How Do You Like Your Dogs?

raineth

my BC x is a velcro dog, but is also quite anxious and needy as well as being a cuddle hound, what he has in common with my old BC is that they both behave / behaved like my shadow - I move, the dog moves like they are on an invisible lead, I like that in my dogs. My OH prefers dogs that are a little more content to 'be their own dog' and hang out with their people without the compulsion to dog their footsteps as it were, I like that too - but if I had to choose I would pick my shadows :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my dogs like my BRD was. Willing to do anything, or at least give it a shot, not overly needy or affectionate but didn't mind being cuddled if she had to.

I have 1 Border Collie who has no concept of personal space she is constantly pawing and getting in my face and it drives me mental. But this is a dog that can pick up new things I teach her in a few goes & is very smart & good natured.

Her brother is not a cuddler, I have to make him lie down next to me for a pat & grooming. But again he is very clever and picks things up quick. I quite like his nature and if I could get him again but also good around other dogs it would be great.

The youngest BC x also has no concept of personal space, does not like strange dogs, and has an attention span of a flea :laugh:. But there is something charming about her that I love.

The JRT is a Terrier, that is all.

My oldest BC girl is a very independant, workaholic type. She is REALLY not into cuddles and will put up with being patted but will lean away and look very put upon while you do it. I don't like this in a dog at ALL, she is too aloof and we don't get along very well. She is a fantastic dog to work with though, I have done heaps of different sports with her and she is very good at everything she has tried. Sometimes I forget and cuddle her and offend her greatly :(

My next oldest BC is not a cuddler either. She likes attention/interaction and will follow me about and will nudge for pats, but doesn't do lap sitting etc. So when I talked to Gael's breeder originally I said I want a dog for agility and tracking but really above all I MUST have a cuddly dog. I got my cuddly dog, I adore her, she is very velcro, needy, in my face on my lap as often as she can be. She loves all her people friends too and feels they need many cuddles. She likes to sit on people's laps at agility shows and poke her nose down their tops and inhale noisily:("you smell so nice my lovely friend").

The Brittany is also a snuggler and a heat-seeking snuggler at that, and refuses to contemplate sitting by herself when there is a lap to sleep on. She is very affectionate but more with her family than like Gael with everyone. She is the sort of dog where you go outside to take the recycling out and she is overjoyed at your return as if you had been gone for hours. It is very cute and so I forgive her occasional naughtiness.

Cuddly is the MOST important thing to me :thumbsup:

You sort of described so well the reason that I could never be without a Brittany :angel: