Greyhound Registry Body?

Leema

Thank-you!

Just looking at their website with stats ( http://www.galtd.org.au/GreyhoundsAustralasia/index.php?q=node/111 ), with the numbers of greyhounds registered (12280) seems very smal compared to the number of litters (3023). That puts the average litter size as 4. Do greyhounds really have such small litters, or is there just no requirement of pups all being registered?

The average of 4 seems slightly low but not astoundingly so. They can have huge litters, though this is not the norm; litters of 1 or 2 are not uncommon, especially if they are only talking about live births. For example, my Cleo had 6, but only 3 survived so I imagine it would have been recorded as 3 (7 years ago).

Thank-you!

Just looking at their website with stats ( http://www.galtd.org.au/GreyhoundsAustralasia/index.php?q=node/111 ), with the numbers of greyhounds registered (12280) seems very smal compared to the number of litters (3023). That puts the average litter size as 4. Do greyhounds really have such small litters, or is there just no requirement of pups all being registered?

you may be looking at litters v dogs named .

dogs are not named usually until they are broken in and ready to race.

So how old are they when they begin to race? 2 years?

Regardless, the registered vs litters has pretty much stayed the same over the last 10 years (the data presented).

4 is the average in my breed, and we have little dogs! It seems strange for such a big breed to have an average litter size of only 4. Most of my online reading suggests 6-8 is more average, but it's how to know, eh?

Stan was from a litter of 8 and Maddie from a litter of 6. Rebanne would be the one to ask about litter sizes.

I'm not sure what age they start to race but most that come into rescue are around 18 months/ 2 years.

Stan was from a litter of 8 and Maddie from a litter of 6. Rebanne would be the one to ask about litter sizes.

I'm not sure what age they start to race but most that come into rescue are around 18 months/ 2 years.

not for race dogs :o

At the kennels I work at the last 4 bitches we have had whelp there they have had 8 pups and one girl only had two.

If you go through litters that have been registered as race dogs (Greyhound data base) I have found that litters on the larger size seem to be common. Having said that I've been looking at certain dogs in certain lines so maybe genetics plays a part in that ???