Making Your Own Barriers For Weavers

what is a barrier for a weave pole?

Susan Garrett's 2x2 weave dvd has some plans for 2x2 weave poles. Lots of people make them by putting nails into bits of dowel and then putting that up a bit of PVC pipe. I was going to get an engineer or welding person to make the bases as per 2x2 and then put PVC pipe for the poles.

I've done a few versions. I have used puppy fence panels. Bought the 3 foot high (8 panel) sets from Vebo. Got 2 sets and they are the kind with the long pins for hinges. Took those out and turned each panel sideways and cable tied them into pairs so each pair makes one v. You need ten V's for a set and this only gives you 8 V's so I added two pairs of Bunnings green wire frame garden arches that are 3 foot long each. They hook together at each end so make their own V. These are the nicest to run through, easiest to set up and make a nice clear run. However they weigh a tonne and are a pain to lug to the park.

I have also done the more portable version with plastic garden trellis. You buy a roll for about $20 from Bunnings. I needed 3 rolls and made each section 1.5 metres. I think I could have done with maybe another 15 to 20cm as the channel is narrower than the puppy fences. You need a whole lot of plastic curtain rings to attach each end. This is fiddly but a whole lot lighter to carry round. A hint with this is when its new, store the sections flat, maybe with a weight on them so they lose the curl from the roll. Otherwise they are a bit too tightly curled to get to sit straight at the start.

Whichever version you start with, you need to fade them out and I do that with the little 1 foot wide garden arches, also from Bunnings. Replace each V with one little arch, starting with the centre ones and gradually move them out till you can remove them all together.

I have seen the single wire guides on clean run and would like to try them but I think I would still start with the fence or trellis version first.

I used push in the ground garden trellis for Ricji, you can get them fromn bunnings, at our club they have lengths of plastic trellis that is used to make a channel along the weaves , depends on the dog and yourself, Chopper I used individual weaves that were put in at angles and slowly brought in and straightened slowly over time