Younger Dog Not Wanting To Be Close To The Older Dog

giraffez

Just a thought out of left field - is he reacting to something you have done rather than the other dog?

I was thinking the same thing. Mini schnauzers can be very sensitive dogs and can react to things that other dogs wouldn't blink an eye at. For example, one of my mine goes to hide under the bed whenever I turn the footy on TV as she knows there will be some 'reaction' from me at some stage :) A relative's dog 'remembered' the clothes she was wearing when she was upset/yelling one day (not at the dog) and used to run and hide with tail down whenever those clothes reappeared. Of course, it can be less obvious than this and not easy to work out the trigger.

However, even though he seems well, the first thing I would do is a vet check. They are not the most stoic dogs either and even minor complaints can make them out of sorts. A friend's last week was eating/drinking fine, but from time to time just sitting and shivering. A vet check found some arthritis/inflammation (he is 8)and now on medication is a lot happier.

I can understand what a worry this is, so hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Edited by Bindo

Thank you again. I don't think it's anything I did because he is usually more relaxed in my presence. When I go and get him, he would cuddle up to me.

Plus most of the time he is hiding when I'm in my room, sometimes I come out after a few hours to find him disappeared again.

I noticed he got into this behavior after a long walk the other day. He has been on the same walks before but I have been unwell so didn't go on the walks, so that walk was the first after a bit of a break. Previously, he has hidden before but not as extreme as after the walk

I may check his nails when I get home today, may have grown too long. unlikely since I only clipped it 2 weeks ago. Worth a look anyway.

Thanks

Thank you again. I don't think it's anything I did because he is usually more relaxed in my presence. When I go and get him, he would cuddle up to me.

Plus most of the time he is hiding when I'm in my room, sometimes I come out after a few hours to find he has disappeared

I noticed he got into this behavior after a long walk the other day. He has been on the same walks before but I have been unwell so stopped for a while, so that walk was the first after a bit of a break. Previously, he has hidden before (not after walks) but not as extreme as after this walk

I may check his nails when I get home today, may have grown too long. unlikely since I only clipped it 2 weeks ago. Worth a look anyway.

Thanks

Edited by giraffez

Plus most of the time he is hiding when I'm in my room, sometimes I come out after a few hours to find him disappeared again.

Thanks

if you are in your room then you won't be able to see what the older dog is doing to the younger. And it doesn't have to be outright war. Maybe try crating one or the other when you are in your room for a few hours at a time. Or take them with you or give them turns with you.

Bullying is subtle & there are times when a dog is accepted & a time when they now to back off.

Bindo

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

They are not the most stoic dogs either and even minor complaints can make them out of sorts. A friend's last week was eating/drinking fine, but from time to time just sitting and shivering. A vet check found some arthritis/inflammation (he is 8)and now on medication is a lot happier.

The biggest issue with Minis is how Stoic they are (well they should be) They will still eat even at there sickest & are very hardy dogs .Minis are tough little critters that rarely show signs of ilness so its up to owners to look for signs that stand out .

If your concerned see a vet ,Minis can have eye issues & maybe his vision is an issue although it still sounds like the older dog has done something more than once & it knows its safe place .

Minis are normally very social creatures both dog & human so something is setting this dog off