Ex Battery Hens Looking For Homes

I just wanted to say to anyone thinking of rescuing ex battery hens, it is the BEST feeling ever. We rescued 20 from the UNE here at Armidale years ago, and they came to us in the worst condition, they had few feathers and cut beaks. They weren't game to move and could not roost on the perches, but it was incredible to watch them stretch their wings a bit, then some more as they realised they had freedom, then scratch in the dirt for the first time, then to have their first dust bath- they soon became so happy and contented, and rewarded us with eggs, and happy clucking. They idolised us humans, it was like they knew that we had rescued them, and were grateful.

Do it, you will never regret the commitment. :thumbsup:

Di

Hi Danny's darling

The UNE were I think, adding Omega 3 to their diet and that sort of thing, and I guess selling the eggs, nothing sinister, but it was christmas holiday time, and I guess they didn't want to have to care for them. Their condition was the same as a lot of battery hens, they cut their beaks to prevent pecking each other in their 4 to a tiny pen cage, and the hens pull their own and each others feathers out.

post-21758-0-94008800-1368009279_thumb.jpg

I just recieved an update via my facebook that they think they may have got enough applications to rehome all these chooks!

That's great, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. There is an egg factory here (Millroy's) which have hens available for rescue 365 days a year. They sell them for about $2 each. Obviously there would be many (hundreds?) of similar 'farms'....

Edited by jerojath

Of course! There are egg warehouses all over the place and there are always chooks in need from them. If you were planning on getting some from this lot and have missed out do a google and find out what other chook farms are in your area. if you have a local poultry club they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who rescues chooks in your area

Unfortunately your probably preaching to the converted here. Coles no longer has cage eggs under their own You'll Love Coles brand name which I think is a step in the right direction, if other companies phased out having cage eggs in their range then those who buy whatever's the cheapest would just start buying the cheapest of the barn/free range anyway.

Hi Danny's darling

The UNE were I think, adding Omega 3 to their diet and that sort of thing, and I guess selling the eggs, nothing sinister, but it was christmas holiday time, and I guess they didn't want to have to care for them. Their condition was the same as a lot of battery hens, they cut their beaks to prevent pecking each other in their 4 to a tiny pen cage, and the hens pull their own and each others feathers out.

Poor little things. I'm so glad you were able to take them. Do their beaks ever grow back?

I just recieved an update via my facebook that they think they may have got enough applications to rehome all these chooks!

Fantastic :thumbsup:

Everyone stop buying cage eggs (they are disgusting anyway, wouldnt touch them ever!)

That would be the ideal of course, but, hey, a cage the size of an A4 piece of paper is plenty big enough. :mad:mad And the consumer has a right to cheap eggs, doesn't matter how the chooks suffer. :mad

• 3 weeks later...