Man Gives Dog Mouth To Snout Breath Of Life

k9angel

A Ballarat man is being hailed a hero after performing an unusual rescue by giving a dog mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Steve Hunter was making a plaster delivery when Salty, a Fox Terrier Jack Russell cross, darted across the road and was hit by an oncoming car.

Mr Hunter carried the stricken dog to the safety of a nature strip where he puckered up and performed 'mouth-to-snout' resuscitation in a bid to revive the animal.

Speaking to the Ballarat Courier after the rescue, Mr Hunter said: "I gave him CPR, did the whole works. "I pulled his jaws apart - and by the way he didn't brush his teeth.

"I pulled them apart, I got as close as I could and I was blowing air in his throat and with one hand giving him CPR on his ribcage.

"I thought 'you've gotta give him half a chance', because you never know."

Mr Hunter's efforts may have saved the lucky five-year-old mutt who came around and began breathing again.

Salty was taken to a veterinary clinic with cuts to the head and a fractured pelvis, and is said to be recovering well.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/newshome/17942282/man-gives-dog-mouth-to-snout-breath-of-life/

What an awesome guy! :thumbsup:

What a wonderful story. So many people these days wouldn't have bothered even stopping their cars, the man deserves a medal. :thumbsup:

What a champion. Loved the comment about the dog's teeth!

Most other drivers wouldn't have even bothered to avoid the dog!!

Glad the dog is ok

Most other drivers wouldn't have even bothered to avoid the dog!!

Tell me about it...

A couple of weeks ago in the rain and dark, I pulled over to try to get 2 loose Dalmatians off a busy road (managed to catch one and keep him safe from the traffic) - other drivers were blaring their horns and scaring the dogs even more, making them do more erratic dashes in and out of the cars. FFS people - 5 lousy minutes was all I needed of relative calm to catch the other dog and stop her holding up the freaking flow! I had to give up because it was impossible to get near her when the cars kept scaring her and making her dash off again. She so wanted to come to me too.

Peak hour is not a good time for a dog to be scared and loose near a busy road... *sigh*

Upside is that both dogs ended up safe - I took the boy to the nearest vet who called his owners to come get him, and they managed to find the girl and get her home a couple of hours later.

I was ready for the inevitable dog meets car scenario too - and the vet clinic was only a 2 minute drive away if I had to get there fast with an injured dog.

T.

Many years ago when I was driving to work on busy Victoria Pde, a car hit a possum, I stopped my car & picked it up & took it to work with me. Fortunately he wasn't badly injured, so I took him home & after a few weeks put him out in my backyard which had lots of gumtrees, the cheeky little bugger used to come to the backdoor for food for ages. :laugh:

many years ago when i lived in sydney i was driving somewhere and saw a dog hit on the road infront of me ( strangely i had driven past a vet clinic a little earlier) stopped in the peak hour no stop lane to help. A police car arrived with occupants ready to chastise me... but when they were told what had happened one directed traffic while the other help me gently move the injured dog into the car. and then stopped traffic while i drove to the vet ( love those guys still) . the vet thought they knew who owned the dog. I left soem money to cover some care just in case and my phone number.

The next day i got a call from the grateful owners..

H