What Food Are Not Good For Dogs?

poppii

Well back in them olden days our dogs got the scraps off the table....including cooked bones - but never ever chicken bones. Never had problems. Our old dog now still gets the old t-bone to chew on (gums it to death as doesnt have many teeth either).

With the purebreds though - well they get pretty much everything, except cooked bones, grapes, avocado, citrus.

Actually they eat pretty much about anything.....pizza, salad, milk with their cornflakes - heck I think I've even seen one all but swallow a chicken frame whole. Like watching a snake eat a mouse but in fast motion.

:mad

One of my dogs has a habit of getting raw bones stuck in her mouth, so bones are only given when I am around to monitor.

Its amazing how good their hearing is when dinner is over and they can hear the plates scraping.

:laugh:

This is what I know of...onions, chocolate, salt, pork, fat off meat, cooked bones and cat food

Yes cat food, tinned or dry as it contains more salt then dog food and causes digestive problems

You can give dogs starchy foods just not too much....As they say, everything in moderation.

fat off meat? pork??? dont tell my mina that?! I buy her a whole pigs head from the victoria market for $2 and it lasts her days!! I suppose keep the fat in moderation or it can cause an upset tum as its hard to digest raw ... and in the long term it has bad effects on their kidneys, pancreas, liver etc But I still throw mine the odd scrap a couple of times a week. Pork seems to be bad because of its high fat content, quickly going rancid and risk of parasites (hopefully the human grade I buy isnt that bad) and bacon/ham has too much salt and preservatives. Susceptable breeds = bloat. ASPCA Says organ meat can be bad, but I havnt found harm in any of my dogs for the ox heart, or a little bit of liver thrown into the raw mix. Also say all bones are bad but I have never seen an uncut cow leg bone splinter into pieces like chicken. What about whole rabbits?

As for apple seeds they contain arsenic. If they swallow one or two its not going to be an issue. It takes 250ml cup of pure apple seeds eaten in one go to kill a human (someone actually tried it) The kernals of stone fruit are similar, although my grandparents jack russel x manages to munch his way through a handful whilst in the orchard. Nothin wrong there but I wouldnt risk it.

From what I can find on avocados, it seems to be the rest of the plant (especially the leaves and bark) that are the problem. Skin and stone can be toxic too. It seems the flesh can contain some risk if its not left to ripen on the tree, I've found sites that say over ripe flesh is OK (you know too mushy) and others that are hardcore against it. Up to you on that one.

Garlic in small doses (I throw 4 minced cloves into about 4-5 litres doggy stew I make) I assume it could have a bloating effect, or even cause heartburn. Onions are a definate no no, even onion powder (check lists of ingredients, onion powder is in bbq seasoning too) Pizza is bad because some of the base sauce can contain minced onion. That and the dough can cause bloat.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogT...tchenSafety.php

this one seems pretty complete but I think some things are going over the top. Yes I know dogs are becoming more sensitive to things because of human modification (additives, pesticides, plant varieties etc) but there are some things that we could be too worried about. Some things need to be eaten in really large quantities to do any harm.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/pplants.htm

this one has a complete list of plants and some links too

The reason I said fat off meat is that vets now say you should feed your pets like you would yourself...And your not gonna eat a huge chunk of fat....And like humans it can cause heart problems....Animals get their essential fats from a well maintained diet and do not need extra, even if your trying to put weight on them....Also if you think they need more in their diet try Missing Link (see Missing Link post for more).....It is not just for sickly dog but can help even out their diet and help keep them healthy....

Also do not give your pets meat you wouldn't eat yourself.....Believe it or not but stomach upset can kill your pets, especially small dogs....Cronic vomiting can kill and twist their stomachs....I only know this coz our little dog has had problems in the past and the vet gave us the whole lecture on what to feed and what NOT to feed....In fact the vets kids ( 5 & 7 years old) gave us a talking to as well....

I think it is case of learn as you go to what foods your dog won't eat of can't tolerate but if your in doubt of dangerous foods tallk to a vet....They are only too happy to help (well most of them) and if needs be get onto www.haigsleavet.com.au and you can ask them....I know they are only to happy to help and you can also ring them on 5464 4135....God I Just realised I know their number better then I know my own mobile number :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be cautious about vets that say to feed your pets as you would yourself - I am a vet student and something that gets stressed in class is how different their feed requirements etc are and how this is one of the most common mistakes owners make.

Ok I agree....What I was trying to say was that nowdays even humans have strict what and what-nots when it comes to eating that when you have a pet it is best to know what to feed them and just how strict their diet can be. A healthy diet includes some fat but I wouldn't feed to much to a dog as it can cause alot more troble than it's worth (heart problems, diabetes, obesity and other internal problems). I think the best idea is if you are unsure, ring a vet. Most vets are happy to help and at least you'll be getting the best information you can.

Guest Ishtar

There was an article about chocolate poisoning in the latest dogmagazine. An australian cattledog had died after stealing and eating chocolate :thumbsup: So be careful with it