Risks Of Un-descended Testicles/de-sexing

Justrace

What are the risks of not de sexing a dog when only one testicle has descended?

Murphy is now 5 1/2 months and we're not sure if we're going to get him de-sexed at 6 months or wait a bit longer for him to mature a bit. It appears that only one of his testicles has come down & I have been told that if their not both down by the time they are 6 months they wont come down.

The other issue that I have is our next door neighbour has an entire bitch, he doesn't lock her up when she is in season & doesn't plan on getting her fixed. I'm concerned that they will get to each other :eek:

You need to remove that undescended testicle, as it can become cancerous from being inside (it's warmer in there, and testicles don't like it). But you could probably wait until the dog is 12-18 months old and not have the testicle go cancerous.

If you have a secure yard, you don't have to worry about your dog getting out, regardless of what your next door neighbour is doing or otherwise.

My boy had both his testes undescended and I waited until he was about 15 months to get him desexed. The vet said the testes were very small but other than that looked normal. Probably would have been fine waiting longer than that.

You definitely should get the dog desexed, but I'd wait until he has finished growing.

We had our male dog sexed in the UK at around 10mths old, both of his were undescended and he had to have quite invasive surgery to find them :( I was told they would turn cancerous.

He was a rescue, so we had to desex him asap.

I waited till 9 months to desex my boy... I was planning to wait a year but I was very very lucky and the undescended testie descended so I decided to go for it whilst it was down!I was advised 12 months would be safe to wait but that testie was very very abnormal in my boy so I don't think anyone can say for sure.

My little JS male had both retained testes. I wanted to wait until he was about 18 months but because of this had him done at 8 months, mainly because he had started marking in the house, plus didn't want to take the chance of them becoming cancerous even though I'd heard that other people had waited until a year or more. He had to have a spay.

Cancer is unlikely to happen in a few months ...so, if possible let him grow and mature for a while longer :)

you might like this article :)

LINK

Years ago we had a dog who was never castrated ..and had a retained testicle ...yes it did get cancerous - when the dog was 14 !