Or, You Know, Pet Rescue ...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else find it mildly irritating that a photo of an unusual purebred dog (Boston Terrier) is used to attract interest, but with the slogan "Don't shop, adopt" attached?

Seems that purebreds are ok so long as they can be utilised for publicity...

Clearly way too much time on their hands - surely it would be just as useful to point people directly to Pet Rescue?

Yes. And if they have time & resources to offer, then offer them to the PetRescue team.

As to locating a type of dog...I've found how easy it is to locate a dog by breed label on PetRescue. Even tho' their Search on site doesn't include breed. Just Google breed label and Pet Rescue.

Clearly way too much time on their hands - surely it would be just as useful to point people directly to Pet Rescue?

Yes. And if they have time & resources to offer, then offer them to the PetRescue team.

As to locating a type of dog...I've found how easy it is to locate a dog by breed label on PetRescue. Even tho' their Search on site doesn't include breed. Just Google breed label and Pet Rescue.

It is a tad dangerous unknown people doing home checks for them/or so called rescue groups, and unknown people entering unknown peoples properties. I was suspicious from their initial email, they are trying to reinvent the wheel, why would they take on all the work they are dong with this when we all do it ourselves by being a rescue group and some of us have been doing it for decades.

Maree

CPR

They're just one of many different groups all trying to do their part. I cant really see the problem.

I agree that using a pedigree dog, that is a desirable breed, is possibly a confusing message to be sending. You can't automatically assume that they're against purebred breeding though. That's a bit of a jump. They may mean not to purchase from pet shops. In which case, a fluffy is some description would have been better as these are the most common types in pet shops.

I don't agree with every tactic or objective they stand for but then I find that many groups these days do soemthing that I personally don't agree with. Rescue is huge now. We all have different ways of viewing it. We all have strengths and weaknesses. We all, mostly, do what we think is best for the dogs and cats.

Clarification if you will. Are you saying that everyone:

- who believes in Oscars Law is against breeding of purebred dogs?

- that this particular group support Oscars Law and are against purebred breeding?

I know several people who support this group, Oscars Law and they also support purebred dog breeding.

Therefore from a logical stand point, your post is either missing vital information or sits in the same boat.

Edited by ~Anne~

I have seen a large number of OL supporters attack registered breeders. If Debra truly does support registered breeders instead of a token phrase here and there she does nothing to dampen the hatred towards registered breeders from the supporters. It is easy to see that it is supporters doing it because a lot have wants Oscar's Law in their name. The people behind OL are pushing for more legislation that will remove a lot of small registered breeders, if she truly cared about them she would think about what she is doing and push for enforcement of existing legislation to control the bad puppy farms. Of course there will be some who support both registered breeders and OL, but the majority of discussions I have seen between OL supporters and people defending breeders have been hostile. If I can see it then the OL leaders would also be aware yet I have not seen anything from the leaders to differentiate between good and bad breeders. I wish it wasn't true as OL is getting a lot of attention. Feel free to show evidence that DT addresses the problem of breeder bashing by supporters. I'll get screenshots when I see breeder attacks from now on.

As far as I have seen in worldwide campaigns, the slogan "don't shop. adopt" is normally inclusive of buying from breeders. Correct me if I'm wrong of course...

But it's often hand in hand with the other slogan, "If you buy, shelter pets die"...

Personally I think they're both atrocious slogans, as I know most people around here do too. I've never seen how buying a pup from a registered breeder is less worthy of the title "adopting" then is buying a pup from a reputable rescue. Both are informed choices, both involve money changing hands, to a varying extent... One of my last litter I gifted to his new family - did they not "adopt" him into their family and home?

Another way of actively dividing dog lovers up into little camps that don't like each other.

The problem is they don't specify that buying doesn't include from ethical breeders and the supporters take it literally and quite frankly I don't believe that some of the leaders really want to clarify as I suspect they really do want to see all breeding stopped. Many people can tell you that they have been attacked by members of the new don't shop brigade because they have bought a registered puppy instead of a rescue dog. Ask anyone in rescue who owns a purebred puppy with papers, they get blasted all the time by other rescue people.

I also can not see anything to do with Oscars Law or anything against breeding dogs overall except for mass production and puppy farms. It's just as bad as tarring all rescuers or all breeders with the same brush.

If they state they are against breeders somewhere I am, as always, happy or be corrected though Jo.

Sub registered implies to me that it is a level under registration. Perhaps they are referring to the Australian Labradoodle Ass which uses registered Poodles and Labs?

As far as I have seen in worldwide campaigns, the slogan "don't shop. adopt" is normally inclusive of buying from breeders. Correct me if I'm wrong of course...

But it's often hand in hand with the other slogan, "If you buy, shelter pets die"...

I hate to say but sometimes 'adopting' from a rescue is easier than buying. You ring up, you direct deposit and a dog is dropped off or shipped to you no questions. Warm fuzzies all round and zero responsibility on the part of the seller rescuer.

I dare to question this method and inevitably the reply is "I suppose you'd rather see dogs die". No, I'd rather see rescue work to a higher standard than an online dog shop moving inventory.

Off topic really, sorry.

Alyosha, I agree. There is a need o re-think the messages they are pushing.

Still, rescuers (and breeders for that matter) are generally not marketing savvy so they may apply their messaging without understanding the implications. Ive seen many, many ineffective, confusing or just plain wrong messages coming from both breeders and rescuers alike.

I've never seen how buying a pup from a registered breeder is less worthy of the title "adopting" then is buying a pup from a reputable rescue. Both are informed choices, both involve money changing hands, to a varying extent.

Yes, I've always interpreted 'adopt' as covering bringing into your family either a rescue/shelter dog or a p/b from registered breeder. But seems many don't. Breeders are out!

The second slogan is plain silly. Has no idea of preventing dogs getting into shelters.

There's evidence that best option for puppies is to be born to a small scale home-style breeder who socializes their dogs/puppies well. Less likely to be later 'dumped'. This tends to be the way most registered breeders work (not all, of course).

It's that notion that I'd like to see Oscar's Law pick up.

I agree with their opposition to commercial size puppy farming. Especially when there are poor conditions. And very much because of the lack of socialization.

But it's not just enough to say...'that's what's not wanted.' They should point to the kind of breeding/raising conditions which are wanted. How on earth will there continue to be dogs to adopt.... at all?

Logically, the two 'worlds' of dogs, rescue and responsible breeding, complement each other. Awful, as you say, to see divisions.

Edited by mita