How Much Exercise Is Too Much?

Hi All,

I have an English Staffy that is around 1 year 3 months old.

As I'm pretty active she comes with me for a run/walk twice a day before and after work. The distance we go is around 3.5 kilometers; so around 7k's a day.

We stop half way and i throw the ball for her off the lead at the park.

She spends the rest of the day sleeping with us on the couch and seems happy (No limping or signs she is sore).

My main question is does anyone think this is too much? I'm worried it may affect her later in life.

Any information would be great.

Thank you

Edited by Frankie the Staffy

I dont think so. Staffies are active dogs, as long as she's not overweight and she is sound it's probably exactly what she needs.

I used to be amazed at just how far my whippets could go when I'd take them out while I rode my mare. I might do a 30k ride, but the whippets probably did at least double that with all the running back and forth and exploring they did. They used to be very tired by the end of the day, but they loved it.

Honestly, I think it depends on the dog.

My current boy would love that exercise regime but my old stafford was a lounge lizard and would have been horrified.

Ollie (old lad), even as a younger dog, used to like his walks, have a bit of a run after a ball and then a walk home.

Ziggy (current lad) will run and run until he lays down.. Then get back up again.

When we were fit I use to go for one 3km walk with the dog when she was 12-13 yo BUT if we had a break for ome reason (ie illness or horrid weather) always started over a shorter trip and worked back up to the 'big' walk.

The young dog the only thig that's worn him out since we got him 11 months back was going to a horse event which pretty much fried his brain - but he was a tired dog no longer charging around that evening. But didn't have an issue back in summer when we went up and down the promenade walkway along the beach which im told is an easy 5km walk. Killed me I couldn't move for the rest of the day but he was fine.

The most critical stage for exercise is before the plates close, usually before 7 months. Gradual increase of exercise thereafter is generally beneficial.All the researcher result I've seen say that quality of exercise is more important than quantity. Twists and turns at high velocity can be damaging. Lots of running on pavement can be bad. Straight moderate walking on soft surfaces can do little harm. So...where possible run on grass or sand, and be aware that playing ball may be more of a hazard than walking/running.

For me anything less than 2 hours of exercise a day seems like not enough. We probably do around 7-10 km's a day if I just take the dog for walks (excluding off lead time) and about half of that if there's other kind of exercise included in the day (weight pulling, flirt/spring pole etc.).

Staffies are very athletic little dogs, a lot of people think they can't handle long distances but pfft, even a chihuahua should be able to clear 10 km's if properly conditioned to it.

Edit: You never mentioned the surface you run on. I'd be concerned if it was asphalt/concrete. That is bad for joints.

Edited by Hockz