Taking Dog To New Zealand

pepe001

Has anyone taken a dog to NZ and back ( 2 weeks later)? Hubby wants to take his 'potential (ie he hasn't got one yet)' dog on holidays. I have read both NZ and Aus websites re import/export and it seems easy enough. Anyone done it and have bad or good stories to tell, plus cost if excess bagage (labrador - 30kg dog I guess)?

Edited by pepe001

Has anyone taken a dog to NZ and back ( 2 weeks later)? Hubby wants to take his 'potential (ie he hasn't got one yet)' dog on holidays. I have read both NZ and Aus websites re import/export and it seems easy enough. Anyone done it and have bad or good stories to tell, plus cost if excess bagage (labrador - 30kg dog I guess)?

Would cost a couple of thousand or more. Personally I can't see the point.

Like everyone else has mentioned - it'll be quite expensive. Coming back not so much but going over factor in the blood test ($250).

Can't see the point really - if you want to have a holiday you can't take a dog to most tourist spots. If visiting family then that's not really an issue of course (assuming they're set up for a dog/can have a dog where they live)

Unless the import laws for dogs have changed in NZ, all dogs are subject to quarantine upon arrival so you would not have your dog with you for your holiday anyway. There is no quarantine period for dogs coming in to Australia from NZ. We brought our GSD with us nine years ago from NZ and the cost was $1500 - one way.

Unless the import laws for dogs have changed in NZ, all dogs are subject to quarantine upon arrival so you would not have your dog with you for your holiday anyway. There is no quarantine period for dogs coming in to Australia from NZ. We brought our GSD with us nine years ago from NZ and the cost was $1500 - one way.

Dogs coming from Australia into NZ are NOT subject to quarantine. They have to be tested for Babesia with bloodtests, but no quarantine either way between Australia and NZ. Apart form the cost factor, I wouldn't subject a dog to the stress of arline travel for a two week holiday. Also NZ does not have the same dog friendly holiday accomodation choices Australia does.

Just what I needed to prevent the discussions from going any further. Thank you everyone. I made the same points but didn't know the cost aspect. Hopefully that will stop his thoughts from running away even more.