Dog Walkers Fight Over Leash

SkySoaringMagpie

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/man-punched-in-belconnen-dog-fight-20130604-2nnir.html

A 60-year-old man says he was assaulted while taking his dogs for a walk at a Belconnen oval.

Paul Bradley has been left with a black eye and stitches after a younger man walking his dog at Weetangera Neighbourhood Oval on Monday night allegedly landed at least three punches after a heated argument over dogs being off their leashes.

Mr Bradley said he took two dogs – a Labrador-border collie cross and a Labrador-kelpie cross – to the park about 5.30pm on Monday night, and the dogs approached the other man’s dog and barked.

“I let them off the lead and they saw this other dog, and what they did was bolt over and on this occasion barked, and the man said they growled,” he said.

Mr Bradley said he walked towards the incident and the man, walking a Blue Heeler of similar size to the two dogs, criticised him for allowing the dogs off their leash.

“Probably a dozen times he said the same phrase – ‘I’m sick of people like you taking their dogs off the lead’,” he said.

“He kicked the dog towards the end of the discussion.”

Mr Bradley said he replied “you’re the one being aggressive, not the dogs – it’s an off-lead area”.

Mr Bradley said the man then attacked him.

“He landed several blows, then pulled the jacket over my head,” he said.

“I can understand someone being freaked out [when the dogs came over], but once they realise there’s no danger … ”

He said that by the time the men were arguing, the dogs were milling around together.

An ACT Policing spokesperson said they received a report of an alleged assault at about 6.30pm last night.

“Investigations are ongoing. As such, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” he said.

The Territory and Municipal Services Dog Control Areas map indicates Weetangera Neighbourhood Oval is a dogs off-leash area.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started to post and decided I was speechless. That is my pretty close to my neighbourhood.

I was just talking about it with Keshwar and I mentioned that while one might expect to see dogs fighting one wouldn't expect to see their owners punching on. Keshwar said "well, it is Belco".

:bolt:

Gosh, almost exactly the same thing happened to me tonight. The guy came at me but didn't follow through, probably only because his two young kids were there. He did lay the boot into my (completely harmless and under effective control) dog though. What is wrong with people?

ETA: and this was on a beach in a nice area, I've never had any trouble before and don't expect to again either.

Edited by Aidan2

Gosh, almost exactly the same thing happened to me tonight. The guy came at me but didn't follow through, probably only because his two young kids were there. He did lay the boot into my (completely harmless and under effective control) dog though. What is wrong with people?

Like road rage, trolley rage, whatever rage I guess. They're angry and looking for a target - whether consciously or unconsciously. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I guess so. As a cyclist I see a lot of it, too. One thing I took away from playing rugby is that even if tempers flare out of control, most of the time people will settle down, feel a little bit stupid, and have a beer together quite happily if given the opportunity.

Poor Belco, we are just misunderstood!

Don't know what the guy's motivation was, but we do have a problem with aggro loose dogs in this area, and nothing much gets done when you report them. I have generally found good manners on the off lead ovals though, it is the street that is riskier. Not excusing anyone, it shouldn't have happened.

Edited by Diva

Poor Belco, we are just misunderstood!

Don't know what the guys motivation was, but we do have a problem with aggro loose dogs in this area, and nothing much gets done when you report them. I have generally found good manners on the off lead ovals though, it is the street that is riskier. Not excusing anyone, it shouldn't have happened.

Could have been frightened, or protective or spooked because his dog was dog aggressive.

I'd be pissed too if two dogs bolted up to mine barking with their owner unconcerned. I wouldn't come out swinging though.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Could have been frightened, or protective or spooked because his dog was dog aggressive.

The guy who threatened me and kicked Toby this afternoon had a very nervous dog. But he'd seen that Toby was friendly with other dogs, Toby came when I called him, and it's an off-leash area with an on-leash area 10m back from the beach with beautiful park-lands.

Some people are just dicks.

The guy who threatened me and kicked Toby this afternoon had a very nervous dog. But he'd seen that Toby was friendly with other dogs, Toby came when I called him, and it's an off-leash area with an on-leash area 10m back from the beach with beautiful park-lands.

Yep. But I'd expect the worst reactions from protective or worried owners. I've had a fear aggressive dog attacked because it reacted negatively to another dog's approach. Not fun. Again I didn't punch anyone.

Easy solution - I don't let my dogs approach other people's dogs unless I know them. Period.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

BELCO PRIDE!

att1784354nb3.jpg

bolt.gif

Bahahaha, that is nearly as bad as the Queanboss boys (yep that is what they call themselves).. They have a whole heap of you tube clips of them being their little bogan selves.

I just went looking for a link for you but it appears that they have all gone.. Bummer.

On the main topic, if it is an off lead area and you don't have control or your dogs don't recall, don't take them there and let them off.

The other guy shouldn't have attacked the man over it though..

Yep. But I'd expect the worst reactions from protective or worried owners. I've had a fear aggressive dog attacked because it reacted negatively to another dog's approach. Not fun. Again I didn't punch anyone.

Easy solution - I don't let my dogs approach other people's dogs unless I know them. Period.

Yes, that seems a sensible approach, sad that it would have to go that way though. One thing I like particularly about where we live is that it does have a great off-leash area, and because everyone is walking there are rarely any problems between the dogs.

Actually, not that I would have admitted it to this joker, but had his dog not been in a group of other dogs I would have put my dog on-leash as a courtesy simply because his dog was on a leash. I still don't understand why people will take shy, anxious or aggressive dogs to off-leash areas, but there's no law against it.