Is This Ok?

JodyC

I am caring for a friends extremely pampered toy poodles for about 4 weeks. So far apart from being highly demanding as they are used to being in charge they are doing ok except that my friend left them tinned dog food :vomit: for them to eat... I was concerned about changing their diet whilst they are with me so requested she supply their food. I have since discovered that they rarely have tinned food but mostly have whatever she is eating (often on the table :shrug: ) as a result of the tinned food they SMELL :( I have cooked up some rice and pumpkin and added some grated carrot, chicken mince and an egg to give them. Is this ok? I figure this has to be better than tinned food but do I need to add anything else?

Thanks! I've cooked up a huge batch and frozen it in patties for them. They were quite happy to eat it :thumbsup: I just don't want to feed them the tinned stuff as it makes me gag as well as making them smell!!

I know. I reckon canned dog food smells about the same on the way in as on the way out. :vomit:

Makes me gag.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Thanks! I've cooked up a huge batch and frozen it in patties for them. They were quite happy to eat it :thumbsup: I just don't want to feed them the tinned stuff as it makes me gag as well as making them smell!!

I know. I reckon canned dog food smells about the same on the way in as on the way out. :vomit:

Makes me gag.

It looks about the same too :vomit:

There is absolutely no reason why the dogs should smell because they have eaten cans of dog food. Until about 2 months ago I always did a big batch of dog stew with meat, chicken, ox heart etc & fresh vegetables & a little rice or pasta to thicken it & froze it in meal sized portions. Egg, cheese etc sometimes too. That was breakfast & later they free fed on various dry including different sized dental biscuits.

Then I changed to canned food for breakfast. They love it. Not fussy eaters anyway though ever. They like everything except peas. Still get the dry food later too.

My dog is the favourite & they get supercoat & optimum. Trying natures gift this week.They don't smell at all.

Poos are normal, they haven't lost any condition & coats are fine & same as ever. Pal is the only one that is not good with them so obviously they don't get that again. Otherwise they are thriving. Millions of dogs world wide do survive it & they don't all smell awful because of it.

Maybe the dogs are just smelly for another reason like anal glands, teeth, need a bath.

Its always best to keep animals you are minding on their normal diet to avoid tummy upsets. They need some form of dry food as well as just soft food. Everyone has their own idea of diet.

Am sure they'll be fine.

My mini poodle had a cast iron stomach and happily ate whatever. Lots of sugar on canned food :(

Like all smart dogs, poodles take charge if their human doesn't.

Spoilt poodles not a good advertisement for the breed.

On the bright side, they'll soon learn and can be very adaptable, if not made too neurotic already.

If people MUST feed canned food I recommend Nature's Gift and Optimum. Haven't tried the other's that you mentioned Christina, but if your dogs aren't smelling bad, then they are likely of a similar quality to those I mentioned.

Many of the brands most commonly advertised have the odorous effect - one famous brand is infamous for it and very likely a number of other labels come off the same assembly line. I'm not just talking cheap generic brands either.

Canned food is largely water so it is never the best value for money anyway.

I second Natures Gift canned. It smells quite OK. Is it the cheap PAL type food she has supplied?

That is the problem with feeding home-made - it becomes difficult if dogs are kennelled or cared for elsewhere. Thats why I still feed some kibble each day.