What Do You Do With Your Dogs When You Go Out?

Guest hanko

Guest Maeby Fünke

It depends on how long I will be...

I live close to work so I come home for lunch.

I don't usually go or stay anywhere where I can't bring him and I try to include him in everything I do.

I don't like leaving him at night and during the day (on weekends) I don't leave him alone for more than 2 hours.

eta

He has free run of the house and he sleeps on the couch or on my bed while I'm gone.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a large pen with a concrete floor, fake grass and lots of toys :)

I am suprised so many are outside, I would be so worried they would escape or be stolen.

The dogs either side of us are left outside all day and are a pest

The dog training said its not good for puppies too leave outside either..

Edited by fluff1234

I am suprised so many are outside, I would be so worried they would escape or be stolen.

Maybe they are outside cause they are after all dogs and it's good for them, rather then be cooped up in a pen for 3/4 of their life. Pups need to feel rain on their back, sunlight on their face, wind ruffling through their fur, chase a leaf blowing along the ground. I appreciate this is not always possible for people living in flats/units but if you have a backyard, then yeah I think the dog should be allowed to enjoy it, on his own terms, not with a human hovering over them.

Guest hankodie

Currently inside during the day. Having two pups 6 weeks apart they are separated by a pet gate.

Most afternoons either my partner or myself will go home and open the gate in between to let them spend a few hours together alone to build up to when their together full days outside.

Beckybec are your 2 learning to play nicely or do they roughhouse at all? I'd one day love to leave Hank and Odie and they generally get on very well but they do tend to wrestle quite a bit, not so much a problem now as they are roughly the same size but it might be an issue once Hank is fully grown :o Just asking because I've seen photos of your pup and I know that Sansa will be a bit bigger than mr. Saxon when she's fully grown :D

The trainers say that its over stimulating for a pup who is left outside when people go out, it makes training much harder as they are over stimulated and tired. The distractions of outside makes rest for them impossible and it shows in dogs they train, they can tell which ones are left outside.

They can also suffer from sunstroke, over heating and sunburn if left to free range.

Mine have access to the garden when we are home though :) which is pretty much most of the time.

Not sure how true this is, just what we were told at dog training. He says dogs should be indoors and safety ensured, when not supervised as puppies..

Maybe they are outside cause they are after all dogs and it's good for them, rather then be cooped up in a pen for 3/4 of their life. Pups need to feel rain on their back, sunlight on their face, wind ruffling through their fur, chase a leaf blowing along the ground. I appreciate this is not always possible for people living in flats/units but if you have a backyard, then yeah I think the dog should be allowed to enjoy it, on his own terms, not with a human hovering over them.

Edited by fluff1234

The trainers say that its over stimulating for a pup who is left outside when people go out, it makes training much harder as they are over stimulated and tired. The distractions of outside makes rest for them impossible and it shows in dogs they train, they can tell which ones are left outside.

They can also suffer from sunstroke, over heating and sunburn if left to free range.

Mine have access to the garden when we are home though :) which is pretty much most of the time.

Not sure how true this is, just what we were told at dog training. He says dogs should be indoors and safety ensured, when not supervised as puppies..

sorry but that would have to be the biggest load of codswallop I have ever heard. When I had GSD's they were pretty much outside 20 hrs a day. Their ribbons/sashes for obedience and agility speak for themselves.

Some dogs do get sunburn that is true, cause some of them, no matter how much shade is provided, just have to sunbake

I am no expert just what I have been told.They also do not undesrtand people who have dogs and leave them outside all the time alone, they say they need to be with their family. Why have a family dog if its stuck outside alone all the time?

They say it causes stress, illness, risk of theft and being baited or getting loose.

They are harder to train and have higher surrender rates. They are social animals and confining them for all those hours to a yard alone is cruel.

This is from what I have READ and some been told and not all my personal opinion although I do kind of agree. It also wont mean EVERY animal of course but statistically.

This is from a highly recommended training school and often recommended on this forum!

sorry but that would have to be the biggest load of codswallop I have ever heard. When I had GSD's they were pretty much outside 20 hrs a day. Their ribbons/sashes for obedience and agility speak for themselves.

Some dogs do get sunburn that is true, cause some of them, no matter how much shade is provided, just have to sunbake

Edited by fluff1234

I have never heard anyone say dogs/pups shouldn't be outside because its over stimulating! Strange. Mine usually sleep, sniff, p,ay and watch the world go by :)

I find that my dogs are relaxed and happy after a day outside but if they spend the day cooped up inside they are full of beans and need to burn off some energy. They are also more likely to be destructive if inside all day.

