Can Advantix Cause Diarrhoea

So I've not been having a good animal week: Zeus has a horrible rash under his armpit that flares up, goes away completely, flares up again etc and is being treated with neocort and my cat Calypso has been hospitalised for severe dehydration, loss of appetite and constipation.

Now it's Kirah's turn -- I guess she's been feeling left out. :(

While the cat's been away, I decided to Advantix them again because Zeus's rash seems to flare up when he hasn't been treated for a while (he must get attacked by insects; I know ants bother him). Anyhoo, last night, Kirah's seemed much quieter and took her time eating a small treat so I figured it was because she was sleepy (it was 1 in the morning I let them out to per).

This morning though, I've noticed she still took time eating breakfast (she's a Hoover normally) and has been sitting quietly at my feet. I saw that she'd passed a loose stool too -- not sloppy diarrhoea but more like cow-pat consistency.

Both her and Zeus wrestle a lot in the backyard so I'm wondering if she's grabbed the back of his neck in play and this has caused a stomach upset. It seems too coincidental for her to lose her appetite after being treated but this is the first time it's happened.

I'm at work today but I've got my family to keep an eye on her for any changes. I've seen her like this before but have always assumed she'd eaten a lizard or something as she's always foraging the yard.

If it is the Advantix I don't know what I'll do. I live in a high tick area and poor Zeus is always being tormented by insects. :(

Highly unlikely the advantix would cause this. Even if she had ingested some, she would have shown symptoms of frothing at the mouth, no GI involvement at all.

I would mix 1 teaspoon of Cornflour with a small amount of water and syringe it all down the throat, this helps to bind the loose stools and is a natural antibiotic that assists to replace irritated gut linings or irritated Gastro Intest tracts.

Hope shes feeling better

Im sure reactions happen but I have used Advantix on my small dogs, plenty of my grooming clients use it and when vet nursing I didnt ever see, or hear about, a reaction. I think it's a bit OTT to suggest she shouldn't be using it when it is the only truly effective product (IMO) against ticks

Im sure reactions happen but I have used Advantix on my small dogs, plenty of my grooming clients use it and when vet nursing I didnt ever see, or hear about, a reaction. I think it's a bit OTT to suggest she shouldn't be using it when it is the only truly effective product (IMO) against ticks

Its my opinion - its up to the OP of course but a simple Google search will reveal many such reactions to this product on small breeds. Nothing wrong with providing the information - up to people to make their own decisions. As to it being the only effective product I guess that is a matter of opinion also.

Edited by Rosetta

Guest donatella

I too, owning toy breeds, would not use Advantix on them and was warned by my breeder not to use it for the well known nasty side effects it has has on many smaller dogs.

She herself had a show dogs skin burn on application.

I'll stick with Frontline Plus thanks.

Kirah perked right up once the cat got home -- I'm thinking she could've eaten a lizard.

Aussies aren't toy breeds and I've never had a problem with Advantix before with any of the Aussies.

Luckily we're coming into winter so I've got at least 6 months to research into using Frontline again. In the mean time, I'm going to try Repel X on Zeus to stop the nasties from biting him

I would never use Advantix on a small breed dog. There have been widespread reports of adverse reactions in small breeds to this product. If you do a search on here there are a few threads about it.

Widespread reports do not equate to widespread reactions in dogs.

Internet Vets (those non qualified folk who search for information themselves, rather than present the dog to a qulaified veterinarian when needed) usually read the gossip and twist it to be a fact.

Fact shows Advantix to be the safest tick product in the world. with less than 0.02% of reactions reported and noted.

Interestingly, most cases of adverse skin reactions in dogs is proven in over 78% of cases, to be caused by Auto Immune issues (mostly undetected until investigation) in the dogs affected. If your dog has a reaction to ANY product you should report it to the manufacturer ASAP when the problem occurs. Then perhaps look for the reason why.

Generalised statements such as yours are pollywaffle.

Protection against parasites is paramount to dogs and cats good health and can in fact SAVE THEIR LIFE.....

Edited by nowstarin

Guest donatella

We all know you're a rep but some small dog owners are aware of the incidents Advantix has caused and avoid the product. I heard about it from my breeder.

Not all products agree with all dogs, accept the fact gracefully.

We all know you're a rep but some small dog owners are aware of the incidents Advantix has caused and avoid the product. I heard about it from my breeder.

Not all products agree with all dogs, accept the fact gracefully.

LOL really.

I gave you the facts, to dispell your hearsay.

Gossip and 2nd hand information v fact mmmmmm

I know I went to Uni for something. I cant stand to see old wives tales and gossip potentially cause animals to suffer so much prefer to talk with fact and proof THANKS

:thumbsup:

Guest donatella

The fact is the widespread stories of dogs that can and do have side effects from the product. From any product that contains chemicals. We are not immune to side effects.

I would never use Advantix on a small breed dog. There have been widespread reports of adverse reactions in small breeds to this product. If you do a search on here there are a few threads about it.

Widespread reports do not equate to widespread reactions in dogs.

Internet Vets (those non qualified folk who search for information themselves, rather than present the dog to a qulaified veterinarian when needed) usually read the gossip and twist it to be a fact.

Fact shows Advantix to be the safest tick product in the world. with less than 0.02% of reactions reported and noted.

Interestingly, most cases of adverse skin reactions in dogs is proven in over 78% of cases, to be caused by Auto Immune issues (mostly undetected until investigation) in the dogs affected. If your dog has a reaction to ANY product you should report it to the manufacturer ASAP when the problem occurs. Then perhaps look for the reason why.

