Your Preferred Flea/tick Treatment

If we only use it very occasionally the affects seem to only last a day or so but before we realised the problems she was always agitated, would randomly snap at our other dog and always looked like she had her hackles half up(doing a fortnightly application). The pack ran out and we used some left over frontline for a short period and it stopped and when we went back to the advantix the issue started up again. I certainly don't think she is pain but it definately does affect her in a big way and doesn't have the same problem when we use other spot on brands.

Best available FLEA treatment is Comfortis. I am in a bad tick area,I use Comfortis monthly for fleas and Frontline SPRAY every 3 weeks for ticks.I also frontline spray my cats. I found the top spots not very effective with fleas . There is a new tick collar now available called Scalibor - it lasts 3 mths and can be used from 8 weeks of age, but only for use on dogs.

Comfortis is not suitable for breeding animals and Scalibor takes a minimum 2 -3 weeks before some protection for Paralysis ticks occurs, topically applied treatments are proven to be the most effective flea treatments available when used with compliance ie applied religiously monthly to ensure the environmental flea stages are kept under control.

If we only use it very occasionally the affects seem to only last a day or so but before we realised the problems she was always agitated, would randomly snap at our other dog and always looked like she had her hackles half up(doing a fortnightly application). The pack ran out and we used some left over frontline for a short period and it stopped and when we went back to the advantix the issue started up again. I certainly don't think she is pain but it definately does affect her in a big way and doesn't have the same problem when we use other spot on brands.

That is interesting. Have you tried taking her for a walk after applying it? Maybe worth one more try. ticks are still rampant in most areas even with the cold weather approaching so would hate to see her become a victim.

I do still use it on her if I'm taking her in the bush around our place but I stretch it out so we don't use it too often. So I'll put it on and for the next couple of weeks we walk her in the bush areas, etc but after that I only walk her around the streets until the next time I put some on her. That way she's protected when she's most at risk but she has some time for it to wear off between uses, it's almost like there is a sort of threshold that it builds up to and then it drives her a bit nutty.

As I have just gone thru a bad patch with frontline plus.. I wont be using it in a hurry!!! One of my guys were very very itchy droped a lot of coat.. Wasn't happy at all.. Has sores all over him from it.. I have never used anything like this before.. Now I have learnt

Was told to give this ago....

http://www.progroom.com.au/shampoos/cotex-flea-control/cotex-pine-oil-insecticidal-spray

Cotex, according to the product description, only kills brown dog ticks. There is nothing there about paralysis ticks.

Bad news about the frontline plus, Team Snag, I hope the dogs are well into recovery

• 1 month later...
1368188877[/url]' post='6198393']

If you think she is reacting to as advantix then I would not ever touch it agin, nor use permoxin. Allergic reactions often get worse each time.Frontline spray. Top spot is useless, spray much better but not cost effective.

When I used Advantix on Jasper. ( 2 year old 3.5 kg toy poodle) last week he went berserk. Scratching , rolling madly on my bed, was acting weird. Couldn't sit down and relax. Kept laying down, getting up , changing spots. The next night he was worse. Then gradually over next few days stopped scratching. I will never give that again.

He did get sprayed with frontline by vet when he had tiny ticks and was ok. And I'm sure he's had Advantix several times before but this dose was dreadful.

cant really help with Ticks, but with fleas we use good old Baby Powder from the supermarket, sprinkle on dogs a couple of days a week, we also use baby powder on their beds :)

We also recommended it to a breeder friend & they now swear by it now

1368188877[/url]' post='6198393']

If you think she is reacting to as advantix then I would not ever touch it agin, nor use permoxin. Allergic reactions often get worse each time.Frontline spray. Top spot is useless, spray much better but not cost effective.

When I used Advantix on Jasper. ( 2 year old 3.5 kg toy poodle) last week he went berserk. Scratching , rolling madly on my bed, was acting weird. Couldn't sit down and relax. Kept laying down, getting up , changing spots. The next night he was worse. Then gradually over next few days stopped scratching. I will never give that again.

He did get sprayed with frontline by vet when he had tiny ticks and was ok. And I'm sure he's had Advantix several times before but this dose was dreadful.

If you do some Googling you will find that this reaction to Advantix is not uncommon with toy breeds. I believe the recommended treatment is to wash down immediately with a dish washing liquid - you would need to research further to ascertain which are suitable to use.

For ticks, I've tried the Preventic tick collar, but disliked the smell, and dogs always indoors, in car etc.

They last 6 weeks for $12, so good value.

Smell wasn't that bad, I'm just extra-fussy, I think.

And didn't want anti-tick stuff on me, as well.

My dogs were OK with Advantix.

Dogs never had fleas, except after a visit to a place with a flea problem- used Capstar as couldn't wait for Advantix by mail (too expensive at the time to buy local).

I use frontline when going to the coast or kennels. I learnt first hand that frontline is not effective when the dog is clean because it relies on the body's oils to spread around. So I usually only put it on good few days after bath time or it's a waste.

Definitely ring Bayer and report this. They are great over the phone but need to hear feedback.