Reoccuring Bloat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update

we have been on homecooked minced chicken frames and vegies for a week and I think im noticing a slight improvement.

she is managing 2.5kgs of this split over the day but she is still hungry so im trying to increase it but normally. Im hoping once she has put some weight back on she wont be as ravenous. Im also noticing her gas now stinks but I think that maybe just her body getting used to the change in diet.

So hopefully this is working.

Thank you all for your advice and keep your fingers crossed that this could be the answer.

I wouldn't cook anything with bones in it as it makes the bone indigestible. Don't worry about the bacteria - dogs are more than capable of dealing with it. I've been feeding raw to my dogs for years, including a Newf, without any problems, as have many others. I hope you can find a solution as it must be so worrying. Maybe try an animal naturopath. I'm feeding Natural Animal Solutions products to my Newf and when I told Jacqueline that I couldn't feed her the amount of oil they recommended as it would give her the runs, she put her on practitioner strength probiotics and stomach enzymes and that fixed the problem. Maybe they might help your girl digest her food better.

Agree with perfect partners, if you cook the chicken frames, you harden the bones, which could splinter and do lots of internal damage. Also, dogs' digestions are made to deal with quite a bit of bacteria. Give it to her raw

I said the wrong thing before. When I said 'gastroplexy" - I meant, did you have her stomach stitched so it couln't twist?

Ok again the frames are minced there are no sharp pieces in it. Also yes most dogs can cope with bacteria but she can't :( I am going to start trying her on a grain free dry food soon as I'm not liking how hard her stools are and she is still starving although she is eating 3kgs a day mince , veggies, eggs and sardines

Ok again the frames are minced there are no sharp pieces in it. Also yes most dogs can cope with bacteria but she can't :( I am going to start trying her on a grain free dry food soon as I'm not liking how hard her stools are and she is still starving although she is eating 3kgs a day mince , veggies, eggs and sardines

It's not only sharp pieces, undigested bone can also block the intestines.

It sounds like she's not digesting/absorbing her food properly. Have you tried a practitioner strength probiotic rather than over the counter ones?

Edited by perfect partners

I know this sounds strange and I'm not even sure I believe it myself but I guess anything is worth a go...there was an American Vet who made the comment that every bloat case he had seen - the dog need chiropractic manipulation in a specific area (that area I can't remember though!) - could it be worth it just to have the dog see a Chiro and then if it doesn't do anything then you've not lost much money.

Have you tried feeding her from an elevated position or hand feeding her? There's some thought that feeding a dog with it's head lower than the stomach allows the build up of air and other gases as it eats. With the head elevated air is less likely to get trapped in the oesophagus and then pushed on down into the stomach with each mouthful of food.

It's also a good idea to elevate the water bowl if possible as well. This is to help prevent air from being swallowed as the dog drinks. Care needs to be be taken when elevating water so that just the right height is obtained otherwise it's possible that some water may slide into the windpipe. Waterbowls are good at about elbow height.

I presume that you dont allow her to exercise, get excited or drink lots of water within 45 minutes either side of eating.

You have mentioned that she has had some constipation.

Perhaps she has a problem withgastric motility and insufficient movement in her bowels (poor peristalsis) which is allowing food and gas to remain in her stomach for longer than necessary. There are some accupressure points that can stimulate peristalsis and get the food and gas moving along the line and out of the stomach.

This article is a good one and I have used the accupressure point described to "degas" a dog in my care several times.

As it says, this is not intended as an alternative to veterinary treatment when it's necessary but as an aid to attempting to reduce the pressure. If she's had a gastropexy her stomach wont be able to flip over and cause the life threatening issues that often happen when dogs bloat.

http://www.stbernardhealth.co.uk/acupressurebloatpoints.htm

Edit for spelling !!!

Edited by Wundahoo