Drontal

OK

I am thinking maybe I a missing something! ;)

The drontal on vet n pet direct says 10k or 35 kg

how does that work?

do you have to give half tablets or portions? or do you just give the 10kg until they get to 35 kg?

I have bought interceptor but not wishing to heartworm EVERY month, so was going to use drontal every month except the 3rd mth, then interceptor (once every 3 mths)

Edited by fluff1234

The 10 kg tablets treat 10kg per tablet/chew. The 35 kg tablets treat 20 up to 35 kg per tablet/ chew.

So for example my 27 kg BCx and my 21.5kg kelpie each get 1 35kg chew. My 16 kg BC gets 2 10 kg chews and my 7.5kg terrier x gets 1 10kg chew.

The chews have fairly large safety margins so it is hard to over dose until you give WAY to much.

Your dog would definitely be fine with 1 1/2 10 kg chews.

I personally wouldn't give 1/2 a 35 kg chew. Maybe when heavier.....

Hi fluff1234,

The Drontal 35kg tablets are perfectly safe to half and are scored to facilitate halving them. As has already been mentioned they have a high safety margin but given you've estimated his bodyweight at 11.5kg I would be inclined to wait until he tops 15kg before giving half a 35kg and just do as you've planned with the 1.5 10kg tab for now.

The chews should not be halved or portioned anytime.

:)

Hi its the chews I was going to buy?

the supplier only sells the tablets for small or medium dogs..

Hi fluff1234,

The Drontal 35kg tablets are perfectly safe to half and are scored to facilitate halving them. As has already been mentioned they have a high safety margin but given you've estimated his bodyweight at 11.5kg I would be inclined to wait until he tops 15kg before giving half a 35kg and just do as you've planned with the 1.5 10kg tab for now.

Edited by fluff1234

I have bought interceptor but not wishing to heartworm EVERY month, so was going to use drontal every month except the 3rd mth, then interceptor (once every 3 mths)

you need to give heartworm preventative more then every 3 months. I do my dogs every 6 weeks from April through to October then monthly.

Thanks. I read a report saying that it takes 3 mths to grow and would kill it anytime in that 3 mths, so monthly is overkill? will look into it more :)

This is what I was reading, not sure how accurate though... will ask the vet :)

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

you need to give heartworm preventative more then every 3 months. I do my dogs every 6 weeks from April through to October then monthly.

Hi its the chews I was going to buy?

the supplier only sells the tablets for small or medium dogs..

Hi fluff1234,

The packaging for the chews recommends dosing to the nearest half chew. Quoted from the packaging " 1 chew for every 10kg of body weight. round off doses to the nearest half chew above."

Also off packaging (for 10kg chews)

Dosage rate:

3.1 to 5 kg- half chew

5.1 to 10 kg- 1 chew

10.1 to 15 kg- 1 1/2 chews

15.1 to 20 kg- 2 chews

I have followed these instructions and have never had a problem.

In regards to heartworm, all the heartworm products I have ever seen are either daily, weekly or monthly. We dont have heartworm in my area so i havent really researched it thoroughly. You can get also get the yearly injection from a vet.

Thanks. I read a report saying that it takes 3 mths to grow and would kill it anytime in that 3 mths, so monthly is overkill? will look into it more :)

This is what I was reading, not sure how accurate though... will ask the vet :)

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com.au/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

You are basing your actions on an American blog???? You really need to sort this out with your vet.

Edited by Rebanne

You don't need to worm every month, it might work out cheaper to use Heartguard or Valuheart monthly and you could use the interceptor on the third month to cover your worms as well or use a seperate drontal tablet every third month.

ETA: Unless your dog is a Collie and that is why you are using interceptor?

Edited by kelpiecuddles

No, they said check with the vet.

The vet says interceptor is the best.

Just checking as don't want to over dose .

I would rather use the safe heart wormer even though he isn't a collie as I read article breeds should also avoid it, cannot remember where I read it though, been reading lots of info :)

Did your breeder give you an info sheet on what they recommended? smile.gif

It was recommended by the vet.

He is a artic breed.

You don't need to worm every month, it might work out cheaper to use Heartguard or Valuheart monthly and you could use the interceptor on the third month to cover your worms as well or use a seperate drontal tablet every third month.

ETA: Unless your dog is a Collie and that is why you are using interceptor?

I would suggest doing your own research, asking questions of independent people(like you are doing here) and making your mind up off that. Interceptor is good but so are others, I used to work at a vet and also and pet shops and the drug and dog food companies do provide plenty of perks for vets to recommend their products. Do some research and choose the product that suits your needs. :)