Desexing After Heat?

Maya is almost finished her first heat, thank goodness! (I have been the most paranoid owner throughout the past few weeks...) I have been told by a few people and read around the net that it is a good idea to wait 2 or so months after the first heat before desexing because of swelling? I will be checking with our vet but what is people's experience and thoughts on desexing after a heat?

As a side note I'm so glad Maya has been such a good girl throughout. I can tell she misses our usual walks and visits, especially going to the dog park to visit all her friends, but she has been ultra tolerant. Hasn't destroyed anything even when unsupervised in the house, settling down to sleep or follow me and James around, even accepting the sanitary pants without batting an eyelid :)

Yeah I would wait 2-3 months if it were me. Most things I've read recommend this.

x2

A bitch goes through virtually the same hormonal changes after her heat whether she's pregnant or not so to cut off this process without good reason can do very odd things to her. Some really don't seem to change at all, some change a lot. If she was my dog I'd wait for about 3 months, about half way though the "probable" heat cycle so her hormones are at their lowest levels. Of course then you run the risk that's she's one of those lovely creatures that comes in season every 3 months :laugh:

Guest donatella

I'm going through the same thing now with my six month old pup, she came in a few days before she was meant to have her op. I would be interested to hear as well.

Gee that's early for a little'un isn't it?

Bonnie was booked in for hers Monday (she's 8 months) and she came in last week so ours is postponed as well. We are at the end second week and I haven't noticed anything to be honest. She's either excellent at keeping herself clean or hasn't really started yet.

I have never done this before.

Asti only had a small amount of discharge, I read that often with the first heat there is less. Her toileting wasn't the best though as she had a few accidents in the first week but it seems better now in the second.

I thought it was a little early for her heat but I guess she is a early bloomer, my past little dogs both were desexed at nearly 7 months with no sign of a heat.

Guest donatella

Yep I noticed swelling, lots more toileting and Lucy kept checking her out and sniffing her but that's about it. I think it's nearly done actually, wasn't near as bad as I thought actually.

Generally the smaller the breed the younger they come in on average, and 6 months is not unusual.

The bigger the breed the later on average but individuals and lines can vary a lot. My personal record was 22 months old for a first season for a Borzoi bitch, who went on to have seasons that were regularly nine months apart. Nothing wrong with her, just how it can go with the big girls. If I were to desex I would wait until until six weeks after a season just to make it as easy as possible on the bitch.

Edited by Diva

A dog I had over 20 years ago (Shepherd/Rotti cross) came into season two weeks before she was booked in to be desexed (at 6 months). The vet wouldn't then do her at that time obviously, but as soon as she finished her season, we had her done. (More details why below) We didn't notice any changes in her nature or personality and she continued to grow as we expected her to.

It was a long couple of weeks though. When we were at home, she was either inside with us or in the laundry. During the day when we were at work, we put her under the house (suspended floor house). We came home one day to find a male dog had jumped into our backyard (5 foot wooden fences with wire extensions) and between the pair of them, had absolutely destroyed the door that went under the house. Aside from the fact that we had absolutely no intention of breeding from her (hence the already booked appointment) she was way too young to be a mother and the male dog was without exception, the ugliest mutt I had ever seen :laugh: So, I figured that if she had become pregnant, it would be better to have the operation done as soon as possible, rather than waiting to find out if she was pregnant. The vet agreed. Fortunately, she wasn't pregnant, but it was still a relief to have that confirmed and never to have to go through that anguish and stress of waiting again.