What Food Are Not Good For Dogs?

poppii

Got this from a website somewhere:

Cooked bones, chocolate, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips, potato peelings and green looking potatoes, rhubarb leaves, mouldy/spoiled foods, alcohol, yeast dough, coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine), hops (used in home brewing), tomato leaves & stems (green parts), broccoli (in large amounts), raisins and grapes, tobacco.

Katie

Our family dog only ever got fed farmland dog biscuits and food scraps from cooked bones to alltypes of curryvegies etc and she was as healthy as a newborn pup until old age.

My new pup loves apricots, any bones whether cooked or not grapes, peaches chocolate (carob), whole apples, he is healthy got to cut down portions as he is putting on too much weight though.

Are we sure all this is bad for dogs or just beware of amounts you feed dogs?

Jewl.

Our family dog only ever got fed farmland dog biscuits and food scraps from cooked bones to alltypes of curryvegies etc and she was as healthy as a newborn pup until old age.

My new pup loves apricots, any bones whether cooked or not grapes, peaches chocolate (carob), whole apples, he is healthy got to cut down portions as he is putting on too much weight though.

Are we sure all this is bad for dogs or just beware of amounts you feed dogs?

Jewl.

Yeah I am sure all dogs would LOVE cooked bones... but they are dangerous to dogs as they splinter and can cause perforations of your puppies intestine or stomach (and ultimately death). Cooking bones alters their texture and makes them unsafe to give dogs and cats.

Yes I know that some dogs have been given cooked bones for years without problem.... but most of us just see the risk as being far too high.

Be careful with that new precious pup of yours :(

Will do he only gets raw bones big necks or shanks and he loves them.

Maybe better be careful what fruits I am feeding him too, as he loves his fruit and yoghurt.

Also the milk left over from my breakfast-Never ask men to make a small amount of milk up he made two letres to go over my weet bix.

How thirsty did he think I was????

:)

Jewl.

Guest Ishtar

In Finland garlic is considered to be good for dogs. Funny how believes (or is the plural beliefs? sorry) differ. Union causes anemia, chocolate and xylitol are toxic. What else? Can´t remember anything else right now :) Sugar and wheat can cause yeast infection for example in ears or paws.

When I started my boys on the BARF diet, I was told to keep away from anything in the deadly nightshade group ie onions, capsicum etc. I also try to keep away from having too much starchy vegies ie spuds. When I prepare their food I add almost any vegie (except those above) and fruit. I also add some crushed garlic, apple cider vinegar and some linseed oil. I prepare food for about 3 days so into that container I would add about 1 teaspoon of each of the above for 3 meals for 2 dogs plus I also add minced free-range chicken breast (about 2/3 of 1 breast for the container - cats get the rest :rofl: )

Twice a week the cats and dogs share 2 cans of sardines - usually in oil though if I can't get that then I get them in spring water.

The dogs always have raw chicken bones (carcasses, wings or necks) with their meals and once a weekend they get a lamb's shank each. Mmm Bone paws!!

Hope that helps.

Aili

I know certain foods are not good for dogs, but then there's the foods that are poisonous to dogs, I mean we all occassionally eat foods that are not 'good' for us- no harm in giving an occassional treat I say.

Butterflybob- I was just explaining to my dog yesterday that he couldn't have avacado anymore coz it's bad for him- hopefully he understood :mad

I hear a little bit of garlic is good for dogs, but have also heard that it's bad.

Very funny blacklab, you'll have to take up the drinking and smoking cigars for them :laugh::crazy::rofl:

I have heard that yolks are fine, but whites not so good for pups, but I feed a whole egg about once a week.

In the pre-prepared barf diet there is fruit and I'm pretty sure there is apple. I give mine fruit occassionally (like the watermelon skin and they like to chew it up) but I never feed grapes or raisins.

I've also heard tomatoes are bad, but if I have left overs with tomatoes in it I don't worry as it's not like they eat them all the time. And it's usually only a little bit.

I have large breeds so i guess a little of something bad may not affect them but could be a big dose to a small breed.

I certainly feed eggs, garlic and fruit, including whole apple and tomato.

isnt there something about pizza as well thats bad - cant remember exactly which of the toppings it is.

As for tobacco products, less said the better, one of my cats has always chewed on the butts when he gets the opportunity :mad , but offer him chicken and he turns his nose up.