Welsh Terriers

trinabean

Friends of mine had a beloved terrier (Westie x?) girl who died last year, at the ripe old age of 18. They are looking into getting another dog, and are quite interested in a Welsh terrier.

It seems they are a relatively rare breed, there are only a few breeders listed on DOL (all interstate, so a pup would need to be flown to WA). I'm trying to learn a bit about the breed. My terrier knowledge is limited and I've never met a Welsh Terrier. They look like a small version of an Airedale to my untrained eye. They sound quite different though, from what I've read so far.

So does anyone here have a Welsh Terrier? What are the pros/cons of the breed? Are there any health issues to be mindful of (they sound like a fairly hardy breed)? And lastly, any breeder recommendations (PM if you prefer).

Thanks. :)

That's interesting Rosetta. One breed profile I read (and it might be inaccurate) suggested that this terrier is very active, and prone to nuisance barking if under-stimulated/ left alone for long.

I know that a dog in this family wouldn't be alone for extended periods. The parents work hours overlap (husband gets home early in the afternoon) and their adult daughter only does 2 contact days at college and is home studying most of the time. They plan on doing puppy school and basic obedience and they always walked their previous dog, so I imagine this dog would get a daily walk. I wonder if this is enough exercise though?

I;ve met several as a groomer and they are either sweetie pie wimps or can be aggressive with very little warning (and the ones like that, although in the minority, were the same with their owners - so not a case of just not liking being groomed!).

That's interesting Rosetta. One breed profile I read (and it might be inaccurate) suggested that this terrier is very active, and prone to nuisance barking if under-stimulated/ left alone for long.

I know that a dog in this family wouldn't be alone for extended periods. The parents work hours overlap (husband gets home early in the afternoon) and their adult daughter only does 2 contact days at college and is home studying most of the time. They plan on doing puppy school and basic obedience and they always walked their previous dog, so I imagine this dog would get a daily walk. I wonder if this is enough exercise though?

That might be the key Trin. This dog had a long walk everyday and firm - always kind - handling.

I've had a little bit of experience with Welshies. I found them to be quite active and at times head strong if you didn't have firm but fair handling of them. Very smart. I think if not given a firm hand they can be scrappy buggers. The ones I knew were kennel dogs, fairly sociable, but could be a bit feisty dog to dog or bitch to bitch. Seemed to mix quite well with other breeds, but again...firm hand.

I thought them terrific, but a dog that needs someone who is going to spend some time with it and ON it.

Real smoochers in their quiet moments.