Not that they shouldnt be oputside, of course they should, just not left alone outside, whilst you go to work all day, from what I understand :)

I have never heard anyone say dogs/pups shouldn't be outside because its over stimulating! Strange. Mine usually sleep, sniff, p,ay and watch the world go by :)

I find that my dogs are relaxed and happy after a day outside but if they spend the day cooped up inside they are full of beans and need to burn off some energy. They are also more likely to be destructive if inside all day.

Not that they shouldnt be oputside, of course they should, just not left alone outside, whilst you go to work all day, from what I understand :)

Good grief - as long as they have shade and water and a safe environment of course a dog can be outside all day.

This is not from the training group but on a search you can find lots of info too saying the same or similar

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BackyardDogs.php

This article is only about dogs who are outside 24/7, not in the OPs case of just when she isn't at home so it isn't really relevant. The dogs are not going to get anymore companionship being left inside alone :p

Edited by Leah82

This was a article I found and NOT from the dog training.

I find personally my puppy cries to come back in as we are inside and its too hot outside. even when we are outside he prefers to come rest indoors.

Maybe its different with different breeds too, as my type of dog is not an outdoor dog and will be really unhappy and destructive if left as an outside dog.

I also have outside dogs either side of me and they are real pests!

I also said it was told to me by a reputable training school recently during puppy training and not just something I thought and made up :)

they are also behavourists.

This is not from the training group but on a search you can find lots of info too saying the same or similar

This article is only about dogs who are outside 24/7, not in the OPs case of just when she isn't at home so it isn't really relevant. The dogs are not going to get anymore companionship being left inside alone :p

Edited by fluff1234

Guest hankodie

Very true! I don't see how they would be any less lonely being inside than outside if I am away :confused:

In my case, both dogs definitely prefer being indoors but I have raised them as indoor dogs and I don't see anything wrong with that. Also, Odie is a brachy breed so being outside during the hot summer months is a worry.

Some people prefer their dogs outside while they are away and there's nothing wrong with that either. I think it comes down to whatever you get the puppy or dog used to.

Sorry that is rubbish.

Personally I do not think it is healthy for a dog to be locked inside all day, I think they need fresh air and sunshine.

My a Whippets spend a lot of time with me and that is in or outside depending what I am doing.

If a dog is not outside very often of course it will be overstimulated as it hasn't had a chance to realise there is no big deal.

I do agree does should not be dumped in a backyard 24/7 however I have had dogs who were outside all the time who were wonderful well trained companions under all distractions - after all isn't that the aim? to be not worried by distractions in any environment??

I can understand if there is inadequate shade or theft or baiting is a worry or a medical issue but geez, they need to be dogs and get dirty and feel rain and sun.

My baby puppies started going outside at 4 weeks for short stints then on nice days spent the day outside digging holes, chasing flies and soaking up some sun. They are very happy well adjusted babies

If anyone stole Gus they would bring him back darn fast ahaha.

He's being a PITA teenager this week.

This was a article I found and NOT from the dog training.

I find personally my puppy cries to come back in as we are inside and its too hot outside. even when we are outside he prefers to come rest indoors.

Maybe its different with different breeds too, as my type of dog is not an outdoor dog and will be really unhappy and destructive if left as an outside dog.

I also have outside dogs either side of me and they are real pests!

I also said it was told to me by a reputable training school recently during puppy training and not just something I thought and made up :)

they are also behavourists.

When I'm at home the back door is open and Brembo can come and go as he pleases. I'm home sick today and he has spent most of the day on the couch with me but has also taken himself outside and sunned himself on the deck.

Fluff - I don't know if you have misunderstood your trainers or they have just given you terrible advice. I don't see why your puppy can't spend anytime outdoors. What breed of dog is so precious that it can't spend anytime outdoors?

Dogs are outdoor creatures, sure society has turned some breeds into couch puffs on legs that have their own massage chair and indoor hydrobaths :laugh: and that's fine if your down for that thing, but a dog is a dog and if you have the opportunity to let it explore outside whether its a secured yard or a 100 acre plot then I am all for letting them get this experience.

My boy is attentive, fast learning and damn smart, he spends most of our working hours outdoors and when we are home has the choice to be in or out as he pleases via use of a dog door, I think allowing him to have this experience of being outside during the day has helped him mature and grow into the dog he is now, if he was stuck inside all day I do not feel that he would have progressed as well.

Edited by JackC

My boys stay inside. They're pretty good as long as the bathroom/toilet door is closed and they have no access to cardboard. That's only for up to 2 hours a day though.

If we're going out for longer than 2h they go over to my parents house.