What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

Rumour's learning to transfer her handstand from a wall for support to a person for support. She's started to offer it on unsuspecting guests :laugh:

She's also working on the duration of her bow and crawling under six chairs spaced about a metre apart each without getting up between any of them for a bit of fun, she absolutely flies through them and loves to bark the whole way through.

We've been starting to learn to lift both left paws and both right paws but that's still a work in progress.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody is interested, Clean Run have Collapsible Target Sticks on free shipping for just $8.95 US

Corvus...I have never tried it, but what if you were to touch his back foot & click & treat as soon as he lifts it. Then progress to keeping your hand there, threatening to touch it, & click to get duration. I know my girl has ticklish feet, so it might work. :)

Enabler :p

Yes, that's how I taught Em a kick back stand. She offers behaviours so fast that I can't keep up :laugh: so tickling her into a stand was just so much easier. BTW, sheena, I too love using the clicker....I use a verbal marker when training a lot of things but the dogs' eyes light up when they see the clicker come out. I always train my dogs without a collar/lead so the toughest thing about juggling the clicker/treats is not spilling my wine :laugh:

How exciting - I love the pocket hand idea and will watch that thread with interest. Pasha is just the right height.

We are working on some basics at the moment - retrieving all kinds of things (including metal things), stand for exam and loose lead walking.

In terms of tricks, we have been mucking around with standing up on his hind legs. I'm having trouble making the transition from luring (with a spoonful of food) to rewarding. If I don't have the food, he just jumps up and comes straight back down. With the spoon of food, he'll stay up for 4-5 seconds and move around a bit as well.

I haven't been doing a lot of tricks lately....too busy training other stuff! Em has been working on spins both ways (front, left heel, right heel), crawling (especially between my feet) and stationary leg weaves. We started reversing through my legs but that has been neglected with all the retrieving trialling. Zig is not as body aware as Em although he is catching up a bit with spins etc. Perch work is fun for both of them :)

If anybody is interested, Clean Run have Collapsible Target Sticks on free shipping for just $8.95 US

Corvus...I have never tried it, but what if you were to touch his back foot & click & treat as soon as he lifts it. Then progress to keeping your hand there, threatening to touch it, & click to get duration. I know my girl has ticklish feet, so it might work. :)

Enabler :p

Yes, that's how I taught Em a kick back stand. She offers behaviours so fast that I can't keep up :laugh: so tickling her into a stand was just so much easier. BTW, sheena, I too love using the clicker....I use a verbal marker when training a lot of things but the dogs' eyes light up when they see the clicker come out. I always train my dogs without a collar/lead so the toughest thing about juggling the clicker/treats is not spilling my wine :laugh:

I don't have a lead to worry about either.....Hmmmmmmmm....must try it with the wine :laugh:

How exciting - I love the pocket hand idea and will watch that thread with interest. Pasha is just the right height.

We are working on some basics at the moment - retrieving all kinds of things (including metal things), stand for exam and loose lead walking.

In terms of tricks, we have been mucking around with standing up on his hind legs. I'm having trouble making the transition from luring (with a spoonful of food) to rewarding. If I don't have the food, he just jumps up and comes straight back down. With the spoon of food, he'll stay up for 4-5 seconds and move around a bit as well.

Are you using a clicker ? I started this with luring, then clicking & dropping the treat. But now I keep the treats in my pocket, just hold my hand up high & if she stays there for a couple of seconds I click & then I take a treat out of my pocket & throw it to her to catch...it doesn't matter that by the time she gets the reward she is back on the ground..it's the click that marks the position.

I gave it a go, today, but my girl sort of freaked out a bit :laugh: Will try again though.

Haha yeah mines not finding it comforting yet, but I figure the more it gets associated with awesome treats the more she'll like it. XD

Rumour's learning to transfer her handstand from a wall for support to a person for support. She's started to offer it on unsuspecting guests :laugh:

That's brilliant :laugh:

I'm a trick noob as well but I have been working on heel and come as stations. Now taking them into distracting environments and moving the heel. Just a few steps for now. He doesn't play so I've taught him with a clicker to run out for a thrown toy and he will mouth it until it squeaks. I can't seem to work out how to get him to hold the toy and give it to me. As a bulldog I'm not sure if its uncomfortable for him to hold toys with all the flappy gums? He does chew bones and kongs but doesn't seem to have the instinct to tug or hold a toy?

haha that's awesome Sheena. XD I am trying to picture a hopping collie, very cute indeed!

Hank, I wish I could help, I have the opposite kind of dog, she gets enormous pleasure out of holding and carrying things in her mouth.

Here is some stuff you might find useful on it?

Blog post by Denise Fenzi on shaped retrieve: http://denisefenzi.com/2012/09/04/training-a-shaped-retrieve/

You tube clips of teaching a shaped retrieve in 6 sessions with an operant clicker savvy dog.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Our standing on hind legs is going well...she really has the hang of it now...just have to build duration slowly. She is really trying hard to reverse back straight between my legs. If she is a bit crooked & misses, I say nothing & no click & she has another go until she gets it, then click & treat. I love watching her think. Last night she kept giving me the toy, then she would back up & I would say to her "what trick are you going to teach me...you choose" & she would offer me one of her tricks...so cute :)

Edited by sheena

Guest Clover

We did more work on backwards circle around me in class tonight, Tin is starting to get the hang of of :). Hoping to have more consistency by next class.

More a context than concept for us. Had a delightful 5 year old child tagging along with her mum for Puppy Games class last night. I had her helping me with some puppies (impulse control and jumping up) and she just handled it perfectly and with better timing than half the class! She loves my Em and always comes over for a snuggle - Em doesn't have much experience with kids but was really good with her. I had Em working for the child, doing multiple hand touches and spins - I'm not sure who was having more fun. Kid was awesome and it was just so lovely to see!!!

Don't the kids adore a really keen dog! Jarrah has kept some kids completely enthralled with her eagerness to perform tricks for treats. XD

So lovely to watch.

And it's so heartening to see the next generation of dog trainers! It helps protect against the number of idiots out there :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Bindi is going well with her reversing between my legs...probably too well, as she anticipates & reverses so fast, she almost trips me over if I am not ready for her. :laugh: She's getting good on the "hip hop" too. How's everyone else's tricks going. :)

Kivi and Erik both learned to target with their heads. It was hard going, particularly for Erik who has a natural aversion to movement over his head (short cattle dog thing?). I filmed it, but didn't have time to make a video out of it. It wasn't very nice clicker training. I pushed them because I can and they'll get over it, but I wish I had taught it at the same time as I taught a nose target, because then it would have been easier to shape. After years of nose targeting I didn't have much to work with.

I also got Erik lifting his hind leg higher and holding it for a moment by introducing a raised target. Now I can click the act of him lifting his leg high rather than the step back. Making progress.

Haha I'm teaching Jake Patty Cake. If you saw the little Yorkie video I laughed my head off at that and since its his job to amuse me thought he could give it a go. So far we have left and right claps and the two paw clap which has ended up very enthusiastic. He can't sit on his rear so he jumps up... brace yourself!