The Down Side Of Dog Parks

emgem

I love our local off-leash parks. We have a great community of responsible dog owners and its wonderful to catch up with the dogs and other owners to talk about the highs and lows of dog ownership. I love meeting the new puppies and watching them grow, but the flip side of that coin is that some of hem also die.

We lost one of our oldies two weeks ago, a lovely GSP, who had had a couple of strokes this year and was finally put to sleep. Then a young dog took a bait in one if the local parks, and finally today I saw another if our oldies really struggling to get around. He had a horrible bunny hop and the owner told me he has an appointment at the vets for the end of the week. The owner also told me this was likely to be his last dog. Maybe I'm a sap, but the whole thing makes me but weepy.

I've met so many wonderful people through our dog park, and confide more in them than a lot of people I know in my daily life. It's nice though, there are a lot of dogs there now that are around the same age, lots of whom went to puppy school together and play so well together. And a set of older dogs owned by people who have been living in the area for a long time. Recently a woman at my park had two heart attacks, and another dog park person is looking after her dog while she is in hospital - there is also a man who is in and out of hospital, and a bunch of people are there to make sure that his dog is looked after.

Once when my sister was looking after my dog Maggie, she took her to the park and a whole bunch of park goers converged on her thinking she'd stolen Maggie! It's nice to know that if Maggie DID end up being stolen, there are hundreds of people who know her and would wrench her back for me! :laugh:

Some of the owners still fondly talk about dogs they used to know 10, even 20 years ago - I think it's lovely that there is a community of people who all know, love and remember dogs that passed so long ago :)

Talking to other doggy people and the interest they take in your own pets - can be very comforting, it's nearly family. Sad about the loss of their beloved friends. :( We twice lost two of our companions in one year, devastating - the silence.

I saw another if our oldies really struggling to get around. He had a horrible bunny hop and the owner told me he has an appointment at the vets for the end of the week. The owner also told me this was likely to be his last dog. Maybe I'm a sap, but the whole thing makes me but weepy.

This is so sad. It's always heartbreaking when a person decides the dog they're about to give their wings to will be their last.

It's a snapshot of life isn't it. I've often talked to my real life dog park friends about this too. And it's not just the dogs, I think about the people I've known from the park who've grown old, got sick and died. One day someone might mention me, remember the crazy woman with all those whippets?

Being on the other side is lovely too, mum lost our English Setter a few months back and the local park regulars where he'd been going since a 4 month old pup were lovely noticing his absence.

I agree, it's hard when any go. It's like a big extended family.

I saw another if our oldies really struggling to get around. He had a horrible bunny hop and the owner told me he has an appointment at the vets for the end of the week. The owner also told me this was likely to be his last dog. Maybe I'm a sap, but the whole thing makes me but weepy.

This is so sad. It's always heartbreaking when a person decides the dog they're about to give their wings to will be their last.

It does make it extra sad. He's a lovely man and a dedicated owner. I guess he just isn't sure that he will be able to remain active enough to meet the needs of a new dogs. My Mum feels the same. Her BC is almost 13. I would guess she has another year or two at best and she will likely be my Mums last dog. I think Mum will get a cat - one my cousin will hand rear specially, which makes them more people focused - and she will still have her grandogs but it won't be the same.

He sounds like the perfect owner for a senior dog! There's no reason why a 'new dog' needs to be a puppy, there are plenty of older and old dogs in rescue who would be perfect for a home with an older person and a lap to cuddle up on. :thumbsup:

Edited by Alkhe

He sounds like the perfect owner for a senior dog! There's no reason why a 'new dog' needs to be a puppy, there are plenty of older and old dogs in rescue who would be perfect for a home with an older person and a lap to cuddle up on. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yes, this is a brilliant idea. Emgem this might be worth mentioning :)

