Teething Toy Recommendations?

Steph M

My husband picked up an antler on his way home, and Nixon absolutely loves it! Even more than the bone I gave him this morning. Not sure it will last months though, it already has big grooves in it. In terms of teething it was very successful! He's just lost his first big back tooth!! It tumbled on to the lounge room floor in front of our very eyes about half an hour ago :) Gross!

He lost another big back tooth after I posted the above comment last night too! Poor baby. teething sux.

Also, I had a look on ebay and you can get antlers on there a fair bit cheaper than at petstock. Nixon's measly piece was $17?!!! Can get 3 for $30 on ebay.

Edited by aliwake

Yeah Nixon has constantly had bones, but we're getting a bit sick of meaty bone breath, so if the antlers can improve that then they're a great option. I wasn't expecting him to like it so much given the lack of fresh meat, but he went completely batty for it :)

Yeah, we have heaps of bones. Was looking for something a bit longer lasting and that can be inside ideally. Not much of a fan of spitty bones on the rug, haha.

Bought an antler, should be here tomorrow but any other suggestions welcome!

is there any downside to antlers? how come dogs like them so much? I would have assumed they taste like nothing?

I've heard antlers can break teeth so make sure your pup doesn't chew on it aggressively. I think they like antlers for the marrow inside it, similar to bone marrow. I bought my pup one with the marrow exposed and he's eaten a bit of the marrow. Did give him some constipation at first but now he's fine :)

Good to know, thanks oatmilk. Nixon broke several of his baby canines, so will keep a close eye on him with the antler. So far he seems to have scooped out some of the marrow, but generally seems less excited about chewing on it than he did when he first got it - unlike a normal marrow bone where the excitement continues for days! :)

Unless he was so manic the other day cos his big back teeth were trying to come out. Possible...