Dog Enclosure Boredom Buster?

Beckybecbec

Hi there :)

Im building a 2.4mx4.8m dog enclosure for our SBT and mini schnauzer to enjoy in the summer while my partner and I are at work.

Im trying to think of an activity or something to keep them amused during the day that hopefully wont start any fights. The only thing I thought of was maybe a sand pit but I dont really want to encourage digging.

Sure a pool for the hotter days...

Naturally I have sourced a pretty spunky kennel for them am getting a custom made shade cloth for the top. I work for a computer retailer so I have even organised network cameras to log in to with my smartphone and tablet to keep watch on the yard and the enclosure. Customers already know and love my "Kitchen Cam" and regularly ask how the pups are :D

Any other ideas?

Thanx

Hi there :)

Im building a 2.4mx4.8m dog enclosure for our SBT and mini schnauzer to enjoy in the summer while my partner and I are at work.

Im trying to think of an activity or something to keep them amused during the day that hopefully wont start any fights. The only thing I thought of was maybe a sand pit but I dont really want to encourage digging.

Sure a pool for the hotter days...

Naturally I have sourced a pretty spunky kennel for them am getting a custom made shade cloth for the top. I work for a computer retailer so I have even organised network cameras to log in to with my smartphone and tablet to keep watch on the yard and the enclosure. Customers already know and love my "Kitchen Cam" and regularly ask how the pups are :D

Any other ideas?

Thanx

Sounding good, but is there something they usually fight over?

Why can't they have the whole yard? And you need 2 kennels. My 2 dogs have 7 different kennels to choose from. (I've had up to 4 dogs). I do separate my dogs when I am at work but that's because of the extreme playing and the soreness my older girl gets afterwards. I divided the whole backyard for them.

If your dogs fight now over food they will find something else to fight over when confined in such a small space day in day out. I'd consider that size for one only

I would also be concerned if they have already found something to fight over and will be confined together. They can start quibbling over where to sleep be it a patch of dirt or a bed or kennel.

Can you make it two runs?

Then they can see each other but can have bones or treat balls etc etc.

I leave my whippets together but have a large grass yard attached to the runs, two dog runs, each with a crate and two beds.

Hmm... decisions decisions. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Currently they are separated half a day by a 2m opening. One in the kitchen and one in an adjoining room. I go home in my lunchbreak to put them together. I monitor them on puppy cam and see them wrestle for 30min or so then sleep lying generally on each other or separate beds

They have a treatball each. SBT empties hers in a flash. MS hasn't figured it out and prefers a log to toss about.

The dog enclosure is only a 4-5hr daytime solution. 3-4 days a week. Max. I won't let them have our entire yard at the moment until much older. Not while they're adventurous, dependent, determined, cheeky little pups. Plus this is a cheaper solution rather than approaching 4 neighbours to replace our sh1t fences. Weekends and my days off they quite happily spend all day outside. Playing and laying.

Fill 2 litre icecream containers with a few treats and blobs of mince, fill it with water and freeze it. Should take them a while and keep them cool. Its worthwhile freezing it bit by bit so the treats arent all at the bottom.