We have an old chap in our area with a black Lab......I remember he was a puppy in 2000 and his owner was still working.......the dog would be 13 and the owner 70+....as a young dog he walked him rain hail or shine used to walk him every night in the rain....owner wears a black rain coat.......the other night I saw the old chap and his dog in the rain, black raincoat, dog is quite slow now very greyed muzzle the owner still looks quite fit for his age......this pair have been pounding the pavement every night without fail for 13 years......I wonder what the old chap will do at his friend's departure :cry:

We have an old chap in our area with a black Lab......I remember he was a puppy in 2000 and his owner was still working.......the dog would be 13 and the owner 70+....as a young dog he walked him rain hail or shine used to walk him every night in the rain....owner wears a black rain coat.......the other night I saw the old chap and his dog in the rain, black raincoat, dog is quite slow now very greyed muzzle the owner still looks quite fit for his age......this pair have been pounding the pavement every night without fail for 13 years......I wonder what the old chap will do at his friend's departure :cry:

We had an older gentleman in our neighborhood who did the same - walked his Goldie rain, hail or shine (for years). One day I saw him walking on his own, I'm guessing his Goldie had died as I didn't see him in his yard either. That was a few years ago and now the gentleman always walks on his own ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We have a few regulars like that too. There's a nearly 18 year old mini foxie cross who just keeps plodding along and we all dread the day his owner comes with the sad news of his passing. A couple of times he's turned up without the dog and my heart stops, until it's explained he sneaked out without the old boy as he was asleep. :o

There's another who's currently 19 but we only see her occasionally too; she's deaf and blind and suffering doggie dementia. :(

On the flip side we have an old man who's just shared his 80th birthday with the park regulars last Christmas. He owns a gorgeous 6 year old mastiff cross which he, rain, or shine brings to the park twice daily. His love and devotion to the rescue boy is totally awe-inspiring!!

It can also be really frightening - I don't really know where most people at the park actually live, beyond the general direction they arrive from. So when someone's dog dies or is very sick and going to die or be put to sleep, I really worry about some of their owners. I heard that one woman's beloved dog has had a cancer diagnosis and will have to be put to sleep very soon - I have no idea where she lives, and I really hope somebody does, because she is on her own apart from the dog. :cry: I know so much about her, yet not that basic detail..

It can also be really frightening - I don't really know where most people at the park actually live, beyond the general direction they arrive from. So when someone's dog dies or is very sick and going to die or be put to sleep, I really worry about some of their owners. I heard that one woman's beloved dog has had a cancer diagnosis and will have to be put to sleep very soon - I have no idea where she lives, and I really hope somebody does, because she is on her own apart from the dog. :cry: I know so much about her, yet not that basic detail..

this is so sad. I hope you get to see her soon and have the chance to get some details so you can keep in touch.

I've become friends with an old man from the park. We met when Penny was a puppy and she's 14 now. My elderly friend is now 92 but when he was a bit younger we used to go gold panning together, we even camped out for 2 nights about 1 1/2years ago.

I take him to hospital or doctors when he needs to go and I look after his dog when he's in hospital.

He's had an amazing life with so many adventures, I love listening to his stories, and he's got a memory like an elephant! It's an unlikely friendship I suppose, and it never would have happened if not for walking our dogs at the local off leash park.

I know that he wont be around for all that much longer, and I will miss him terribly when he's gone, but I have to tell myself the good's outweighed the bad. It's the price of friendship isn't it, whether it be human or animal.

Oh, absolutely - there's an older Italian woman at my park with a Min Pin who I share books with. She once lent me a vampire erotica novel - 'it's great, so much sex! And vampires!'. I was like.. Lorenza! You never cease to amaze me! :rofl:

And another man who used to own my favourite bookshop, which is a bit of an institution on Brunswick St, Fitzroy.

Very, very unlikely friendships indeed! I actually wrote about some of them in a submission I sent to our council about their parks plan, which had some of us fearing that our beloved park would lose its off-leash designation :(