4 Weeks In Whelp

Pockets

My girl is 4 weeks in whelp, she has now become very fussy in what she eats, but she is hungry. She was the same for her last litter.

She is usually a very good eater, loves her food, no matter what it is, so its quite frustrating when in whelp she turns her nose up at her current meals.

Her diet consists of Advance Active (he usual dry food) combined with raw beef mince, also has K9 Puppy Gold mixed in.

My worry is that because she wont eat the dry food, she is not getting the proper nutrition she needs for the pregnancy etc, or am I being paranoid? She will eat the raw meat and also chicken wings etc, but spits out the dry food.

Her last litter she did this aswell, it was hard getting her to eat anything at all for many many weeks, I am not just talking about a few days when her body is adjusting to the hormones etc.

Last time I ended up buying her roast chickens, as I couldn't see her go hungry, but still to me thats not adequate enough nutrition. I even swapped her over the Royal Canin mother and baby dog, which she ate a few the first night, but wouldnt touch is for the remainder.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could add or feed her to make sure she is getting the proper nutrition or with the K9 Puppy Gold mixed with meat be sufficient?

Last times she whelped 8 very large, strong healthy puppies, who thrived from the get go, she carried good weight and there were no problems whelping etc

Just thought this time I may as well ask what others do when they have bitches who go off their food :) any advice is appreciated :)

She gets bones, brisket, chicken wings etc varied, so this is sufficient for a bitch in whelp? I guess since she was fine last time and all the puppies were quite large and chunky when born that she would be ok, but just wanted to check...I just want to make sure I am doing my best for her nutritionally :)

At four weeks my girls go off of their food for up to a week, I call it morning sickness, I have never had an exception, so between three and four weeks I am waiting for it, I just offer them their normal fresh meat diet, then all of a sudden they start eating and I cannot fill them, then we go through the same thing again for about one to two weeks after whelping, but then mine have c sections, just be patient, she will make up for lost time. :)

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Cheers Mjosa, yes it seems the time, its just that she was very hard to get to eat through the whole of her pregnancy last time, was hoping this time would be different, its quite interesting to see a dog that will do anything for food, suddenly just walk away disinterested....shes funny, gets all excited at dinner time, sits, I put it down she sniffs licks and looks at me and walks off :laugh: ....silly dog...

So many seem to do this and you worry so much - I have hand fed my girls to make sure they get what they need - but once the pups arrive they eat like a horse - don't forget their tummy may not be able to hold as much with pups in there see if you can get her to eat more smaller meals - if she has a favorite food then let her have it. One of my girls for a while would eat nothing but chicken necks - she survived really well and the pups were just fine.

So many seem to do this and you worry so much - I have hand fed my girls to make sure they get what they need - but once the pups arrive they eat like a horse - don't forget their tummy may not be able to hold as much with pups in there see if you can get her to eat more smaller meals - if she has a favorite food then let her have it. One of my girls for a while would eat nothing but chicken necks - she survived really well and the pups were just fine.

Buy some Nutrigel, its excellent stuff or some vitamins to add to her diet.

As long as she is eating & you are providing a variety of choice there is not much else you can do. Pregnant dogs like pregnant people have their fads & go off things too.

Healthy babies are born to many who eat what seems to be crap throughout the pregnancy.

very true Christina :)

Think I just worry too much, she is healthy and happy and last time pups were born fat and healthy, so I guess I will just let her be and eat when she wants to...all I can do is offer her food :)

She has definately turned her nose up at the raw, so have just been feeding her raw beef mince with K9 Puppy Gold and also chicken necks and chicken wings, alternating with brisket etc...

My girl is 4 weeks pregnant too, & the only thing she will eat at the moment is cooked meat & scrambled eggs & yoghurt. She will not eat any raw (except for chicken wings )& is turning her nose up at the dry food.

I have ordered some Nutrigel & some K9 Puppy Gold to make sure she is getting her vitamins & minerals, & will mix it with raw mince.

She was like this with her last litter too, & all pups where born healthy & a good size, so I'm not going to stress about it too much! :)