually jumps up on it and pees on the grass as opposed to on the side/edge.

I am thinking of putting a little pole or something on the top so he goes but not sure that will work.

You could try giving him something to pee against. My male will try and pee on the pet loo when It's raining outside and He doesn't want to get his precious paws wet, but He either stands on it and pees against the wall, or stands next to it and "aims" onto it.

It's partly training him to do what you want him to do, but I think because most boys want to pee against something the pee trays can be awkward for them to learn.

You could try giving him something to pee against. My male will try and pee on the pet loo when It's raining outside and He doesn't want to get his precious paws wet, but He either stands on it and pees against the wall, or stands next to it and "aims" onto it.

It's partly training him to do what you want him to do, but I think because most boys want to pee against something the pee trays can be awkward for them to learn.

Hi Minimax i just read the pet loo web site and they suggest putting a pot plant upside down in the middle of the tray. I will try and do that and see how we go.

Can I ask how your cleaning your loo also? and how often... I find we have to do it regularly to minimise the odour of it

Thanks for your reply

I spray the grass with one of the odour /urine sprays than give it a good hose off. I got some fake grass from Bunnings so that I can change the grass when it gets too smelly. Leave the other one in the sun for several days.

I have been having the same problems too! My 11 weeks old do very well when under supervision but he'll pee just OUTSIDE the pet loo if I'm not home or overnight. I don't know why and I would really love to know how to fix it.

I wash and change the grass every morning. I would take the old grass away and soak it in water and detergent for a couple of hours and hang it out to dry for the rest of the day but still he pees outside the pet loo when I'm not looking.

I placed a container in the middle today with some of his pee on it.. will see how he goes over the next 2 days.

I have the bunnings grass, its very heavy to lift around and wash, ill see how I go this winter as for summer I had to constantly wash it.

In regards to washing, I had bought some Bunnings grass and would tip warm water over it each day to rinse it, then once a week i would soak it in hot water with some normal washing powder for a few hours then rinse with cold then hang up to dry. I have 3 sets of grass so that i have spares.

All i would suggest was to put something in the middle of the grass for your boy to pee against, which it looks like you have done so good luck with that. Jager grew up using the pet loo so never learnt how to lift his leg. Even that we dont use it and have a garden he mostly squats and lifts one foot about 5-10cms off the ground.