Oh No! Dog Saliva Allergy!

mixeduppup

Go to your dog & have a blood test. Its a simple thing, results back in about 5 days & it will tell the severity of the allergy & any others.

Then you can take it from there.

As a cat breeder I was horrified to develop a bad cat allergy out of the blue about 5 years ago. A few changes, some steroids for a month & it settled to manageable.

Not bad at all now I never get those enormous 4 inch welts anymore.

It was the last allergy I ever imagined I would get or have.

Allergies can also fluctuate & come & go according to the state of your immune system so it may not be forever.

MUP you have been ill and in hospital so your immune system is taxed atm ;that may contribute to the reaction.Don't let dogs lick you if you can.All my dogs were taught not to lick .If you are patting a dog and he tries to lick you say Ahh no! and stop patting they will soon get the idea .

I get the same thing, I first figured it out when my parents Kelpie would sneak a lick on my chin when he was on the back of the ATV and I would come up in lumps soon after.

Again like most people have suggested look at a preventative antihistamine (Rinocort or Beconase)

Also I've noticed that my hands are not affected so if a licking dog it coming your way put your hand out and they'll be able to lick that all they like, but if they get the forearm then make sure that area is washed asap.

As you can see it's not the end of the world, many people with dogs suffer the same thing and manage it just fine with a few changes :)

I survive with our 2 by using rinocort and seretide (asthma preventative) every morning but I still need to wash my hands and arms after cuddle time and come up with the occasional bumps that go away fairly quickly.

I am another with allergies to dog saliva.

I didn't put two and two together til I was in my 40s, LOL. Mine is not overly severe, just a nasty eczema break out, but it is extremely itchy and I can rip myself apart in my sleep if I am not careful.

My most sensitive areas are where the dogs always seem to lick easily when you cuddle... neck and inside of lower arms.

My dogs are taught to not lick and if they get me, I rinse within 30 seconds under running water and it is usually fine. If I have no water on hand, I use my own saliva to dilute it, all good.

But yes, a real PITA at times, but much better now I know and can manage it. :)

Added, I am not allergic to puppies til they reach about 4-5 months. And much more allergic to older dogs. I am convinced it is acidic levels in the saliva that get me going.

Interesting thought about the acidic levels of the saliva Dyzney...

My husband has a few allergies (mainly hayfever) and used to be allergic to Bruno's saliva in the first year that we had him. He would break out in hives/ eczema if Bruno's saliva touched his skin (Bruno isn't even a licky dog, but he only had to brush against my husband's arm to cause a reaction).

Something has changed though, as my husband is no longer allergic to Bruno. The only thing I can attribute it to is that Bruno's diet is very different now to how it used to be. Bruno used to eat commercially available food, but has been on raw elimination diets for a long time now. I'm not preaching raw diets here by the way, rather that we have had to change Bruno's diet due to his own health issues. I do wonder whether a changed saliva PH/ composition is a spin-off of that? Of course, it could be totally unrelated. :laugh:

I just thought it was interesting that you mentioned it Dyzney as I've pondered it myself...

Something has changed though, as my husband is no longer allergic to Bruno. The only thing I can attribute it to is that Bruno's diet is very different now to how it used to be. Bruno used to eat commercially available food, but has been on raw elimination diets for a long time now. I'm not preaching raw diets here by the way, rather that we have had to change Bruno's diet due to his own health issues. I do wonder whether a changed saliva PH/ composition is a spin-off of that? Of course, it could be totally unrelated. :laugh:

I just thought it was interesting that you mentioned it Dyzney as I've pondered it myself...

I suppose this is possible, but I also think you become gradually desensitised to your own dogs over time. It sounds like the OP comes into contact with a lot of different dogs though, which makes it hard.

I have never had a problem until we got Jager. He is a very licky dog and even though I have trained him out of licking me (my boyfriend likes to be licked), sometimes he forgets and i just make sure that i wash my arms straight away or else i just get so itchy and it drives me nuts. But if i wash straight away then i am fine.