Happy Tail

Are you waiting for an appointment with SABS? Well worth it if that's the case.

Have you looked into Karen Overall's protocol for relaxation? I think Gus might benefit from it, eventhough you may find it very frustrating to start with

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you waiting for an appointment with SABS? Well worth it if that's the case.

Have you looked into Karen Overall's protocol for relaxation? I think Gus might benefit from it, eventhough you may find it very frustrating to start with

I have a consult with steve from k9 pro, I have heard good things about his training and I have attended a workshop of his and liked his approach so im going to give it a shot.

Googling Karen now! haha I have a lot of reading to do but anything helps I guess the more I can expose myself to on the subject the more I can see what works for Gus and me.

I would be asking more why is the skin splitting again and again? My rottie ripped off the tip of his tail but it healed to a hard calous that never split again because I didnt over wrap it or let him lick it.

One trick with the hair roller is to super glue it onto the end of the tail. Get one just small enough to slip oveer, half trim the hair on the lower part of the tail and drip the glue in through the roller NEVER onto the wound. It will fall off when the hair sheds but you wont need miles of tape to keep it on there. I would be tempted to spray metho on the wound when it heals up to encourage the skin to dry up properly, not the most attractive thing but it should keep him from smashing it again.

To be honest he just sounds like an over excited young dog that was never taught to calm down. Dog's don't really care about pain the way we do - if he's being rewarded from the behavior and is over excited he's not going to care at all about cutting his tail open again and again. It's like dogs who shred themselves chasing prey animals or escaping, if the perceived reward is acheivable they will do rediculous things to get it. Frankly unless he's already getting severe infections I would not go as far as cutting off the tail. If he was my dog I'd spray metho on it all the time to remind him it hurts a lot and to watch his tail.

super glue was actually created as a way to suture skin without stitches. You never put it in wounds you pinch them together tight and make a line of glue over them. We used to patch up dogs with little nicks with it at the vet clinic. It wont eat normal skin but it burns in a wound.

As for metho, antibacterial and dries quickly, helps dry skin and can toughen pads on soft dogs when done daily. Both actually have medicinal uses. Stings like heck on raw wounds so be careful.

Hmmm..

one suggestion I will make is to change the conversation ;)

keep your vocal conversations low tone, slower and calmer ...

"Gooooood Doogg" rather than "oh, GOOOOD boyyyyy :) :) !!!!! '

"hello dog" .....as greeting , rather than Hi, Boy :D Did you Miss us ??? have you been Goood ? You Look wonderful :) ......

You may also enjoy doing some 'whisper therapy' ;)

not much eye contact ..and talk to him in a whisper ..that way he needs to concentrate on exactly what's going on ..not how high he's bouncing ;)

Sometimes, even loving eye contact can set of a tail wag frenzy .... so keep your conversations low key with him ....and good luck withy teh consult :)

I have to agree. Fern is often crated if I am out.

If I open the front door and hear "bang, bang, bang". It is difficult though I do not say a word. I go to the loo, turn lights on and even start the fire, put groceries away etc.

Fern is not able to leave the crate until she settles. Even then Pern is sent outside (away from me) to wee etc.

She does not come inside until she settles down. Having said that if you look at OT I am a terrible dog owner :laugh:

super glue was actually created as a way to suture skin without stitches. You never put it in wounds you pinch them together tight and make a line of glue over them. We used to patch up dogs with little nicks with it at the vet clinic. It wont eat normal skin but it burns in a wound.

As for metho, antibacterial and dries quickly, helps dry skin and can toughen pads on soft dogs when done daily. Both actually have medicinal uses. Stings like heck on raw wounds so be careful.

Ow cool ,thanks for that advice, I might need it for something else, dont know what his done but his now got a chunk missing from his leg, I might need to wipe it down with the metho before trying to dress it.... **sighs** its just never ending with this dog.

I dont talk to Gus or look at him when I come home his straight in the crate or when I let them out in the morning, but it comes to the point where I dont have a relationship with my dog its forever trying to get him calm and trying to make it enjoyable to be around. When I do talk in the house or even to him it is calm and I try not to get too excited around it...... if were outside in a park situation yea I make a bit of a racket because I want to play with him and he responds well to that, he loves tug and a flirt poll and will drop it until he can play again so I try to tire him out that way

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Be cautious with metho on broken skin ! :( try on yourself if you like first ;) !!

It is good for drying pads/disinfecting skin /toughening skin, using to clean/disinfect skin before a procedure :)

betadine (or saline solution if nothing else )is a great disinfectant/anti bacterial for wounds

Be cautious with metho on broken skin ! :( try on yourself if you like first ;) !!

It is good for drying pads/disinfecting skin /toughening skin, using to clean/disinfect skin before a procedure :)

betadine (or saline solution if nothing else )is a great disinfectant/anti bacterial for wounds

Betadine might be a better option lol, metho burns like nothing i've ever tried!! hahah I did try on me first .

Betadine might be a better option lol, metho burns like nothing i've ever tried!! hahah I did try on me first .

Betadine gets used most days here ..anything doubtful ..on goes the betadine ;)

(I think we need a roller tail pic ! :p )