Providing Assistance To Bitch During Whelping

Pockets

Do you provide hands on assistance during the whelping process? My last litter, I provided assistance with removing the pup from the sac, cleaning the mouth of any fluids and quickly and vigorously drying the puppy etc. I did this even though the bitch has no issues with whelping and also cleaning the pups etc, she is a very attentive mother, cleans up everything, removes the cord etc.

I have been watching some whelping videos and seen both people helping their bitches and then people leaving the bitch to do everything themselves.

I would be keen to sit back and let the bitch do what comes naturally to her and only assist if there appears need to do so.

I would love to hear other peoples opinions, do you allow the bitch to do what comes naturally, how long do you allow the bitch to break through the sac etc before intervening or assisting.

I try to follow the advice of the several authors of the breeding/whelping books I have - I only step in with bitches if I observe:

* labouring/pushing for longer than half an hour with no pup being born (feet first, breech, big - I have had all these)

* the bitch not seeming too interested in stimulating the first breath

* signs that the bitch is too gung ho with the umbilical cord or with cleaning the new whelp

That said... I have Toy breed bitches who seem Extremely Determined that I am Very Closely Involved in their whelping process... they all seem to get stressed if I try to encourage them to whelp in their boxes, and so far every litter HAS TO make its entrance into the world in my lap (with me sitting on the floor).

So really, I might as well get in and help, they seem to expect it from me. :o

I love the fact that most Border Collies whelp with no assistance at all. If all is going well you can just watch, note down times/descriptions and move puppies to the side of the box as the next one arrives but other than that leave them to it. Interfering at all can result in bad mothering and all my girls have hated having their babies moved anywhere out of their reach. I give them at least a minute or two to break the sack but most bitches remove it immediately. If they are a bit slow I break the sack and tap the puppy on the nose to get it to take a breath, then let the bitch take over from there. I do not weigh puppies until the bitch is finished and then do it with the scales in the whelping box. I use an oxy shot when the bitch is finished because I have rarely ever seen a placenta. the bitches grab and eat them as they come out so counting them is impossible. Within the first 24 hours we do a vet visit to check all is well and that is the only time that the puppies are taken out of reach of the bitch.

Of course if things go wrong you need to step in. I have only twice had to re-position a stuck puppy and pull it out and only once had a cord that needed to be tied off to stop it bleeding. If the bitch is not getting anywhere after an hour of contractions or she stops for more than 2 hours between puppies, it is off to the vet.

My mini poodles have their litter with me and also my husband a good bit of the time - usually not in the whelping box but on the lounge beside me - have lots of sheets and towles just for this - I never leave my girl when she is delivering - make sure each pup is breathing and the cord severed or cut properly so no bleeding - let her eat some placentas if she wants them - I put the pups as each new pup is coming into a warm towel and heated basket and let each pup when delivered have a go on a nipple - we record the time each born, sex and weigh - only once had a pup born when I was not home it was a single puppy and he was delivered about 5 minutes before we came home - he was fine - but other than that never leave my girls until all pups safely delivered and she is ok and in the whelping box with the brood. I do remove the sack from the pup quite often some first time mums don't seem to know too much about this. Also give a spoon a calcium syrup between pups.

I prefer to let them do as much as possible, but I will always get my hand in there when she is chewing the cord off and pinch the cord right by the pup's tummy "just in case". Never had a hernia or worse; and only once or twice had one bleed too much.

I always hook a finger through the sac if it comes out intact and pull it back off the muzzle, then leave it to the bitch for at least 30 seconds for her to get organised and do what needs to be done. I have found that on the two occasions the bitch whelped either the first one and two pups without anyone there that both bitches were much more protective of the pups for the first day or so, but if there's someone there right from the start I've never had one that wasn't quite happy to accept that these are "our" puppies and all have been perfectly OK with them being touched - not that we mess much with newborn pups anyway.

Certainly up to try manipulating a pup out or applying gentle traction if a fatty bomba is hard work!

Always there but only intervene if it looks needed which is rarely.

Bit phobic about them being in the sack for long once they are born so will rip open to free the head if it doesn't happen in about 30 seconds.

The only thing I find I need to do often is to move the already born pups so they don't get squished when the next one is being born. Can't take them out of the whelping box as the mums hate that when I have tried it.

Mine birth pretty easy & know what to do.

Can't say the same for my cats. One gave birth & ignored the baby, never even glanced at her back end. She was delighted once I had done the cord & cleaned it & given it to her. She did the same with all 6 kittens. She was an excellent mum once I handed her the cleaned up kittens. Left alone I think they may have all stayed where they were in the sack & dead. She is to be desexed soon.

With my last litter, I helped with as most have said getting the sack off from around puppies face and let mum do the rest, also hold the cord to make sure she doesn't chew too short :)

This mother is excellent, she usually has the pup don't and cleaned within about 15-20 seconds :) I just might give it a bit of a quick rub and dry, especially as its winter, but the heater will be pumping to keep them warm :)

I would prefer the bitch do as much as possible and only intervening of assisting if needed, I think it's the first time the mother and pup start to bond :)

Yes I assist. I allow mum to deliver the puppy, present puppy to mum to work on and then take over a little to ensure airways are clear. Then I put baby back with mum to continue cleaning and fussing over. I've always done it this way

I assist too. I catch and clean pups as they come out, and tie off and disinfect cords. As my breed are tall pups can really plumment if mum leaps up in fright with a strong contraction, or births standing up. Likewise I've seen mums be over enthusiastic with cords, not necessarily pulling and herniating but chewing them right off too short and causing bleeding and wounds that are hard to deal with.

It is unusual in my breed for a bitch to have more than one litter in her lifetime so inexperienced mums are more the norm. In big litters it also assists to keep already born pups out of mum's way while she's still labouring as she is much much bigger than them and moving around in labour can easily lead to squashed pups, or distressed mum trying to lie down and avoid them.