Afghan X Pharaoh Needing Rescue Group Assistance

Dear Roy is an Afghan x Pharaoh hound. A puppy farmer in Sydney bred a couple of these litters a few years ago before her breeding stock was rescued.

Roy was a cherished indoor pet and is a gentle and sensitive soul. Not nervous but just quiet. But his owners went through a separation and he started being left for increasing times in the backyard. The first time he escaped and found his way to Blacktown pound he was claimed. The next time it happened he was surrendered. :(

AWL stepped in and rescued him from the pound. He has been with them since - which is now a long time. He has always struggled in the shelter environment, suffering contact dermatitis on his feet and now developing some reactivity towards other dogs. Which frankly don't find surprising at all considering his breed and environment. My hounds don't generally like non-sighthounds getting in their physical space at all, I'd say he's done remarkably well so far!

This has now resulted in him being re-assessed, withdrawn from adoption and very much on borrowed time.

He is available to rescue only... If anyone can think of anything at short notice please let me know. He deserves a chance. :( I could possibly temp care him but would need a rescue group to step in and deal with AWL. Longer term foster would be perfect, as I don't doubt a few months of being a housepet again is exactly what he would need.

221529_702a9_340x340_zps4d64bbe1.jpg221529_bdf5c_900x900_zps54bc9dd1.jpg

Edited by Alyosha

He's in foster with two litter brothers (these guys are pretty special aren't they Plan B - definite heart stealers!). And no doubt back on a couch where he belongs... :thumbsup: He'll no doubt need some unwind time after struggling in shelters now for (I think) about 12 months or more.

But after that he will likely be looking for a permanent couch to call his own, so if anyone comes across a potential home... :provoke:

I'm still grinning about him being out of a shelter! :D Not that he hasn't had the best care, it just seemed to not be an environment he could cope with.

Doubt it. Likely still busy breeding smaller dogs and selling through pet shops or gumtree. The smaller dogs were the core business I think. :(

It's very telling indeed that this first litter was sold through Pets Paradise and have bounced around in rescue. The second litter were rescued as babies and raised by great foster carers, placed carefully and appropriately and have stayed put.

He's in foster with two litter brothers (these guys are pretty special aren't they Plan B - definite heart stealers!).

That's an understatement! As someone who had had extremely little experience with sighthounds, I'm a complete convert... although I recognise I'm likely not the right owner/environment for one full-time. But oh how I loved those pups and their weird, gangly limbs.

He'll no doubt need some unwind time after struggling in shelters now for (I think) about 12 months or more.

Such a long time. :(

Glad he's out now. Looking forward to seeing his life get better and better.

He's just beautiful. He's got a 'wise old soul' look in his eyes. Is that a sighthound thing? I love that about the greyhounds next door... you can feel peace by just looking into their eyes.

I'm glad he's safe in care now... & with true friends.

It is a bit Mita. Although this boy's father (the Afghan) had such an amazing aura of old soul-ness about him when he came to rescue that it blew me away. He has his dad's eyes... Although his mum was an amazingly sweet and gentle girl too. She had all who met her fall in love at first sight. :)

Plan B there's nothing quite like awkward knuckly sighthound puppy legs is there?? They are such gawky cute babies.