Non-shedding Dogs

I found out recently from my neurologist why i am allergic to dogs when i wasn't before.I have become sensitive to smells that can trigger a migraine.

Many everyday odors can give me an instant headache and nausea .Strong doggy odor will trigger a headache almost instantly or can take a few hours of exposure before i get a reaction.So i guess i will have to find a breed with low / little odor;that would be more important to me than shedding;however i would prefer less shedding but would manage some moderate shedding for a suitable dog that i could live with without a reaction.

My last dog shed but the hair stayed mostly in her coat and i could brush it out and would only find a few hairs in the house if at all.

I read the other day that the Smooth Collie does not have a strong doggy odor !... Is this so ?? ..If it is then i will put Collies on my to look at breeds list..

Purdie when you find a breed you like, ask the breeder if you can send a t Shirt to them to be with the dog you are considering, then when you get it back wear it and see if you react, I have found this to work very well with anyone wanting to test.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get a lot of requests for "non-sedding" in rescue... until we explain that "non-shedding" has grooming requirements that "shedders" don't tend to have.

Really - it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other... shedders mean that you need to vacuum more often, and non-shedders need brushing and/or clipping at regular intervals... I know which appeals more to my lazy bum... *grin*

T.

My mother in law has a rescue dog. She is some kind of terrier. I'd guess at silk cross perhaps Maltese but that is only a guess. She doesn't shed. She doesn't smell. She needs little grooming. I also once, a billion years ago, had a little Maltese cross Silky and she was the same. She didn't need much grooming either.

I've seen well bred Mlatese who have hair down to the floor and they would obviously require a lot of grooming but the average garden variety Maltese that seems to be in abundance appears to hav much shorter hair that is not as silky and therefore would be easier to maintain.

I think the argument that if you go non shedding you get high grooming is baseless I guess is what I am getting at. Im sure there are those who are non shedding that have high grooming requirements but many are not and to say "non shedding has grooming requirements shedders don't have" is false.

Edited by ~Anne~