How To Miminise Stress Of Moving House

We have lived in our current home for 7 years, ie most of Casper's life. He has his favourite spots where he lies, he can almost sleepwalk to the grass for his business, he knows where in the house I am likely to be if he wants to find me. It's his home.

He is 11 years old with Degenerative Myelopathy which can be worsened with stress. He lost his companion of 10 years 4 months ago and has shown signs of stress as we prepared our home to put on the market. Now the house has been sold and all is calm again he seems more relaxed though his condition already seems worse.

We are moving in 4 weeks time, which means more chaos in his life as we will start to pack boxes etc. The good thing is that we have a 2 week overlap between settlement dates so I can get him familiar with the new house and still take him back to the old one.

Please help me make this move as easy for him as possible. I really worry for the old boy, I feel very protective of him. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thank you.

My GSD has moved house twice (once at 6 yrs and recently at 10), the last time about 2 months ago - and that time he moved in with a maltx.

I didn't introduce him to the new house until he was going to stay there permanently - so his kennel, bed and spots were all set up and his toys were all out. Then we were lucky enough to be able to take time off work or work from home for the first 3 weeks (this was mainly because of the two dogs living together, his first move I think I only had one day off)

So my suggestion would be to leave all his stuff out til the very end, then have someone set up the new house with his things while he goes for a walk or car ride and then when he goes to the new house that's that.

hopefully if his humans are around he'll feel more comfortable.

My mum moved her mostly deaf and blind dog last year and she had a few weeks overlap as well. So she would take him with her whenever she went to the new place. She had a bed (one of the many he had) at the new place so that when they were there, there was a place that smelt like home that he would settle into. She would make the trip over there at least every second day, sometimes each day. It might only be to take 1 box over or to clean the bathroom or something like that. And he would go with her and eventually he settled into the place, knew what the go was, were the stairs and walls were. Then on moving day, he went for a walk down the beach while the old place was finally loaded into a truck and he came home to the new place. From there it only took him a few days to get used to where everything was.

All other routines stayed the same on the lead up and once moved into the new place. So morning walks still took place each day at the same time. Dinner at the same time. Sleeping arrangements were the same etc.

I think make sure routine is the same, if you mess that up you might have some problems.

Good luck and i hope it all goes well for both of you.

No advice as my move was with several animals who didn't particularly care as long as I was around.

However, I do feel for you because the needs and welfare of our animals is so important to us. Just give Casper lots of love and cuddles, which I am sure you will do as a matter of course :D .

I hope the moved goes as smoothly as possible.

Keep us informed.

The last time i moved i left my dally till last, then got oh to take him for a big walk while i took all his stuff and placed it at the new house.

I also didn't make a big fuss over him, just stay calm and relaxed and get into the routine straight away.

As others, take some familar stuff for him to the new place and take him along whenever you are there so he can find some spots to settle in while you are there and let him get used to the place and his smell around the place.

on moving day, would he be happier staying with a friend/kennels for the day while all the boxes get moved around and last minute packing done? Then you can just take him to new home with some things already unpacked and it more homey for him

Thank you for your replies everyone. Really appreciate you taking the time.

We have moved house a couple of times in the past but Casper's always had Bella to follow. She was definitely the one who took charge. I am taking a week off work so hopefully I can get him used to the new place then as well as show him around the new neighbourhood. Also, we are moving closer to my work so I'll try to go home at lunch times to check up on him.

His routine will be followed as much as possible.

Danny's Darling, if Casper got any more cuddles, I would be permanently draped around his neck! Now that he's an only dog, he cops twice as much pestering by me than before!

becks, I don't have friends nearby who would look after him, he would just get more stressed anyway. I will do my utmost to be close to him as much as possible.

Perhaps I'm fretting for no reason, if he was younger I'd be less worried but he's more precious to me with each passing day. Maybe Casper and I should go away for a couple of days and let OH do the packing and move! Yeah right!

Danny's Darling, if Casper got any more cuddles, I would be permanently draped around his neck! Now that he's an only dog, he cops twice as much pestering by me than before!

becks, I don't have friends nearby who would look after him, he would just get more stressed anyway. I will do my utmost to be close to him as much as possible.

Perhaps I'm fretting for no reason, if he was younger I'd be less worried but he's more precious to me with each passing day. Maybe Casper and I should go away for a couple of days and let OH do the packing and move! Yeah right!

I had to laugh at that :thumbsup: .

I reckon your idea of you and Casper going away and leaving OH to do it all is the best suggestion.

On the other hand . . . . . . . . . . . . :laugh: :laugh:

When I moved with Grumpy there was no overlap time. However, there was some old dog poo in the new backyard (the last owner didn't do a final poo patrol) and Grumpy was too busy exploring and smelling everything to be overly concerned about being in another place.

I have decided I will hire a removalist to do the packing. OH can supervise them while I wait for them with Casper at the new house. It might be less stressful for him to see his stuff arriving than watching it leave. Now that I've told all of you, I'd better inform OH :D

Sheridan, the current house owners have a standard poodle, do you reckon I should ask them to leave the final parcel on the lawn ???

I highly recommend a DAP collar ASAP to see if it helps him adjust, from experience some dogs it really makes a huge difference. Some are also not affected by it. For my dog he has a slight phobia on slippery surfaces - wearing the collar he is less stiff and ventures out on them tiles, without and he will only walk them if absolutely necessary. I've also seen great results with dogs with separation anxiety.

Make sure you get the collar as I find the spray doesn't work so well. You can buy them on ebay or through some vets.