Generalised statements such as yours are pollywaffle.

Protection against parasites is paramount to dogs and cats good health and can in fact SAVE THEIR LIFE.....

Well you are a great salesperson for the product aren't you - not :laugh: Did it take all night to come up with this response? And your second statement is certainly "dramatic" if nothing else - who knew we can SAVE THEIR LIFE (but only by using your product apparently) :laugh:

I still won't use it thanks due to the fact that I have read statements by many owners of small breed dogs about their dogs reactions and I don't think they thought they were spreading gossip seeing as their dog was so sick and all - and even people without Uni degrees can read them (fancy that). Other products do the job just as well for me.

But carry on - with responses such as these I am sure you will drum up lots of business - or not. :D

Oh forgot - if you do a search on here you will see others "gossiping" about this product - obviously no Uni degrees tsk tsk.

Edited by Rosetta

Rosetta I'm not trying to sell anything here, merely responding to the subject heading. Dramatic is when a dogs life is hanging in the balance from paralysis tick bite. All dogs in prone areas should be protected by any product designed for the purpose. Sensible owners should not rely soley on hearsay, gossip or forums for factual information, it is often someone's personal opinion that can be tainted with incorrect beliefs. Forums are a discussion - some participate and are interesting to see, some should be disregarded. Take what you want from it. When wild accusations or distorted inaccuracies are posted I, like you, can respond. Keep to the subject and why slander a poster? Generalisations like yours are not at all accurate. I respect it is YOUR opinion only.

Edited by nowstarin

Rosetta I'm not trying to sell anything here, merely responding to the subject heading. Dramatic is when a dogs life is hanging in the balance from paralysis tick bite. All dogs in prone areas should be protected by any product designed for the purpose. Sensible owners should not rely soley on hearsay, gossip or forums for factual information, it is often someone's personal opinion that can be tainted with incorrect beliefs. Forums are a discussion - some participate and are interesting to see, some should be disregarded. Take what you want from it. When wild accusations or distorted inaccuracies are posted I, like you, can respond. Keep to the subject and why slander a poster? Generalisations like yours are not at all accurate. I respect it is YOUR opinion only.

It is accurate that people have reported reactions from this product -particularly on small breeds. Where is the slander?? Calling others posts "pollywaffle" or "wild accusations" is not that congenial is it? Again, it is not a "generalisation" or incorrect beliefs or opinion to state that many people have had trouble with this product - whether you like it or not. Of course my opinion is that I choose not to use it. BUT I base my opinion on others experiences - which are real and hardly "pollywaffle". Most people value others experiences and don't just blindly follow spiel from company sources.

What do people use instead?

We have two carers in tick prone areas. And if it comes down to it I'd rather have a dog rushed to the vet with a bad reaction than for a 50/50 chance at surviving a tick. BTW all smalls and no reactions yet.

Rosetta

Well you are a great salesperson for the product aren't you - not Did it take all night to come up with this response? And your second statement is certainly "dramatic" if nothing else - who knew we can SAVE THEIR LIFE (but only by using your product apparently)

I still won't use it thanks due to the fact that I have read statements by many owners of small breed dogs about their dogs reactions and I don't think they thought they were spreading gossip seeing as their dog was so sick and all - and even people without Uni degrees can read them (fancy that). Other products do the job just as well for me.

But carry on - with responses such as these I am sure you will drum up lots of business - or not.

nowstaring was not being a "great salesperson" - but is simply citing the facts based on scientific research.

Yes, dogs can and do have reactions to all sorts of things. Human shampoo, with incorrect PH is one which causes a lot of skin problems in all kinds of dogs. Dogs have reactions to wormers, insect repellants, food.

It's good for people to be aware of problems with products, but you should accept that they either agree or disagree with your point of view without you resorting to unpleasant remarks. :)

Yes like us humans, dogs can suffer with reactions to all sorts of things as well..

If in doubt its always best ring the vets.

One of our cavs had a weird reaction to a well known and used flea treatment. I did end up calling the vets about it, and they said to bring him straight down. They later told me 'some' dogs have died from it.. so it was a good thing I questioned the reaction and brought him down to them.

The vet said its possible that different products can have a just one off reaction and never again, so depending on the severity of the reaction to either try it one more time, or never again.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Rosetta

Well you are a great salesperson for the product aren't you - not Did it take all night to come up with this response? And your second statement is certainly "dramatic" if nothing else - who knew we can SAVE THEIR LIFE (but only by using your product apparently)

But carry on - with responses such as these I am sure you will drum up lots of business - or not.

nowstaring was not being a "great salesperson" - but is simply citing the facts based on scientific research.

Yes, dogs can and do have reactions to all sorts of things. Human shampoo, with incorrect PH is one which causes a lot of skin problems in all kinds of dogs. Dogs have reactions to wormers, insect repellants, food.

It's good for people to be aware of problems with products, but you should accept that they either agree or disagree with your point of view without you resorting to unpleasant remarks. :)

Really - did you read Nowstaring's remarks to other posters?

And why would you suspect that I read nowstaring's remarks to other posters?

What exactly was in my post to make you read that into it?

It might be time to accept that having a pov is good,but bashing others about the head with it doesn't win any friends, nor does it advance your case for whatever it is you are promoting.

You also need to accept that scrub ticks are often fatal to dogs, and dogs in some areas need protection from them.