Obedience Club Has Agreed To Titre Testing

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm so excited... My local obedience club just phoned me and they have agreed to accept my Pug with a titre test! Yay! I'm so looking forward to doing obedience and agility with him!

He should be okay with the C3 vaccination because he had that two years ago and it isn't due for another year. But I'm worried about the Bordetella vaccination because my vet said it doesn't last as long as the others.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the results of the test.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I accept titre testing as well as I know a lot of people are moving away from yearly vaccinations in favour of the 3 year scheme. As long as you can provide me with some viable medical paperwork I will accept the dog at the school :)

Sadly, titre testing is not adequate for my local boarding kennels where I put my dogs from time to time.

We have to have a C5 but our vet has moved to tri annual vaccinations.

I think its extremely beneficial especially for bitch's.

That's great news! Just out of curiosity, how much does your vet charge for this?

I've just had Will's done (still waiting or the results) because of his muscle myosotis; I paid $83 for the costly + $252 for the testing which I thought was a bit steep.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I accept titre testing as well as I know a lot of people are moving away from yearly vaccinations in favour of the 3 year scheme. As long as you can provide me with some viable medical paperwork I will accept the dog at the school :)

That is very cool :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sadly, titre testing is not adequate for my local boarding kennels where I put my dogs from time to time.

We have to have a C5 but our vet has moved to tri annual vaccinations.

I think its extremely beneficial especially for bitch's.

Maybe someone on DOL can recommend a kennel near you who accepts titre testing?

I'm going to be titre testing from now on.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

That's great news! Just out of curiosity, how much does your vet charge for this?

I've just had Will's done (still waiting or the results) because of his muscle myosotis; I paid $83 for the costly + $252 for the testing which I thought was a bit steep.

Sorry, I'm not sure how much the titre test costs.

But, last time, the ultrasound cost $325 and the lymph node aspirate was $360*, so I have put $1000 away just in case (he is due for a six monthly check up).

*For six lymph nodes @ $60 per node.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

This is a purely curiosity question and not tryin to persuade anyone.

It this titre test a one off or is it repeated anytime through out the dogs life?

Why not just vaccinate annually and stick the dog with needles one a year rather than 6 in one hit?

Financially this goes to say if it has to be repeated. wouldn't be be cheaper to just do the annual whit is usually $80-$120 in rather the the $500-$1000 for the titre test?

Just weighing up pros and cons for my own choices.

Thank you

It this titre test a one off or is it repeated anytime through out the dogs life?

Why not just vaccinate annually and stick the dog with needles one a year rather than 6 in one hit?

Financially this goes to say if it has to be repeated. wouldn't be be cheaper to just do the annual whit is usually $80-$120 in rather the the $500-$1000 for the titre test?

Thank you

It's the idea that if the dog already has immunity, which can be found out with the titre test, why keep pumping it full of unneeded chemicals? It may be cheaper but it isn't in the best interest of the dog. That's the way I see it anyway.

Oh and yes it does need to be repeated.

Edited by Aussie3

Thank you

It's the idea that if the dog already has immunity, which can be found out with the titre test, why keep pumping it full of unneeded chemicals? It may be cheaper but it isn't in the best interest of the dog. That's the way I see it anyway.

I see you point, I don't vaccinate every year either but I live in the country and My obedience school don't required annual vacs. I am yet to start competing.

My reason for asking is I just had a girl who ended up having a split season and was blood tested 6-7 times within the 5 weeks and now she hates going to the vet. She a great girl and wont fight but seems depressed as soon as we walk in there, done a couple of social visits during this period but that hasn't helped her.

I am now opting out of the ultrasound conformation so I don't stress her during the :crossfingers: pregnancy.

Edited by Angeluca

Guest Maeby Fünke

Thank you

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing - my Pug is recovering from cancer (Multiple Mast Cell Tumours). I have put $1000 away for his six monthly check-up, which will include a titre test this time around because I would like to take him to obedience classes. I used to have him vaccinated every three years but, now that he is recovering from cancer, I have decided that I would prefer to have him titre tested instead.

His six monthly check-up will include an ultrasound, lymph node aspirate, full blood test, urine test, titre test, faecal worm burden count and a dental examination.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I don't feel like having a vaccinations versus titre testing debate (but others are welcome to if they wish) :)

They only have to draw blood once for a titre test.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Thank you

I see you point, I don't vaccinate every year either but I live in the country and My obedience school don't required annual vacs. I am yet to start competing.

My reason for asking is I just had a girl who ended up having a split season and was blood tested 6-7 times within the 5 weeks and now she hates going to the vet. She a great girl and wont fight but seems depressed as soon as we walk in there, done a couple of social visits during this period but that hasn't helped her.

I am now opting out of the ultrasound conformation so I don't stress her during the :crossfingers: pregnancy.

Oh, poor munchkin :(

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry, I forgot to say... He has had tests like this before (six lymph nodes aspirated and a blood test) and he doesn't mind needles. He loves going to the vet and he is very chilled out. The vet staff nickname him "Cool Hand Luke" because he is so confident. I'm not kidding :laugh:

I'm sorry to hear about your girl :(

Thank you

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing - my Pug is recovering from cancer (Multiple Mast Cell Tumours). I have put $1000 away for his six monthly check-up, which will include a titre test this time around because I would like to take him to obedience classes. I used to have him vaccinated every three years but, now that he is recovering from cancer, I have decided that I would prefer to have him titre tested instead.

His six monthly check-up will include an ultrasound, lymph node test, full blood test, urine test, titre test, faecal worm burden count and a dental examination.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I don't feel like having a vaccinations versus titre testing debate (but others are welcome to if they wish) :)

They only have to draw blood once for a titre test.

Ahhh that explains a lot and I totally understand you view, I'd hate to expose a dog which had been though so much to any unnecessary vaccinations. Glad he is on the mend.

And no debate just info. I myself are anti annual vac.

And Ruby is very soft by nature. She loves the people at the vet but makes them feel horrible when they brought out the equipment.

And Ruby loved her visit to the Studs house and is now basking in the sun outside.

Edited by Angeluca

I paid about $80 per dog (I express posted the bloods myself). See if your vet is open to send the samples to VetPath in WA. They are the cheapest in the country I believe :)