What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Out?

Guest hanko

Yes. He has to be desexed no later than 7 mths and they have to check his certificate or he cannot continue to go.

He is already 4 mths and I am not ready to desex him until at least 12 mths.

Was recommended by a friend and you dont have to desex early, like the other training one..

Sorry just to clarify,

The training school was telling you when you had to desex or you couldn't continue going???

That is the most insane piece of crap I have ever heard. Do they believe entire dogs are untrainable or do they just not have the skills to potentially deal with a dog who may be feeling its hormones. Run, don't walk away from these bunch of morons!!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand

They tell me its a safety issue. That they are more likely to have training issues, fighting issues etc... if they have entire dogs in training.

They also said I have to weigh up between a unsocalised dog who happens to keep his bits and will potentially end up in rescue with issues from not being trained or a desexed dog who is trained and maybe a little smaller.

I have to weigh which I want.

I told them I wanted him to get to 12 mths at least as he is a large breed dog and takes longer to develop.

They mentioned when I said I was worried and he needed to fully develop, they said well he cannot come training then. This is the main reason we have been looking for another school.

I also mentioned my husband grew up with intact dogs with no issues and somebody told me he was lucky..

Bonnies has come highly recommended and a person who goes says they will only let the VERY experienced use a check chain collar apparantly. They prefer to use a halti but have said they will look at my equipment I have when I go. I was already considering getting a blackdog halti due to pulling issues... It also is a VERY experienced trainer... I am confident in their methods expecially as I know others who have gone and still go...

I may consider desexing earlier if I feel we have issues and itws best for us as a family, however I will not be forced into it as I wish him to develop as much as possible first.

The trainers he is with already is HIGHLY recommended on this forum, many times.

and all over the net!

So I am kind of confused that their methods on this thread are not what others think right....

Yes. He has to be desexed no later than 7 mths and they have to check his certificate or he cannot continue to go.

He is already 4 mths and I am not ready to desex him until at least 12 mths.

Was recommended by a friend and you dont have to desex early, like the other training one..

Sorry just to clarify,

The training school was telling you when you had to desex or you couldn't continue going???

That is the most insane piece of crap I have ever heard. Do they believe entire dogs are untrainable or do they just not have the skills to potentially deal with a dog who may be feeling its hormones. Run, don't walk away from these bunch of morons!!!!

Edited by fluff1234

Good for you in waiting for desexing .... !

just to clarify , fluff .. dogs can be perfectly well trained using an ordinary flat collar ..and 'pulling problems' in a pup are usually not needing special equipment ..it's the method used which teaches (not physically controls) the pup that pulling is not the only option :) Puppies will pull - they are excited to be out & about ..and have not yet been taught that us poor humans dislike it ;)

I don't believe puppies need to wear anything other than a flat collar .... but maybe that's just me ....

Thanks. I did mention I dislike halti's when I emailed them and she said she would check my equipment. She has been going a VERY long time and has high recomendations and dvds and books out. She also lectures all over. She must know what she is doing, so hopefully this one will be great :)

We only have a harness and a martingdale and flat clip collar at the moment.

Good for you in waiting for desexing .... !

just to clarify , fluff .. dogs can be perfectly well trained using an ordinary flat collar ..and 'pulling problems' in a pup are usually not needing special equipment ..it's the method used which teaches (not physically controls) the pup that pulling is not the only option :) Puppies will pull - they are excited to be out & about ..and have not yet been taught that us poor humans dislike it ;)

I don't believe puppies need to wear anything other than a flat collar .... but maybe that's just me ....

They tell me its a safety issue. That they are more likely to have training issues, fighting issues etc... if they have entire dogs in training.

They also said I have to weigh up between a unsocalised dog who happens to keep his bits and will potentially end up in rescue with issues from not being trained or a desexed dog who is trained and maybe a little smaller.

If they have full control of their classes, good training methods and can read body lnaguage then why should those issues be a porblme at all. I have currently 4 entire animals at home, three of these are males, the female is being desexed shortly. One is a baby, the two older whippets have trained and trialed with success from limited outings, have never been in a fight with anything other than a rumble with each other, and are some of the better trained dogs that go to my club.

My dogs are extremely well socilaised - well my definition of it, I don't want my dog to play with all the other dogs we come accross I want them to ignore thema nd have no worth for them - They can go anywhere with heaps of people and dogs and not have an issue.

If anything your dog will grow taller from early desexing not smaller. He won't fill out as well but will be leggier.

What a load of crap, there is no way I would be going to any club or trainer that required me to desex my dog to continue training there. There are many great working and competition dogs that are entire. However I agree that management is an important part of raising and owning a dog.

IMO I think you're going to find going to the new obedience club like going from one extreme to another.

Interesting discussion! I know with horses, gelding later can tend to make geldings a bit more pushy? Masculine? Bolshy? But not all stallions are dangerous. And I look at my Hermon who wasn't desexed till he was five and is easily the most laid back, well-socialized pooch I've got.

why? :)

Not sure I get what you mean :)

Also I agree regarding desexing, hence why we have looked elsewhere...

What a load of crap, there is no way I would be going to any club or trainer that required me to desex my dog to continue training there. There are many great working and competition dogs that are entire. However I agree that management is an important part of raising and owning a dog.

IMO I think you're going to find going to the new obedience club like going from one extreme to another.

Edited by fluff1234

OK :) thanks :)

Are both methods affective? or one better than the other?

The person who recommended it to me also went to the one I am currently at and found the new one I am going to MUCH better for our breed. The methods worked and corrected behaviour in two sessions which she has spent weeks trying with the first school.

SAhe also knows a few with artic breeds who felt the same..

She rates it highly..

Hopefully it will work for me...

why? :)

Not sure I get what you mean :)

The current club you're going to sounds more like a purely positive club, Bonney's is much more old school.

Edited by fluff1234

unsure, it was puppy, but not super young...

Will have to ask her :)

But he is only 1 now and she has been going for a long while to the new one :)

The methods worked and corrected behaviour in two sessions

That seems impressive ! What was the problem ? puppy, or dog?

Edited by fluff1234