Failing Kidney Function

Kavik

Zoe has been diagnosed with failing kidney function :( I've just put her on a special renal diet. Any other experiences with this, how did they cope etc. So far she is still bright, going for walks, chasing a ball etc.

I don't know anything about kidneys but wanted to give you hugs.

If you don't get much response, post in the health bit. Not that many people come into this bit. There was some angst about it a while ago.

I've heard it's getting good results in chronic failure treatment in combination with diet.

After years of somehow escaping kidney issues in my seniors I lost two oldies this year with rapid acute failure so long term treatment was not an option. They both had to be given their wings. :(

Sorry, for browsing readers just pointing out there is chronic (gradual decline) and acute (sudden).

Edited by Powerlegs

Sorry to hear about your girl.

Coco was in late stage kidney failure when diagnosed, but at that time he was still bright and happy. He ate the food ok, but I'm not sure that he enjoyed it as much because the diet is so restrictive. I guess your vet has explained it to you but diet is extremely important for dogs with kidney disease. I've found different vets can have different opinions on what, if anything, can be added to the diet.

Others have had good experiences with chinese herbs improving quality of life, so that may be something else to consider.

Thanks for all the well wishes :)

Zoe has very high food drive so I'm sure she will eat the food fine :)

She also has some dermatitis so we're trying to work that out too - need to bring her in for skin scraping to rule out demodex (she had it as a puppy).

The single treatment with the most impact on chronic kidney disease is dietary modification. It is most easily achieved with the commercial diets but there are recipes for home prepared. The other thing to be conscious of is that dogs (and cats) with kidney disease cannot compensate for fluid loss so it is important to watch any symptoms od illness such as vomiting or diarrhoea carefully.

Just a comment about Fortekor (drug name is benazepril) - it is only indicated in cases of chronic kidney disease where there is a significant level of protein in the urine. This needs to be tested with a urine protein : creatinine ratio rather than a dipstick (though high levels will show up on a dipstick) and a urine culture should also be carried out.

She is going well, she has picked up more since I have changed her diet, quite sprightly, chasing the ball etc. Today she is at the vet getting skin scrapings done to see if they can identify what is causing some dermatitis she has developed.

Well, the good news is that the skin problem is not demodex (what Vet was initially worried it might be), her thyroid is a bit low so we are going to check that out some more to see if that is the issue with her skin. If that is not the problem, I am just dealing with another skin problem dog :laugh: They are so frustrating!

:rofl: god yes, love the mystery skin problems. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of that one.

VetnPet Direct had a special on Essential6 (for dog skin issues), not sure if it's still discounted. If you've never tried it, it smells niiiice. :)