Anyone Every Used A Dog Poo Composter?

Trisven13

I have a silly, young hound at the moment who loves to dig but once there's poo in a hole, she'll move elsewhere to excavate.

Usually, I use poo to fill in all the holes we get from having foster dogs

What do you do after you put poop on the holes? My backyard has also met exuberant fosters, and my partner sprained his ankle mowing last weekend. But the dirt seems to magically disappear when they dig! The (very deep) holes have a slight mound around the top of it, but not enough to grab a handful of. You mentioned it doesn't seem to smell, so there must be something on top of the poop. Would appreciate your help!

I have a silly, young hound at the moment who loves to dig but once there's poo in a hole, she'll move elsewhere to excavate.

Usually, I use poo to fill in all the holes we get from having foster dogs

What do you do after you put poop on the holes? My backyard has also met exuberant fosters, and my partner sprained his ankle mowing last weekend. But the dirt seems to magically disappear when they dig! The (very deep) holes have a slight mound around the top of it, but not enough to grab a handful of. You mentioned it doesn't seem to smell, so there must be something on top of the poop. Would appreciate your help!

As DD said, just soil. I fill in with as much poo as I can find and then use the poop scooper to scrape soil in from around the edges to cover it. A bit of a spray with the hose also seems to help hold the soil in place (and also seems to set it a bit and they don't seem inclined to try digging at it again).

At one stage, Lamington had so many holes on the go, I couldn't find enough poo to go around so was also having to use clippings from the hedge out the front and whatever leaves I could mulch up with the leaf blower. Being sighthounds and liking to do crazy zoomies, my biggest fear is one of the dogs breaking a leg in a hole so they have to be filled in :/

I was thinking about this thread as I walked my dogs and picked up other dogs' poos left by people who seem to think they are above picking up after their dogs :mad:mad .

If you don't have enough soil, perhaps just buy a bag of the cheapest mulch you can find any gardening centre and sprinkle a bit of that on top.

The only creatures digging holes in my yard and then only out the front where the dogs aren't on the lose are bandicoots :laugh: .

Hippo, I wish you lived next door to me: I have so much garden waste that I could have 1/2 dozen compost heaps on the go at once I finally gave in recently and ordered another council green bin. :(

I was thinking about this thread as I walked my dogs and picked up other dogs' poos left by people who seem to think they are above picking up after their dogs :mad:mad .

If you don't have enough soil, perhaps just buy a bag of the cheapest mulch you can find any gardening centre and sprinkle a bit of that on top.

The only creatures digging holes in my yard and then only out the front where the dogs aren't on the lose are bandicoots :laugh: .

Hippo, I wish you lived next door to me: I have so much garden waste that I could have 1/2 dozen compost heaps on the go at once I finally gave in recently and ordered another council green bin. :(

We bought a whole trailer full of soil for the back lawn about 18 months ago. Where is that soil now.. damned if I can figure out where it all goes :p

Garden waste! Great idea.

I also have a horse, AKA poop machine, so I could use that too.

I also have a greyhound but now she is getting on in years and zoomies only happen about once a month now. For half a lap. Then it's back to bed.

Garden waste! Great idea.

I also have a horse, AKA poop machine, so I could use that too.

I also have a greyhound but now she is getting on in years and zoomies only happen about once a month now. For half a lap. Then it's back to bed.

Bit off topic, but there is a company here that sells "Super Poo". It is the rakings from stables allowed to compost.

Horse poo is excellent for gardens. LOL.