What Trick Are You Teaching Your Dog

I know there is a pinned topic above for all things trick, but it hasn't been looked at since February. :laugh: So this is a thread for teaching tricks. You might like to talk about what trick you are working on at the moment, any problems you may be having, what's your method.ie. clicker or luring. Videos are always welcome :thumbsup: And thanks for that Facebook link PAX...I have joined but not everyone is on Facebook, hence the reason for this thread.

Edited by sheena

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have been working on this week in very small sessions using a clicker, small bits of kibble & back chaining, is getting her to spin & walk backwards from the other side of the room to between my legs. She can now do it from about 4 feet away, but just has to get her accuracy right. I had a big break though last night when she offered me the behaviour time & time again just because I was holding her favourite toy :thumbsup: I mix it up a bit with doing old tricks & heeling etc, but my sessions are short.

This week:

With Kaos (who is recovering from a leg injury) I am working on:

* Hold an object (currently using a toilet paper roll :laugh: )

* Put head in a bucket

With my puppy I am working on lots of things:

* Stand on (all 4 feet on) - dog bed, travel plank

* Front feet on - perch (and extending that to perchwork where he moves his hind feet while the front feet stay on perch), small kids chair

* Balance discs - front feet on one balance disc, back feet on another balance disc

* 4 feet in - box

* Through a hoop

* Around a laundry basket

* Under my legs which are raised on a chair

* Walk backwards

I use shaping :)

Edited by Kavik

I have enjoyed immense success in teaching mine to lay on the couch for at least 12 hrs a day. We are now working on 12 to 16 hrs. I have a feeling we will succeed in no time at all!

Last few days I have been concentrating on focus (I am starting at the very beginning here XD) which is mostly using toys rather than food, so more for established behaviours. But also, to keep things interesting for us we do mix it with teaching behaviours for food, today i will work on a pocket/cup hand. I am not sure if "pocket hand" is common terminology, so this you tube clip explains.

Harder with a shorter dog!

Edited by Wobbly

I have enjoyed immense success in teaching mine to lay on the couch for at least 12 hrs a day. We are now working on 12 to 16 hrs. I have a feeling we will succeed in no time at all!

:rofl: Obviously not a border collie then :rofl:

Sheena do you start that trick with luring? I've seen it in lots of DWD videos it looks great!

That's interesting wobbly, is that something you can do in the ring? Are you allowed to touch your dog? (Obedience newbie) or is it something you fade out?

Reggie is learning her contacts this week. We had a breakthrough last night and she is offering a lovely 2o2o position on the end of the plank. The only issue I'm having is weather I need to have her target the ground, for safety reasons perhaps? Currently she will 2o2o and look at me and if I just wait she will put her nose to the ground and then I've been marking/rewarding but I'm wondering if its necessary. Should I keep aiming for that nose target or is a head up 2o2o okay?

Edited by GeorgieB

GeorgieB - I would suggest you always ask for the nose target in training. In a trial, where excitement is high it gives you more room for error - behaviours can break down under pressure so you might lose the nose target but still get 2o/2o if that makes sense!

I was chatting to someone at the agility trial yesterday and my Em learnt a new trick....give aforementioned person AMAZING focus, offer nose touches, spins, heel position and you'll get fed :laugh: Cheeky monkey!

:laugh: Reggie is always milking other people for treats will offer heel positions for them too!

Thanks for the advice TSD definitely makes sense. I'll keep asking for that nose target :)

Edited by GeorgieB

Yes definitely a nose target as well, or with my girl it is now a sort of head bob thing. As SPD says, you may lose the head bod in the ring, but will get the 2o2o.

With the walking back to between my legs, I started by clicking her when she stuck her head between my legs from behind. I didn't use food to lure her, but would have used some sort of hand motion to get her into position to start.

this is the youtube I watched to get the idea. :)

:rofl: Obviously not a border collie then :rofl:

No. How'd you guess?! :rofl:

Guest Clover

Tinny - backwards circle around me. We started off in a corner and I lured her around til she realised what I wanted. She is getting much better at not having to be lured now and get much faster. Rear end awareness work has really helped her.

Harri - I'm not too sure if my mum is working on anything in particular with him at the moment. I need to get her to pick just one thing and work on that for a week not lots of little things. He did a lovely bow the other night at the end of a small routine, he has not been taught to bow :laugh:.

Luna (nearly 2 year old BC x ) - nose/ paw touches which she learnt in 5 mins lol & say your prayers still. I want to get her to the offering the behaviour stage for prayers. But we might start on head down this afternoon.

Old man Elvie - he kind of learnt roll over the previous week, but was a little too over the top whist trying it. I think we will also start on head down this afternoon or maybe even leg weaves.

Last few days I have been concentrating on focus (I am starting at the very beginning here XD) which is mostly using toys rather than food, so more for established behaviours. But also, to keep things interesting for us we do mix it with teaching behaviours for food, today i will work on a pocket/cup hand. I am not sure if "pocket hand" is common terminology, so this you tube clip explains.

Wobbly, how do you do pocket hand with a short dog? Mine a corgis, so too short to really reach their muzzle!

Ooh Cleo I don't know! Mines tall enough I don't have to squat! XD

I am a complete noob at proper dog training so I am not a good one to ask, but I would probably be looking toward maybe a targeting stick to bridge the gap? You'd miss out on the comfort aspect of physical contact, but you'd perhaps still get the the pivot and the movement in and out?

I was recently shown this method (from beginning? of the training. I like the look and it might fix some of my issues.. I'm going to give it a go... who else is going to give this a go? maybe we can try "together" and talk about our progress in a new thread? I'll start a thread now, so reply in that?

I've been trying to get Erik to lift his rear foot, but seem to have hit a roadblock getting him to hold it up. He steps it back real nice after 3 sessions, but that's all. I taught him to hop holding up a front paw in this exact same way, so I'm assuming if I just keep going he will sooner or later start holding the foot up. Otherwise I may need a target. Back feet are harder than front feet.

The big project that will probably take a while yet is getting a backwards figure-8 around Kivi's legs. Erik can do it following a target, and he can do it around my legs, but I don't think he's grasped yet what the pattern is around Kivi's legs.

This week I think I might try in 2-minute sessions to teach him to target his forehead to my hand. Anyone want to try too? Only a 2-minute per day commitment. And you don't have to do it every day. I'm aiming for 5 sessions. I'll video them and post at the end of the week and we can see how far I get. This will be challenging for Erik, I think, who is very nosey. I'll try it with Kivi as well. Fair's fair.

If anybody is interested, Clean Run have Collapsible Target Sticks on free shipping for just $8.95 US

Corvus...I have never tried it, but what if you were to touch his back foot & click & treat as soon as he lifts it. Then progress to keeping your hand there, threatening to touch it, & click to get duration. I know my girl has ticklish feet, so it might work. :)