Grain Free Dry Food

Does anyone know what size the Artemis OSoPure kibble is? I am currently feeding TOTW but the kibble is a little too large for a small dog IMO. I would love to find a grain free kibble that is smaller.

Rosetta I don't know about the Artemis, but I've just noticed that in the VIP grain free from Woolies, the chicken variety is rounder and smaller than the game variety. And the westies and my foster (who is smaller) managed both without any problems. Apparently dry food that is a bit bigger is better from a dental point of view because they have to crunch them more and the bigger pieces clean their teeth better. Don't know how true that is but it certainly makes sense to me. And bones are even better!! smile.gif

Does anyone know what size the Artemis OSoPure kibble is? I am currently feeding TOTW but the kibble is a little too large for a small dog IMO. I would love to find a grain free kibble that is smaller.

Rosetta I don't know about the Artemis, but I've just noticed that in the VIP grain free from Woolies, the chicken variety is rounder and smaller than the game variety. And the westies and my foster (who is smaller) managed both without any problems. Apparently dry food that is a bit bigger is better from a dental point of view because they have to crunch them more and the bigger pieces clean their teeth better. Don't know how true that is but it certainly makes sense to me. And bones are even better!! smile.gif

Thanks WM - I do have a bag of the VIP and you are right it is a bit smaller but I think it may make him a bit "loose". I did not notice any improvement in Jack's teeth with the larger kibble. He gets a brisket bone occasionally which helps I think but I am a bit paranoid about bones :)

Have a few grooming clients with really itchy skin and some with cronic ear problems and would like them to try a grain free diet

It may be more useful to suggest they get a proper diagnosis first ?

The dogs' problems could be allergy /yeast/hormonal/parasites....

allergy might be grain- it could be a particular protein - it could be flea, it could be grass ...

Trying a grain free diet may work ..or it may prolong the dogs' discomfort .....

• 2 years later...

I also suggest looking trying a variety of protein sources as well as grain free.

I love both the Holistic Select Sardine and Anchovy variety and the grain-free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. My old groomer said that he has noticed significant improvements in many of his client's dogs switching to a fish based food (with or without grains) over a beef/lamb/chicken formula.My little Aussie certainly seems to scratch less on a fish based formulation, but grains don't appear to make a big difference.

Might not work for all, but if you are looking for things to try it may be worth a go. :-)

I agree.. My huntaway had very dry skin and was showing signs of joint problems. A fish based diet has improved her skin quality and reduced visible signs of lameness. Very happy with these results. However, I do notice EBH makes her burp more than before. My greyhound burps and farts more too lol.

I realise this is an old thread but I have been using the Kirklands Salmon and Sweet Potato from Costco. I believe it is the same as Taste of the Wild.

It is cost friendly, 16kg costs $60 and my dogs (13 years and 15 months) are doing really well on it. Of course the downside is that you need to be near a Costco and prepared to pay their membership - or know someone who is a member.

I've been testing a few high quality brands.

I like the Australian owned brands, Blackhawk and Ivory Coat. Black hawk has grain-free options and also food containing grains but has very high quality ingredients none-the-less. Cost is quite good. If getting small bags for a small dog, they come in 3kg bags (most small bags are only 2kg) yet are the same price as the 2kg bags. Protein source isn't that high though. About 26% for the grain-free variety. Still high compared to standard supermarket good or the usual vet endorsed stuff (Royal Canin, etc).

Ivory Coat is more expensive, however is probably one of the highest quality kibble around. It is definitely the best of the Australian brands.