Heat Cycle

Hi All

My dam has came on heat and was just after some info on how long does the bleeding last?

She is a Stafford and on Friday night a mastiff had got into my yard and possible mated with her

He had hurt her abit she has all cuts over her.

I have taken her to the vets where the vet prescribed antibiotics for her cuts and grazes.

She is inside now but just wondering how long the bleeding lasts for.

If the mastiff has mated with her the pups will be aborted as I never wanted her to have pups

she is 9 months old and the only reason she hasn't been spayed yet is due to the vet not wanting to desex

her due to having a bad case of demodex.

Although she could of been spayed last week but her cycle had started so we had to put it off

She is booked in for 2 weeks time to be spayed.

Thanks in advance

Yes, get her speyed ASAP .....

Also keep her indoors .... it's lucky she wasn't badly hurt/killed ... :(

You can get her speyed NOW ..it is a bit riskier , but it can be done ..she will still be in season in a fortnight ..so risks are about teh same .

have a read here .

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/246794-desexing-after-heat/page__p__6133990__hl__%2Bdesex+%2Bbitch+%2Bseason__fromsearch__1#entry6133990

Yes, get her speyed ASAP .....

x2

Aborting the pups then spaying her later is a waste of time, may as well just spay her now and have done with it, it will be less stressful for her and for you - stress which could quite easily get her demodex going again.

Lesson learnt - no unsupervised outside time for an in season bitch in your yard :)

Edited by Sandra777

Yes Sandra lesson learnt alright.

Very sad lesson at that as she is my baby and I feel very terrible

about it.

I thought the yard was secure but I guess it wasn't.

As for getting the pup's aborted at the same time as desexing thats what I planned on doing :)

On which day/date did she start with bloody discharge? I think it's basically 9/9/9? Nine days bloody discharge, 9 days straw coloured, 9 days coming off heat?

I would wait a couple of weeks as your vet has advised. You want the skin scratches to heal first, and a couple of weeks on AB's will help with the demodex whilst going through surgery.

If you can keep her in, there's less haemorrhage risk once she is starting to come off heat - next 2-3 weeks. :)

On which day/date did she start with bloody discharge? I think it's basically 9/9/9? Nine days bloody discharge, 9 days straw coloured, 9 days coming off heat?

I would wait a couple of weeks as your vet has advised. You want the skin scratches to heal first, and a couple of weeks on AB's will help with the demodex whilst going through surgery.

If you can keep her in, there's less haemorrhage risk once she is starting to come off heat - next 2-3 weeks. :)

Yeah I'd do this too, how scary. I'm glad she's ok.

Sorry I meant in two to three weeks time from now. She will have almost finished her season by then.

Although as perse said there is probably a similar risk either way, i.e. doing it ASAP or in a few weeks time.

Edited by Aussie3

If I wait a few weeks after her heat and if the mastiff did get her in pup

Wouldnt there be more complications for her. With pups being bigger?

Not particularly, they are teeny at 2-3 weeks gestation. A slightly bigger wound perhaps, that's about all. Do you know the first day of the heat?

I've assisted in many close to term pregnancy speys (camp dogs) and they're generally fine. :)

Forgot to say, if you want to on-lead exercise her - drive her to another location, otherwise you leave a good scent trail all the way to/from your home for male dogs. :)

Edited by Staff'n'Toller