Nosework And Rally

Kavik

Kaos is 7 1/2 now :eek: I'm hoping to be able to do another year or so of agility with him (would really like to get his JDM). I'm trying to decide what to try with him once I retire him from agility. So far I am thinking of Nosework or Rally.

Nosework looks really awesome in that it is so much about motivating them and looks like the dogs have a ball! I have an idea of what is involved (did a scent detection course in 2003) but have not gotten a dog up to decent standards in it before. At the moment it is pretty new and not ANKC recognised. I would probably prefer to do a recognised sport, see if I can get to a competition level with him. Hopefully have it recognised soon.

Rally looks (to me) to be more interesting than traditional obedience. I like that you can talk to the dog. They also look to have some interesting exercises. While our obedience isn't yet precise enough to compete in an obedience discipline (since you don't need that kind of precision obedience for agility) I think we could polish it up and teach the new exercises that Kaos doesn't yet know.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Both :laugh:

My semi-retired 11 year old agility dog is now doing Rally and a few months ago we started Tracking :thumbsup: I am not entirely familiar with Nosework, but I think it would be less physically taxing on a dog than Tracking? So might be an even better option? I find Rally much more interesting than obedience and even though my dog does have obedience trialing background, I think a dog with a fair amount of basic pet training, which is most agility dogs, could go into Rally quite easily. The added bonus for the agility people is that we're used to reading and walking courses :)

Walking a Rally course sounds like it would be interesting!

Nosework is basically scent detection. I'm not sure what trialling in Nosework entails (it is a recognised sport in the USA) so not sure how physically taxing it is. I know they have to search different rooms, luggage etc. Looks like lots of fun!

Walking a Rally course sounds like it would be interesting!

Nosework is basically scent detection. I'm not sure what trialling in Nosework entails (it is a recognised sport in the USA) so not sure how physically taxing it is. I know they have to search different rooms, luggage etc. Looks like lots of fun!

Do both, you may not reach great heights with either but learning is as much fun as doing, or it should be!!

My feral agility girl Kirra highly recommends Rally - she has done pretty well for a girl who doesn't believe in obedience - still has 3 double Qs to go to get RAE - but she's having a blast doing it. Agility people definitely have an advantage when it comes to course walking in Rally, and the teamwork involved is a nice fit with agility. The way things are at the moment, you don't have to be too precise to pass, but you can work for perfection if you want to.

i don't think Kirra would have the patience for Nosework - but she loves tracking - it is time consuming though, and more demanding physically on the dogs - and harder for someone with a little person in tow.

They are looking at making nosework an official sport, but I don't believe it will be within the ANKC. I trainer at the Castle Hill (?) obedience club teaches it and is an accredited trainer I believe. Staff & Toller should have her details as she organised the course here in Melbourne.

There are disabled and highly reactive dogs doing the sport safely in the US. We saw a video of a dog with a wheelchair competing who won a competition, so it really is a sport for every dog.

Thanks for the replies!

I think Kaos would like both, though precision in obedience is not our strong point :laugh: mostly because he is not as keen on close work. But his focus while walking leads me to believe we could get decent heeling. Fronts could be a challenge :laugh: Diesel is the only one of my dogs with a nice close front.

megan - do you know why they aren't looking at ANKC recognition? I would have thought that they would want that. Flyball is the only really successful sport with titles that is not through ANKC.

Thanks for the replies!

I think Kaos would like both, though precision in obedience is not our strong point :laugh: mostly because he is not as keen on close work. But his focus while walking leads me to believe we could get decent heeling. Fronts could be a challenge :laugh: Diesel is the only one of my dogs with a nice close front.

megan - do you know why they aren't looking at ANKC recognition? I would have thought that they would want that. Flyball is the only really successful sport with titles that is not through ANKC.

I believe it will come here under licence like Flyball, NADAC Agility and the like so will not be ANKC recognised, or not for a long time and not until issues like insurance can be resolved, which is why the ANKC recognition of Flyball broke down Even Rally came under licence for the first five years, the only alterations were conversion to metrics and some places which conflicted with an ANKC Regs, but Rally came from a kennel control, so if there were Nosework rules recognised by an overseas control with whom we have recognition, it could come here via ANKC, doubt if I will see it LOL

I'm sure Kaos would love to do both :)

Elbie and Hoover will keep doing agility and Dodge will keep attending obedience classes, but (as you will have seen from my FB haha) I'm trying to set up nose work classes here in Canberra and will be bringing Hoover and Dodge to those classes to start off with to see how they go. Rally-O has never interested me much because it seems like a modified version of obedience which is of course useful to do but isn't particularly interesting to my dogs (or me) the way other activities are. I mean they enjoy obedience, but they don't love it the way they do agility. I'm almost positive that they'll love nose work! We don't trial in anything though - everything's just for fun.

Edited by koalathebear