6 Month Old Staffy Be Aggressive Towards Pup

staffy2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thanks.

My 2 had a spat early on, something i should have spotted earlier, and my BT went for my cattle dogs front leg, he screamed like nothing else, once she had him on his back and stood over him for a second it was over.

After a visit from K9 pro i realised he was the trouble maker .

If staffords are predisposed to agression then I think mine is broken :p

He got told off once or twice by our friends foxy who didn't want to play and now gives her plenty of space. He has also been rushed and attacked by a swf and his response was to hide behind my legs.

Not really fair to tar all members of a breed with the same brush. My miniature schnauzer was very antisocial and had no patience for or interest in other dogs but that doesnt mean all schnauzers hate other dogs.

There are always individuals within breeds that don't display characteristics common to that breed.

But the whole point of breeds is to increase the likelihood of certain desireable characteristics being inherited. It's entirely possible that your dog is not offended by inappropriate behaviour (in his eyes) by small dogs. You would be unwise to assume that he'll feel the same way about every dog or behave the same way when mature.

I know a certain entire male Stafford who didn't bat an eyelid at a certain young male Whippet pup cannoning off his side as they walked along. If he'd had the capacity to roll his eyes, I'm sure he would have. I don't assume for a moment that the Stafford feels the same way about mature dogs doing it and neither does his owner.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

if

a dog goes for the throat does it mean it more than if it tries to take a front leg out?

AFAIK ..grabbing a front leg is done to overbalance/roll the opponent ...to expose the throat ......so ,a bit more strategy ...

It's also a crippling move. Dogs don't fight well on three working legs.

Trainers, what about inlinek9 - they go out to Ballarat and are on the same side of Vic as Shepparton

http://inlinek9.webs.com/

I'm a bit worried about the word "correct" and not "stop" ie if this was happening to me, I'd stop the older dog but I wouldn't scold her or apply any harsh punishment.

Yelling can seem like you're joining in, and the puppy might get blamed and attacked more.

Definitely keep them separated until you have a training plan that is working.

Ok so since posting this things seem to be back to normal Pepper is playin with Roxi nice again. I think Pepper's nose was abit out of joint ( Jealousy ) being the only dog for so long I'm not saying this is ok but I guess it would be normal Im also not sure why she acted this way apart from jealousy beause she has never shown any signs of arrgession before but I will be contacting dog trainers to see who would be best suit for my to babies thanks.

Please do get help - better now than later.

As others with much more experience have said - you don't want to come home to one dog injured (or worse, dead).

Dogs don't really do the whole human emotion thing - they live in the here and now.

Good luck

I made the mistake of buying two female Staffy litter mates and was given the same advice as you have been given on this forum, rehome one now or it will end in tears. Five years later I have two girls that have never even drawn blood, they do play rough but they know each other and get on extremely well.

Its doesnt always end up bad, you just need to be on top of it, just wanted to let you know it can work out.